Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


CBH1926

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Joe_Kerr said:

Also if youre scared of the unvaxxed givving you covid... why did you get vaxxed? Shouldnt you be "protected" from me

Last time I checked there was no vaccine to protect us from stupidity. 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

"bucko"??? ....and here's the troll of the month coming out of the woodwork.

Typical antivaxxer.  Same kind of person who protests at hospitals, schools, and cenotaphs.  Another of the cowardly people, who are filling up our hospitals.  

These are the very same idiots who believe they are being discriminated against.  

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Over 800 filling our hospital beds, cancer, heart, transplants etc., all either canceled or delayed. Nothing to see here. The friggin' logic of people is mindboggling.

Whatever.  Your mom only has stage 3 cancer.  Tell her to respect someone's freedom to choose and get on with her life.  and DON'T dare tell anyone to wear a mask k

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

That's about it in a nutshell.

I can not stress enough how much I don't care if a person decides to or not get the vaxx.  My business in their business doesn't exist because I like to let people live their lives.

 

The moment their selfishness though starts costing other people, or they feel the need to start telling others how to live their lives, or putting others at risk due to it is when I start having serious issues.  After 2 years of this, the non vaxxed majority is quiet, silent.  Masking up and going about their lives.  That vocal minority though...man....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, HKSR said:

 

My sources now tell me that this is not a full requirement by every school district.  This comes down to whether or not the region's Medical Health Officer directs a district to do this.  So not every school district across the province will be conducting this request.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 Special note for @ Ilunga.... You'll like the part about brain scans. :)

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/living-for-the-moment-study-points-to-cognitive-differences-in-people-who-are-vaccine-hesitant/ar-AASTD1R?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

AASTAzw.img?h=1080&w=1438&m=6&q=60&o=f&l

For fully-vaccinated Canadians, one of the pandemic’s most perplexing aspects is the reluctance of some people to get their COVID-19 shot or take preventive measures like wearing a mask.

A fascinating new study offers some clues, adding to evidence that people who accept or reject COVID precautions actually think in different ways.

The research concluded that vaccine hesitancy is somewhat associated with being less oriented toward the future, and more likely to choose a smaller reward today than wait for a better one down the road.

Insight into such cognitive characteristics could be used to craft more effective public-health communications, say the authors at the University of Waterloo, Toronto and Zurich.

To further test what approaches might work, in fact, they’re now using brain scans of study subjects to evaluate the effectiveness of different COVID-19 messages.

That might mean focusing on an immediate advantage to getting a COVID shot, says co-author Peter Hall, a Waterloo public-health professor and specialist in the “social neurobiology” of disease prevention.

“People are pretty entrenched at this stage and unlikely to pay much attention to messaging that doesn’t fit their view,” he said. “So it might be that the best approach is to identify an overlooked near-term benefit to getting vaccinated. It may also be that imposing a near-term cost for not complying would have an impact.”

Meanwhile, the same group, led partly by University of Waterloo psychology professor Geoffrey Fong, is planning to issue several more papers stemming from the research, which also looked at other possible factors — from emotional status to views about the severity of COVID-19, political orientation and trust in science.

The first study was posted on a “preprint” site and has yet to be peer-reviewed.

About 88 per cent of eligible Canadians are fully vaccinated, and finding ways to increase that rate is still important, said Dr. Kumanan Wilson, an expert on public-health policy at the University of Ottawa.

Evidence suggests two doses of vaccine may do little to curb transmission of the virus with the highly contagious Omicron variant dominating. But two or three doses still protects against serious disease, while the unvaccinated make up a disproportionate share of patients in intensive-care units. So vaccinating more Canadians would lift the burden on Canada’s “fragile” health-care system — and make lockdowns unnecessary, Wilson said.

“I am more of the libertarian bent myself and to the libertarians out there I would say ‘This is the best way to avoid these lockdowns,’” he said. “If everybody gets vaccinated, we can actually reduce the restrictions on our civil liberties.”

