The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

That is starting to change though still true for the most part.

LHSC (London's main hospital) is starting to get into a lot of issues with coronavirus outbreak.

Peel, GTA, Ottawa, and the more populous regions of Southern Ontario aren't doing great.  We have a total of 200~ total cases where I live.  It's not that bad considering this region has around 200k people living in it.

54 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Stawns is all about his 'No Doubt Bud'

I've seen what he grows in the Cannabis thread. I would like some, no doubt. :lol:

haha, we need some kind of new covid strain.  Couch lock for 14 days.

@luckylager you up for that challenge?

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Here's what concerns me about schools.

The argument is that schools aren't experiencing outbreaks or transmission.  So how long before they are?

It isn't rocket science to assume that, as things explode in certain spots, the "community" transmission will result in some kids coming to school with COVID.  It's a ticking time bomb to "wait" until that does cross over and start to spread (as we're starting to see).  It's only a matter of time because "kids" aren't the only people in schools....teachers and admin could be who they pass it to.  So if kids aren't spreading as many droplets, that's just Russian roulette.  Kids aren't immune..which would be the only reason to exclude them from precautionary measures to prevent the spread.  

If you're focusing on "groups"...they are groups of students in classrooms.  And even "a" kid can possibly spread this thing...if it's to a teacher who then goes walking through the halls, that's how it starts.

I get the thinking behind it and, at first, supported it.  But as things are on the rise, it only makes sense to use preventative measures rather than hopes and prayers.  "We're not seeing......transmission/cases in schools" doesn't mean we won't.

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sorry, efficacy rates are always going to be < 100% because not everyone will respond physiologically to a vaccine in the same sort of way, and as for the safe for everyone part... well, considering even water has an LD50 value... :bigblush:

Oh okay well I'll pass, I trust my immune system over some rushed science experiment.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:27 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nothing wrong with being concerned that they are rushing things. I honestly believe more of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine more because they are giving numbers that are around 70% effective. That seems a more realistic figure on an early attempt at vaccine than 90-95%. 

Since all data suggests we have a very good chance of survival, my odds are better naturally building immunity than taking an experimental vaccine.

Just now, Tystick said:

After one has built immunity, the virus can no longer exist in the body, so there's no passing it on to someone else.

and you're going to do that without getting the vaccine?

I don't disagree with the concerns about a rushed vaccine, but we're all going to have to take the risk fr the greater good.  Freedom doesn't come without responsibility

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's what concerns me about schools.

The argument is that schools aren't experiencing outbreaks or transmission.  So how long before they are?

It isn't rocket science to assume that, as things explode in certain spots, the "community" transmission will result in some kids coming to school with COVID.  It's a ticking time bomb to "wait" until that does cross over and start to spread (as we're starting to see).  It's only a matter of time because "kids" aren't the only people in schools....teachers and admin could be who they pass it to.  So if kids aren't spreading as many droplets, that's just Russian roulette.  Kids aren't immune..which would be the only reason to exclude them from precautionary measures to prevent the spread.  

If you're focusing on "groups"...they are groups of students in classrooms.  And even "a" kid can possibly spread this thing...if it's to a teacher who then goes walking through the halls, that's how it starts.

I get the thinking behind it and, at first, supported it.  But as things are on the rise, it only makes sense to use preventative measures rather than hopes and prayers.  "We're not seeing......transmission/cases in schools" doesn't mean we won't.

You work at a private school don't you Deb? Seems to me since they are getting funding from both the parents and the province. It should be not a big deal for them to buy PPE/Masks and do more than our public schools can. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Since all data suggests we have a very good chance of survival, my odds are better naturally building immunity than taking an experimental vaccine.

Your immune system finds it hard to fight viruses that it's never faced before. 

Native tribes were decimated by smallpox brought in by Europeans. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

and you're going to do that without getting the vaccine?

I don't disagree with the concerns about a rushed vaccine, but we're all going to have to take the risk fr the greater good.  Freedom doesn't come without responsibility

Yes if I catch the virus, I will eventually defeat it and build immunity. Just like any viral infection.

That's the funny thing about all of these lockdowns, they're just delaying the inevitable spread that will build herd immunity.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Your immune system finds it hard to fight viruses that it's never faced before. 

Native tribes were decimated by smallpox brought in by Europeans. 

Every virus is different, you don't get reinfected by the same flu strain every year.

Once you build immunity, you're good for life.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

Yes if I catch the virus, I will eventually defeat it and build immunity. Just like any viral infection.

That's the funny thing about all of these lockdowns, they're just delaying the inevitable spread that will build herd immunity.

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

you know the only way that we safely get herd immunity?  Vaccination

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic