The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, Tystick said:

Yes every year, the masses catch a flu virus, for example, and build immunity.

Unfortunately hundreds of thousands of people die, but we never lockdown the world.

it is typically 10s of thousands not hundreds.

There is typically a flu vaccine so that we can create herd immunity without having to sacrifice hundreds of thousands.

Most of your above statements are woefully full of mis-information.

There is no use arguing with someone who has made up their minds damn the facts so I won't argue all these individual points.

Part of the problem with good public health measures is that it requires a sense of community and doing what is good for the group.  Some people just can not build that sense of community and only think of what it may mean to themselves and you have demonstrated a great example of this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Yes every year, the masses catch a flu virus, for example, and build immunity.

Unfortunately hundreds of thousands of people die, but we never lockdown the world.

Herd Immunity Is Not a Strategy

What the term actually means, and what it doesn’t

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/herd-immunity-is-not-a-strategy/615967/

Forman: Right. And by the way, there’s never been a real case of herd immunity through infection.

Wells: For any disease ever?

Forman: Correct. In fact, the term itself didn’t arise until just a few decades ago, when we had vaccination programs....

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Why is Alberta pulling their 7-12 to home schooling? They must have some numbers that have them thinking about school transmission concerns?

from the news today on CBC it sounds like a lot of their decisions were purely political in ole 'Berta. 

We've seen that covid is a very localized thing, some places get it very right, others not so much, and a huge mix of in-between. So much depends on the make up of the community in a particular area I think it makes sense to focus on more local data. So far we're not seeing the fears play out in our schools yet, the majority is people in the community not following the rules. 

2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I'll go with the extremely good odds that are in my favor, versus the fraction of a percent that I might die.

I don't live my life in fear.

sure but don't you think others you come into contact with may have actual health concerns? its not all about you. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

from the news today on CBC it sounds like a lot of their decisions were purely political in ole 'Berta. 

We've seen that covid is a very localized thing, some places get it very right, others not so much, and a huge mix of in-between. So much depends on the make up of the community in a particular area I think it makes sense to focus on more local data. So far we're not seeing the fears play out in our schools yet, the majority is people in the community not following the rules. 

Mid Island has had quite the number of schools with exposures in the last 2 weeks.

I believe each district has their own protocols and from what I have witnessed they are mostly pretty weak. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Mid Island has had quiet the number of schools with exposures in the last 2 weeks.

I believe each district has their own protocols and from what I have witnessed they are mostly pretty weak. 

do you know how many actual cases? 

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

it is typically 10s of thousands not hundreds.

There is typically a flu vaccine so that we can create herd immunity without having to sacrifice hundreds of thousands.

Most of your above statements are woefully full of mis-information.

There is no use arguing with someone who has made up their minds damn the facts so I won't argue all these individual points.

Part of the problem with good public health measures is that it requires a sense of community and doing what is good for the group.  Some people just can not build that sense of community and only think of what it may mean to themselves and you have demonstrated a great example of this.

Very nice.

So actually it is hundreds of thousands every year: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=208914

So looks like you're the one spreading misinformation.

I am looking out for my community because I don't want to see people living in fear which is associated with lowering ones immune system: https://www.simplypsychology.org/stress-immune.html#:~:text=When we're stressed%2C the,lowers the number of lymphocytes).

But no sense in arguing with someone that has made up their mind and is ignoring the facts, right?

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Why is Alberta pulling their 7-12 to home schooling? They must have some numbers that have them thinking about school transmission concerns?

Putting on my conspiracy hat...

Maybe they want that to not pay overhead costs for operating a school.  Maybe reduce amount of teachers in AB.

Cuz AB is looking financially bad.  Didn't they lay off a whole bunch from the health sector?  This may be a cost saving solution to them.

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/herd-immunity-is-not-a-strategy/615967/

Forman: Right. And by the way, there’s never been a real case of herd immunity through infection.

