The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Not gonna lie, finding this stretch tough....a lot more teary as I face Christmas without my kids.  I know it's for all the right reasons, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.  It's just one year, so I keep reminding myself of that.  But damn I miss them.  Beyond anything measurable.

This crap can't be over soon enough....I know we're just entering the home stretch and it'll be awhile yet and, truth be told, it'll take me a long while after that to return to normal.   There was a deadly rabbit virus circulating for 3 years prior to COVID so I've been in "virus mode" for a long time now and am programmed to just do things with caution (will never again wear shoes in the home).  I'm exhausted.

we're not on the home stretch yet.  If we're using horse racing terms, we're probably just finishing up the back stretch, headed into the final turn before the home stretch.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Your doctor should be doing that. The company I work for has weekly emails on improving yourself, via exercise and nutrition. 

You can be in the prime of your life, and do everything right, and still have a heart attack, cancer or a myriad other illnesses.

Maybe be more upset that Mcdonald's, Wendy's, Pizza Hut, KFC, spends millions on advertising so people can eat crap food. 

still not going to protect you from infection and then passing it on.

• Cheers 3

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/16/us/mayor-resigns-over-masks-trnd/index.html

A Kansas mayor has resigned after backlash to comments she made in support of a mask mandate in her city.

Dodge City Mayor Joyce Warshaw submitted her letter of resignation Tuesday. It was effective immediately and it cited concerns for her safety.
"Life has dealt out many challenges in our world that have perhaps caused many people to act inappropriately but I do not feel safe in this position anymore and am hopeful in removing myself this anger, accusations and abuse will not fall on anyone else and will calm down," Warshaw wrote in the letter.
The Dodge City commission voted in favor of a mask mandate on November 16 following a spike in coronavirus cases in the western Kansas city which has a population of nearly 30,000 people.
In a December 11 USA TODAY story, Warshaw expressed her support for the mandate and said that it wasn't until the threat of the flu season and the spike in national cases that city officials felt it was necessary to pass a mask mandate.
"We just felt like we had to do something so everybody was aware of how important it was for everybody to be responsible for each other's health and well-being," Warshaw was quoted in the story, causing backlash from citizens.
Since the article was published, Warshaw has received threatening phone calls and emails from Dodge City citizens, according to the Dodge City Daily Globe.
Police are investigating the threats but could not provide any further information as it is an ongoing investigation, authorities told CNN.
"I understand people are under a lot of pressure from various things that are happening around society like the pandemic, the politics, the economy, so on and so forth, but I also believe that during these times people are acting not as they normally would," Warshaw told the Daily Globe. "I think it's best for me and the city that I love to remove myself from the commission at this time and from the mayorship so that the city can move forward and be the best that it can be because I believe in the city."
Warshaw was the third female mayor in the city's history and had served on the city commission since 2012, according to the Daily Globe.
The vacancy will be discussed at a city commission meeting later this month.

I would have walked as well. It's not like Mayor is a big paying job....
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That's a very bold and generalized statement for him to make.  I'm pretty sure it's a claim for which he has no proof to back it up with - or more likely, he's purposely ignored the proof that supports the opposing position.

I suppose thats possible, but I don't think we're dealing with that kind of person here. I don't like his politics but I don't believe Dix would take the risk of a blatant lie like that. I guess we'll find out. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

possibly..........but not a guarantee and it definitely doesn't protect from long term effects

Not sure why you wouldn't agree that being healthy and having a strong immune system would help you battle a virus.  Its pretty basic stuff.  No one is saying it's the end all be all but it certainly helps.

• Cheers 2

And maybe after a good workout, your body is tired and more easily susceptible to the virus.

Me, I'd like to see links to the purported ability of exercise and eating well as a defence against the virus. Till then it is all speculation.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, Stelar said:

Not sure why you wouldn't agree that being healthy and having a strong immune system would help you battle a virus.  Its pretty basic stuff.  No one is saying it's the end all be all but it certainly helps.

prior to late january, I was a very healthy, athletic, active individual with zero underlying conditions.  I am over 300 days of the complete opposite of that

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

And maybe after a good workout, your body is tired and more easily susceptible to the virus.

Me, I'd like to see links to the purported ability of exercise and eating well as a defence against the virus. Till then it is all speculation.

CDC, where common sense goes to die......

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

prior to late january, I was a very healthy, athletic, active individual with zero underlying conditions.  I am over 300 days of the complete opposite of that

Once again, I am not saying it is a blanket statement and claiming every person who is healthy, athletic, eats well is immune from the virus. I am saying that by following those principles you should have a better chance of fighting off viruses. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Stelar said:

CDC, where common sense goes to die......

Proof, or it is all spec.

Does exercise help against Covid-19?

Proof please.

I'm aware that exercise and eating well is indeed good for you, but nowhere at anytime, that I've seen, has anyone proven it helps fight covid-19.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

16 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He would have to be extremely naive to think that secondary transmission was not possible at the schools for those situations.

did he say it was not possible, or just that it has not happened, that he knows of?

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

Proof, or it is all spec.

Does exercise help against Covid-19?

Proof please.

I'm aware that exercise and eating well is indeed good for you, but nowhere at anytime, that I've seen, has anyone proven it helps fight covid-19.

Well you sure got me... Lets not encourage people to live a healthier lifestyle. Lets just sit around, eat McDonalds and pray we don't get sick. 

Damn, now your going to ask me for my research on if prayer works......

8 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Well you sure got me... Lets not encourage people to live a healthier lifestyle. Lets just sit around, eat McDonalds and pray we don't get sick. 

Damn, now your going to ask me for my research on if prayer works......

That is quite the strawman you are building over there, want some help? 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If he's not making a blatant lie, then he's being fed lies or incorrect information, and he's naively accepting that bad information at face value and asserting it as the truth.

I don't know which would be worse, to be honest - a lying cabinet member, or an incompetent one.

edit - and just to be clear (because there are so many other discussions happening in this thread), I take issue with him asserting that there hasn't been a single case of secondary transmission in the schools.  If there has been asymptomatic spread in the classroom, that would still be considered transmission.  Furthermore, there have been schools that have been hit with declared outbreaks - to the point of closure.  He would have to be extremely naive to think that secondary transmission was not possible at the schools for those situations.

I know for a fact there has........many

• Vintage 1