The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You're making an assumption based on this is "just the flu".

Normal flu, doesn't require you to be on a ventilator, cause strokes, cause major damage to lung tissue, wipe out your taste/smell. 

Doesn't take much research to see this is not "hype". 

Banking on your immune system is like riding a motorcycle in shorts and flip flops. 

Great if you don't get into an accident. Not so much when you meet the pavement. 

not to mention transmitting it to people who will die horrible deaths, isolated form the people they love and who love them.  To spout garbage about herd immunity is the epitome of narcissistic behaviour

• Hydration 1
6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what if you're a senior and need people to come in and help you?

We would have more resources to deal with those scenarios.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

one way you won't die, the other way you might die. Its binary science. 

People have had complications and have even died from vaccines before.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, stawns said:

not to mention transmitting it to people who will die horrible deaths, isolated form the people they love and who love them.  To spout garbage about herd immunity is the epitome of narcissistic behaviour

its pretty sad the number of people that are willing to put our seniors out on the proverbial ice floe, just because of some minor inconvenience. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You can't "prevent getting" COVID by just being healthy.

A good immune system can help FIGHT it.

Don't get me wrong...it's a great idea to focus there.  But it's not a way to assure you won't contract COVID...it's a tool to help you if you do.

I never claimed this is a method to prevent it, although maybe possible who knows.

If I get it, I trust my immune system to defeat it.

That's all I meant.

Just now, Tystick said:

We would have more resources to deal with those scenarios.

People have had complications and have even died from vaccines before.

you clearly aren't dealing with this issue and/or have no idea the challenges with senior care. 

You seem pretty self-absorbed in your view of this pandemic. Try to picture yourself at 80 today, and then tell me more. 

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

It's not misinformation to advocate for a healthy lifestyle and there's no such thing as dangerous information.
If anything, that type of thinking is dangerous because we should be discussing everything and stop pointing fingers and attacking each other.

Thinking critically and learning from each other is how we defeat this, not censoring information or labeling information as dangerous.

Look into the COVID-19 death statistics, they had on average 2.5+ serious illnesses and an average age beyond life expectancy.

COVID-19 can be deadly to those with a compromised immune system, that's what we know. That's how we should be strategizing.

To suggest you can somehow "ward off" COVID through healthy lifestyle is false.

COVID is a virus that spreads in droplets that adhere to mucous membranes in the mouth, nose, and even eyes.  So unless you cover those entranceways, all the good nutrition in the world won't stop it from getting in...social distancing and masks will help in that though.

Once COVID enters the body, it's only then that your immune system will kick in/matter.  And it isn't foolproof....fit people die too.  So it is dangerous misinformation.

Critically learning from each other is also dangerous....we defeat this by listening to the scientists and health experts who suggest a vaccine is the best way to tackle this.

Covid can be deadly to anyone....that's what we know.

• Hydration 2
36 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I'll go with the extremely good odds that are in my favor, versus the fraction of a percent that I might die.

I don't live my life in fear.

Also...it isn't just about "you".

You likely would recover.  But, in the meantime, those you potentially spread it to may not.

We live in fear of people like you...who aren't taking this as seriously as they likely should be and make it about "you" not "us".  As in everyone.  It's infuriating.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm an mma fan. Not many athletes in better shape than fighters...

Former UFC champ Garbrandt suffering from long term COVID effects: ‘Blood clots, pneumonia, and mental fog’

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/11/23/21590691/cody-garbrandt-blood-clots-pneumonia-mental-fog-covid-recovery-mma-ufc-news

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Again, Schools ARE NOT, the major transmitter of COVID-19 in BC. 

There may be ‘a lot’ of cases coming into schools, but those cases are typically being sourced from outside schools as opposed to transmission amongst those within a school. 

That’s the difference. 

OK, I cited a source for my comment...you say “but you’re wrong!!!” Regardless of what you believe there are cases in schools, and a lot of them. How do you explain the theory that they are not being transmitted there?  Does your argument hold more weight if you wrote it in ALL CAPS? Please explain to me how schools are safe and masks are not required in a classroom please 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you clearly aren't dealing with this issue and/or have no idea the challenges with senior care. 

You seem pretty self-absorbed in your view of this pandemic. Try to picture yourself at 80 today, and then tell me more. 

Picture myself stuck in isolation, feeling suicidal because I can't go out or see my family or friends? Yeah it sounds miserable.

Maybe lockdowns aren't the answer? Oh sorry, I'm not allowed to question that. Never mind.

• Hydration 1

My sis is a district admin, I don't ask her specifics as I know she is stressed and probably couldn't tell me much anyway.