Forman: Correct. In fact, the term itself didn’t arise until just a few decades ago, when we had vaccination programs....

Oh but I thought the vaccine was a strategy to build herd immunity?

Very confusing.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

do you know how many actual cases? 

I don't

I know Island health has increased a bunch in the last few weeks but I don't think they release much more info than numbers.

The schools are listed as 'exposures' and they are popping up quickly. 

https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/exposures-schools

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Putting on my conspiracy hat...

Maybe they want that to not pay overhead costs for operating a school.  Maybe reduce amount of teachers in AB.

Cuz AB is looking financially bad.  Didn't they lay off a whole bunch from the health sector?  This may be a cost saving solution to them.

Maybe but you'd think they would realise pulling kids from school would hurt their economy worse than the cost cutting measures...

Edit; but the current politicians may not care in the short term

Edited by bishopshodan

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think there was support for “herd immunity” for chicken pox before it’s vaccine came into widespread use: parents would have chickenpox parties to infect all the children at once and get the outbreak over with.  I think the idea was to infect all the children at the ages when the disease was least dangerous.  There is some point where a disease’s mortality rate makes this a losing strategy though...and it is much lower than Covid’s.  

Varicella case fatality rates are highest among adults (30 deaths/100,000 cases), followed by infants under 1 year of age (7 deaths/100,000 cases) and then those aged 1 to 19 years (1-1.5 deaths/100,000 cases)

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Actually people die from the flu every year.

It's very similar in that one's immune system is compromised, results in pneumonia, and unfortunately die on a ventilator.

I never said it was the flu, simply stated that strains are different and that's why you catch multiple colds each year.

That said, if you focus on proper nutrition and different methods to strengthen your immune system, you can potentially never get sick.

I fast, eat as good as possible, and exercise, I haven't been sick in years.

Please don't do that because it's not JUST about nutrition.  

Yes, you can boost your immune system to HELP protect yourself...but don't kid yourself, you can't ward this off completely by eating right and taking supplements.  Or everyone would.

It's sort of a slap in the face to those who've died...some in very good shape by the way...to suggest this could be prevented.  We can help do things to reduce the risk and even to help our chance of recovery, but this type of thinking is the dangerous misinformation that's spreading this thing.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but don't you think others you come into contact with may have actual health concerns? its not all about you. 

If you are at risk, but you need to go out, you should choose to wear a medical mask to protect yourself, and other than that you should choose to isolate in your house.

If we are open, we have more resources to help those that are at risk.

We should have been funding therapeutics months ago that have proven to be effective, and making those widely available to the ones that need them the most.

Take our time with the vaccine.

1 minute ago, Coda said:

I think there was support for “herd immunity” for chicken pox before it’s vaccine came into widespread use: parents would have chickenpox parties to infect all the children at once and get the outbreak over with.  I think the idea was to infect all the children at the ages when the disease was least dangerous.  There is some point where a disease’s mortality rate makes this a losing strategy though...and it is much lower than Covid’s.  

Varicella case fatality rates are highest among adults (30 deaths/100,000 cases), followed by infants under 1 year of age (7 deaths/100,000 cases) and then those aged 1 to 19 years (1-1.5 deaths/100,000 cases)

So you're saying putting kids at risk is not a new thing?

But again, even Chicken Pox did not achieve naturally occurring herd immunity. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Very nice.

So actually it is hundreds of thousands every year: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=208914

So looks like you're the one spreading misinformation.

I am looking out for my community because I don't want to see people living in fear which is associated with lowering ones immune system: https://www.simplypsychology.org/stress-immune.html#:~:text=When we're stressed%2C the,lowers the number of lymphocytes).

But no sense in arguing with someone that has made up their mind and is ignoring the facts, right?

You're not looking out for your community, who should fear this (to some degree).  Not "live in fear" but also not fool themselves through suggestions that somehow a protein shake is all it takes.

Millions of people are dying.  If you have the remedy to that, put it out there (quick) so people stop dying.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1