The new study, funded in part by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, surveyed just over 2,000 people, divided about evenly between fully vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

Using standard psychological questionnaires, they were probed on three aspects of cognition.

One looked at so-called “delay discounting,” with questions about whether the person would prefer $500 now or $1,000 at some point hours or days away. Another examined the subjects’ “time perspective.” They were asked, for instance, if they agreed that “living for the moment is more important than planning for the future,” or “I spend a lot of time thinking about how my present actions will have an impact on my life later on.”

Vaccine-hesitant people were a bit more likely to opt for the earlier reward and to indicate they lived in the moment.

The researchers also looked at “executive dysfunction” of the brain, asking subjects how often they felt that “I am likely to do things without considering the consequences” or “I act without thinking.”

But the study found no association between scoring high on executive dysfunction and vaccine hesitancy.

“There is a slight, but reliable, tendency for vaccine-hesitant people to be a little more sensitive to near-term rewards,” Hall said in summarizing the findings.

That conclusion is “entirely consistent” with what’s been observed on the ground, said Wilson. He pointed to the uptick in vaccinations in Quebec after the province required them for buying liquor or cannabis in government stores — a short-term benefit of getting the shot — and a new Simon Fraser University study that suggested there was an average 66-per-cent increase in first-dose vaccination after vaccine mandates were announced in Canada and three other countries.

“If there are Individuals who are more focused on immediate benefits than benefits down the road, it’s really going to be hard to convince them through messaging,” said Wilson. “But if you give them an immediate benefit, such as access to restaurants and bars and such, then you can potentially persuade them, if this research is accurate.”

The next stage of the study is using a non-invasive imaging technique called real-time near-infrared spectroscopy to measure brain activity as subjects read different public-health messages.

The imaging is meant to measure whether the message was relevant to the individual. Separate tracking of eye movement will try to gauge to what extent the words hold the person’s attention.

( 10:34 a.m. Jan. 18, clarified study’s findings related to executive dysfunction. )

• Email: tblackwell@postmedia.com | Twitter: tomblackwellNP

 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Whatever.  Your mom only has stage 3 cancer.  Tell her to respect someone's freedom to choose and get on with her life.  and DON'T dare tell anyone to wear a mask k

Hey man it's just a little standard Cancer, nothing to worry about. I'm sure there's lots of extra stages or whatever left. It could be worse. Imagine having to take an hour out of your day 3 times in 700 days to go for a needle? Now that's some seriously scary stuff.

  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

 

 Special note for @ Ilunga.... You'll like the part about brain scans. :)

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/living-for-the-moment-study-points-to-cognitive-differences-in-people-who-are-vaccine-hesitant/ar-AASTD1R?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

AASTAzw.img?h=1080&w=1438&m=6&q=60&o=f&l

For fully-vaccinated Canadians, one of the pandemic’s most perplexing aspects is the reluctance of some people to get their COVID-19 shot or take preventive measures like wearing a mask.

A fascinating new study offers some clues, adding to evidence that people who accept or reject COVID precautions actually think in different ways.

The research concluded that vaccine hesitancy is somewhat associated with being less oriented toward the future, and more likely to choose a smaller reward today than wait for a better one down the road.

Insight into such cognitive characteristics could be used to craft more effective public-health communications, say the authors at the University of Waterloo, Toronto and Zurich.

To further test what approaches might work, in fact, they’re now using brain scans of study subjects to evaluate the effectiveness of different COVID-19 messages.

That might mean focusing on an immediate advantage to getting a COVID shot, says co-author Peter Hall, a Waterloo public-health professor and specialist in the “social neurobiology” of disease prevention.

“People are pretty entrenched at this stage and unlikely to pay much attention to messaging that doesn’t fit their view,” he said. “So it might be that the best approach is to identify an overlooked near-term benefit to getting vaccinated. It may also be that imposing a near-term cost for not complying would have an impact.”

