The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Even though the lowest rates in the country 60 70 percent seems high enough you would think the cases would be very low .  

We all thought that. We were told to have an overall 75% vaccination rate to reach stage 4 re-opening but alas here we are at nearly 80% in BC

Just now, Chicken. said:

We all thought that. We were told to have an overall 75% vaccination rate to reach stage 4 re-opening but alas here we are at nearly 80% in BC

Difference was certain provinces reacted swiftly when they saw that things were going south quick - meanwhile Kenney went on vacation.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I’m thinking Covid becomes endemic, and we will need yearly boosters.  It’s not if a person will catch SARS Cov 2, but when.  That’s why it’s important for everyone, who is eligible, to get vaccinated.  It’s just insane not to.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-alberta-deena-hinshaw-verna-yiu-1.6178262

There are 896 patients in hospital across the province with COVID-19, including 222 in intensive care.

In the last week, the total number of patients in intensive care has increased by 16 per cent, Yiu said. Every day, 18 to 20 COVID-19 patients are being admitted to ICU, she added.

"This fourth wave has resulted in the sharpest increase in ICU patients that we have seen throughout the pandemic."

AHS has moved to the highest level of its surge response, with hospitals working to add capacity without sacrificing safety, Yiu said

"We have asked our teams to identify and open any spaces that can be used as an ICU bed. This includes spaces such as operating rooms, post-anesthesia care units, observation spaces and recovery wards," she said.

"This means that patients needing critical care may receive it in a space that is not usually used for ICU. We are taking measures to ensure this is safe, given the extraordinary circumstances."

Yiu also said AHS is struggling to find enough health-care workers to fill shifts, especially in the intensive care units.

"We're redeploying staff," she said. "We're bringing on staff that have had ICU training in the past and bringing them back into the system. We've expedited ICU training so that we can bring regular ward staff to try to get them into the ICU."

AHS has asked other provinces if they have front*-line workers willing to come to Alberta to help, she said

We are literally out of space for ICU patients in Albertabama folks - UCP leadership at its finest.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

BC released numbers yesterday.  Non vaccinated adults (who are about 20% of the population) are 47 times more likely to end up in hospital with Covid compared to vaccinated persons.  The data is conclusive and not arguable.  This is now a pandemic of the non vaccinated.  These people are filling up the hospitals.  

Seems out of whack.  Highly vaccinated overall but worse than the first round when there was no vaccine.  Must be a much worse covid. Like way worse. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I’m thinking Covid becomes endemic, and we will need yearly boosters.  It’s not if a person will catch SARS Cov 2, but when.  That’s why it’s important for everyone, who is eligible, to get vaccinated.  It’s just insane not to.  

And we still cannot even determine the origin, or get conclusive evidence from China, at least we are being told it was not produced as a biological weapon. Damn that country and the geopolitical bending over backwards we do for them pisses me off. like who would want to risk going through this crap again.

Why it's so tricky to trace the origin of COVID-19 (nationalgeographic.com) 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Seems out of whack.  Highly vaccinated overall but worse than the first round when there was no vaccine.  Must be a much worse covid. Like way worse. 

I wonder if there will be a 5th round of covid? I wonder if there would be a separate vaccine for that? 

28 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think its got alot to do with the info people are being fed via social media.  I watch alot of Christian programing on YouTube.   So that's what it feeds me.  I have to be careful what I believe and not assume that because someone telling me something is a Christian, or claiming to be, that it is true. 

Oh I agree that's a problem. I'm still astounded there are this many people not aware of that blatant bias and willing to put their, their loved ones and their communities lives at stake, and crap all over our medical system/hospitals/health care workers, to cling to their bespoke 'facts'.

And again, completely baffled at how this became politicized in the first place. It's a pandemic. It's a medical/science issue. Science and medicine has thankfully given us a HIGHLY effective, and free vaccine, readily available to help minimize the effects, dangers and spread of this pandemic while minimizing the stress on our medical system. Any risks or side effects are in incredibly small numbers (especially when compared to the actual virus). The numbers CLEARLY show this. How/why are there still people not convinced?

28 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I've recently changed my views on the vaccine. 

And absolutely, good on you for having 'seen the light' so to speak :lol: Cheers!

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Alberta has about 4,444,227 people           

B.C. has about     5,145,851 people.

Seems governments can make a difference in our lives.

People too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

And we still cannot even determine the origin, or get conclusive evidence from China, at least we are being told it was not produced as a biological weapon. Damn that country and the geopolitical bending over backwards we do for them pisses me off. like who would want to risk going through this crap again.

Why it's so tricky to trace the origin of COVID-19 (nationalgeographic.com) 

Isn't it pretty much widely accepted its man made ? 

23 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I wonder if there will be a 5th round of covid? I wonder if there would be a separate vaccine for that? 

Likely every year we will need a booster.  The more people vaccinated though, and the less severe the impact on our healthcare system.  Yes, there will be breakthrough cases of serious disease, but they will be few.  So any future waves will be more like ripples.  Instead of 8/10 ICU beds occupied by non vaccinated Covid patients it will be 1 out of 50 or 100.  

Just now, King Heffy said:

That was before Delta hit us though. I'm grateful we didn't follow through and end up like Alberta.

Grateful we didn't end up worse, disappointed it had to be this way when we were so close. the virus is really giving it to humanity.

My day to day life is normal enough for now though so I am fine with status quo. Tonight will be my first night using the new vax passport how exciting :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Likely every year we will need a booster.  The more people vaccinated though, and the less severe the impact on our healthcare system.  Yes, there will be breakthrough cases of serious disease, but they will be few.  So any future waves will be more like ripples.  Instead of 8/10 ICU beds occupied by non vaccinated Covid patients it will be 1 out of 50 or 100.  

So a booster is a vaccine modified for the new strain? Or it just boosts the existing you already have.  If different strains keep coming back and you keep getting boosted is there like a tipping point where you can no longer outmuscle the virus? 

If you stop and think about it, there are alot of questions that can come up on this topic regarding the future  

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

But, you said 'widely accepted'.

Why?

Most articles I have read say it is not engineered and as Chicken pointed out it's not a weapon. 

Widely accepted but not totally accepted and can it be proven either way?  I haven't heard anything on that in a while now, but I've mostly heard stuff opposite of what you have.  

Would be nice to know for sure the origin.