I found this, interesting read. I don't envy her job right now.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/administration/kindergarten-to-grade-12/safe-caring-orderly/covid-19-protocols-for-administrators.pdf

50 minutes ago, Tystick said:

That said, if you focus on proper nutrition and different methods to strengthen your immune system, you can potentially never get sick.

I fast, eat as good as possible, and exercise, I haven't been sick in years.

You are "hinting" at prevention here. 

"Getting sick" is different than "recovering from illness" or the ability to fight illness.  Yes, you can boost your odds in that but I wouldn't count on that, alone, being enough.  Or sharing that it is.

And there are a lot of "I" and "me" statements which is likely why you aren't getting the message.  It's about how we protect others, too.

• Hydration 2
10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

COVID is a virus that spreads in droplets that adhere to mucous membranes in the mouth, nose, and even eyes.  So unless you cover those entranceways, all the good nutrition in the world won't stop it from getting in...social distancing and masks will help in that though.

Once COVID enters the body, it's only then that your immune system will kick in/matter.  And it isn't foolproof....fit people die too.  So it is dangerous misinformation.

Critically learning from each other is also dangerous....we defeat this by listening to the scientists and health experts who suggest a vaccine is the best way to tackle this.

Covid can be deadly to anyone....that's what we know.

Once again, never said a strong immune system will prevent COVID, though maybe it's possible, no one knows at this point.

I said I trust my immune system to defeat it.

That's unfortunate that you don't like to hear different ideas and perspectives, labelling them dangerous.

Did you know there are doctors out there that have said this strategy involving lockdowns and masks are not effective? They unusually get censored.

So are we listening to the scientists and health experts, or only the ones with the ideas that are allowed?

5 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Picture myself stuck in isolation, feeling suicidal because I can't go out or see my family or friends? Yeah it sounds miserable.

Maybe lockdowns aren't the answer? Oh sorry, I'm not allowed to question that. Never mind.

You're allowed to question anything my friend. Remember people might have answers though. 

For example, I'm questioning the threat to children in schools even though the BC leadership and experts are saying it's all good. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Tystick said:

how can you live next door to the US and even think something so ridiculous?  

Mental health issues can be treated, covid cannot and you can't spread mental health issues just by being around other people.  Other peoples lives literally depend on you not being a colossal dick

• Hydration 1
12 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Just as in physical "strength", there are things available to help build mental "strength" as well.  Not to overcome serious chemical imbalances or replace things like therapy and doctor assisted treatment for conditions that require them...but in helping prevent depression that comes with isolation.   There are great online courses/groups for anxiety, depression, stress.  Mindfulness, meditation, yoga, relaxation....coping techniques that are great tools.  It's not just the body to focus on...the mind can be "worked on" too.

Part of that is changing that mindset:  just as you would in fitness with a "just do it" attitude....when you're stuck in isolation and feeling empty you can focus on the positive.   Rather than have the imprint on your brain that "I can't"...you focus on the things "you can" do.  Being "stuck at home"  even PROVIDES opportunity to focus on self, with no distractions.  I am getting more fit through the forced actions of limiting social and other outings...this extra time is beneficial in being able to exercise and prepare good meals for myself.  My life before COVID was hectic HELL.  Get up, rush to work, work until dark, grab something to eat on the way home because I was exhausted,  get in at 7-8 (again, tired as hell), watch TV then crash.

Life is what you make it.  

We can "see" people through video chats and other measures.  Walks outside are encouraged.  So your negative spin is just that.  Sure, we have to modify our lives at the moment but that's a good asset...to be adaptable.  Body strength is only one kind of "strength" and we can work through this thing with a number of helpful strategies....yours being ONE of them.  But not THE only way.

Lockdowns are temporary and it's important to remind ourselves there will be light at the end of the tunnel.  It's not forever.  Death, however, is.

• Hydration 2
4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You are "hinting" at prevention here. 

"Getting sick" is different than "recovering from illness" or the ability to fight illness.  Yes, you can boost your odds in that but I wouldn't count on that, alone, being enough.  Or sharing that it is.

And there are a lot of "I" and "me" statements which is likely why you aren't getting the message.  It's about how we protect others, too.

Yeah I'm just looking out for myself when I advocate that people should celebrate a healthy lifestyle and build their immune system.

Very dangerous misinformation.

We should simply stay locked down until everyone is vaccinated with a rushed vaccine, killing all small business, and risking a global depression

That's definitely the best strategy here, there's definitely no other way to handle this without looking out only for myself.

• SNuck locked and unlocked this topic
  • SNuck featured and pinned this topic
  • SNuck unfeatured this topic