Meanwhile, the same group, led partly by University of Waterloo psychology professor Geoffrey Fong, is planning to issue several more papers stemming from the research, which also looked at other possible factors — from emotional status to views about the severity of COVID-19, political orientation and trust in science.

The first study was posted on a “preprint” site and has yet to be peer-reviewed.

About 88 per cent of eligible Canadians are fully vaccinated, and finding ways to increase that rate is still important, said Dr. Kumanan Wilson, an expert on public-health policy at the University of Ottawa.

Evidence suggests two doses of vaccine may do little to curb transmission of the virus with the highly contagious Omicron variant dominating. But two or three doses still protects against serious disease, while the unvaccinated make up a disproportionate share of patients in intensive-care units. So vaccinating more Canadians would lift the burden on Canada’s “fragile” health-care system — and make lockdowns unnecessary, Wilson said.

“I am more of the libertarian bent myself and to the libertarians out there I would say ‘This is the best way to avoid these lockdowns,’” he said. “If everybody gets vaccinated, we can actually reduce the restrictions on our civil liberties.”

The new study, funded in part by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, surveyed just over 2,000 people, divided about evenly between fully vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

Using standard psychological questionnaires, they were probed on three aspects of cognition.

One looked at so-called “delay discounting,” with questions about whether the person would prefer $500 now or $1,000 at some point hours or days away. Another examined the subjects’ “time perspective.” They were asked, for instance, if they agreed that “living for the moment is more important than planning for the future,” or “I spend a lot of time thinking about how my present actions will have an impact on my life later on.”

Vaccine-hesitant people were a bit more likely to opt for the earlier reward and to indicate they lived in the moment.

The researchers also looked at “executive dysfunction” of the brain, asking subjects how often they felt that “I am likely to do things without considering the consequences” or “I act without thinking.”

But the study found no association between scoring high on executive dysfunction and vaccine hesitancy.

“There is a slight, but reliable, tendency for vaccine-hesitant people to be a little more sensitive to near-term rewards,” Hall said in summarizing the findings.

That conclusion is “entirely consistent” with what’s been observed on the ground, said Wilson. He pointed to the uptick in vaccinations in Quebec after the province required them for buying liquor or cannabis in government stores — a short-term benefit of getting the shot — and a new Simon Fraser University study that suggested there was an average 66-per-cent increase in first-dose vaccination after vaccine mandates were announced in Canada and three other countries.

“If there are Individuals who are more focused on immediate benefits than benefits down the road, it’s really going to be hard to convince them through messaging,” said Wilson. “But if you give them an immediate benefit, such as access to restaurants and bars and such, then you can potentially persuade them, if this research is accurate.”

The next stage of the study is using a non-invasive imaging technique called real-time near-infrared spectroscopy to measure brain activity as subjects read different public-health messages.

The imaging is meant to measure whether the message was relevant to the individual. Separate tracking of eye movement will try to gauge to what extent the words hold the person’s attention.

( 10:34 a.m. Jan. 18, clarified study’s findings related to executive dysfunction. )

• Email: tblackwell@postmedia.com | Twitter: tomblackwellNP

 

 

more evidence for the need to implement mandates and taxation on anti-vaxxers. They need immediate consequences to push them to act. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hey man it's just a little standard Cancer, nothing to worry about. I'm sure there's lots of extra stages or whatever left. It could be worse. Imagine having to take an hour out of your day 3 times in 700 days to go for a needle? Now that's some seriously scary stuff.

Or even worse.  Wearing a mask.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, HKSR said:

My sources now tell me that this is not a full requirement by every school district.  This comes down to whether or not the region's Medical Health Officer directs a district to do this.  So not every school district across the province will be conducting this request.

Interesting........no one's sure what to make of it here.  Some of us think it's the precursor to a vax mandate, some think it won't because they'll see how very very high numbers of vaxxed and that it's not really necessary.

 

Everyone on my staff is just glad to hear something a little more proactive from the govt.  What we really want to hear, though, is that "medical mask exemptions" need to be based on an actual doctor.  That's the biggest one

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...