The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do we make these drugs in Canada?  If we don’t, we should get started.  Why not have these drugs available in our care homes, and if a resident shows a fever start them on the medication?  

No idea, but there isn't normally a big need for anti malaria drugs in Canada. It was approved in 1949 so it's a generic drug now. Anyone can produce it.

I would think it's probably manufactured in China and India.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Anti-Malaria Drug Shows Promising Results In Treating COVID-19

While several drugs are currently being tested to treat COVID-19, an inexpensive anti-malaria drug that's been around for over 70 years has been shown to halt coronavirus in patients who have mild to moderate symptoms.

corona%20virus_1.jpg

The drug, chloroquine, was first approved in the US in 1949, and has been widely used as a low-cost method to treat a variety of diseases, including malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. In several studies and through anecdotal evidence, chloroquine appears to significantly limit the replication of COVID-19, particularly when combined with antibiotic azithromycin (Z-Pak).

In a study published Wednesday by French physician-researchers, a total of 36 patients (20 who were treated with chloroqine and 16 controls who were not) revealed that 50% of the treated group turned from positive to negative on the third day - which grew to 70% by the sixth day.

Six test patients were treated with both chloroquine and Z-pak, and all six tested negative for coronavirus on day six.

"Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin," the study concludes.

Both the Dutch CDC and the Italian Society of Infectious and Tropical disease have recommended the use of cloroquine for coronavirus patients, along with doctors from China, South Korea and Belgium - which have added the drug to their treatment guidelines. Meanwhile there are over two dozen clinical trials are currently underway to study the efficacy of the drug.

Australian researchers at the University of Queensland say that a combination of chloroquine and Kaletra led to the recovery of some of the first coronavirus patients in the country.

"If clinical data confirm the biological results, the novel coronavirus-associated disease will have become one of the simplest and cheapest to treat and prevent among infectious respiratory diseases," wrote a group of French researchers on February 15 in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents (via Business Insider).

One of the three authors of that article was Didier Raoult, a prominent infectious-disease expert who's running a clinical trial in France to test a version of the drug called hydroxychloroquine on a few dozen patients with COVID-19. It's one of many clinical studies going on around the world testing chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine.

Early reports of Raoult's trial were positive, with Raoult saying chloroquine appeared to shorten the time that people with COVID-19 are infectious. -Business Insider

That said, chloroquine is not without side-effects, including headaches, dizziness and stomach problems up to and including diarrhea. All of which would be preferable to dying of coronavirus.

Meanwhile, US physicians aren't waiting for the trial results - as prescriptions for choloroquine have surged from 531 weekly prescriptions to 1,290, according to recent tracking data from IQVIA, cited by Raymond James (via BI).

The drug has become so popular that the UK has added both chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to a list of drugs which cannot be exported for fear that there will be a shortage in the country.

Early reports of success should be 'taken seriously' according to Italian scientist Andrea Savarino, who has worked at the Italian National Institute of Health since 2006.

During the 2003 outbreak of SARS — also a coronavirus — Savarino showed in laboratory research that chloroquine may be a useful weapon against it. But by the time his research was published in The Lancet in November 2003, the outbreak had dissipated and there were no human cases available to test.

"There has been a number of press releases, unfortunately not yet papers, but even the local experiments are things that should be taken seriously," Savarino told Business Insider. "Chloroquine plus the HIV inhibitors has produced interesting results, at least curative results, both in China and Australia." -Business Insider

Another drug which has shown significant promise for COVID-19 is Avigan, which has shown to shorten COVID-19 infections from 11 days to 4, as well as drop fever in patients from 4.2 days to 2.5 days after treatment is started.

This is good news!! As much as there are many labs working on a vaccine for coronavirus there have also been lots working on a treatment, which would hold us over until a vaccine is ready. There was a story on, I believe it was Global, the other day about a company that was using an AI to search for a single molecule that would kill the virus, but it would of course be best if a drug already available does the trick. Even if it isn't a cure, anything to reduce the outbreak would be great!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

No idea, but there isn't normally a big need for anti malaria drugs in Canada. It was approved in 1949 so it's a generic drug now. Anyone can produce it.

I would think it's probably manufactured in China and India.

Maybe we should be making our own medications, rather than importing them?  Hoping our government learns from this.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we should be making our own medications, rather than importing them?  Hoping our government learns from this.  

How much do you want to pay for your medications? Having other countries do it makes it way cheaper for us.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

How much do you want to pay for your medications? Having other countries do it makes it way cheaper for us.

How much is this costing now? I understand the rationale for why a overseas option was used. Healthcare costs are stupefying. 

It will come down to being a national security issue. Another hit on globalization. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

How much is this costing now? I understand the rationale for why a overseas option was used. Healthcare costs are stupefying. 

It will come down to being a national security issue. Another hit on globalization. 

How much is what costing?

Anyone of our manufacturers can get on this and start sending it out in probably ten days. All they need to do is look up the recipe and start cranking it out.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

It would be easier if we all had mansions and hottubs in our backyard Arnold... !  I'm just jealous since my complex closed ours.

I have only left my house to go to the grocery store and bike rides and walks this week. following orders!

24 minutes ago, aliboy said:

This is good news!! As much as there are many labs working on a vaccine for coronavirus there have also been lots working on a treatment, which would hold us over until a vaccine is ready. There was a story on, I believe it was Global, the other day about a company that was using an AI to search for a single molecule that would kill the virus, but it would of course be best if a drug already available does the trick. Even if it isn't a cure, anything to reduce the outbreak would be great!

And now there's this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/politics/trump-fda-anti-viral-treatments-coronavirus/index.html

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

How much is what costing?

Anyone of our manufacturers can get on this and start sending it out in probably ten days. All they need to do is look up the recipe and start cranking it out.

Hydroxychloroquine or plaquenil is the same thing as chloroquine ,i've been on it for 10 years or more , taken with methotrexate and naproxene,for my rheumatoid arthritis its cheap and widely available and it works.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Hydroxychloroquine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1955.[1] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[5] The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$4.65 per month as of 2015, when used for rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.[6] In the United States the wholesale cost of a month of treatment is about US$25 as of 2020.[7] In the United Kingdom this dose costs the NHS about £ 5.15.[8] In 2017, it was the 128th most prescribed medication in the United States with more than five million prescriptions.[9]

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Hydroxychloroquine or plaquenil is the same thing as chloroquine ,i've been on it for 10 years or more , taken with methotrexate and naproxene,for my rheumatoid arthritis its cheap and widely available and it works.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Hydroxychloroquine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1955.[1] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[5] The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$4.65 per month as of 2015, when used for rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.[6] In the United States the wholesale cost of a month of treatment is about US$25 as of 2020.[7] In the United Kingdom this dose costs the NHS about £ 5.15.[8] In 2017, it was the 128th most prescribed medication in the United States with more than five million prescriptions.[9]

I wonder, if those that are on this drug would not be able to catch the virus?

16 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

It would be easier if we all had mansions and hottubs in our backyard Arnold... !  I'm just jealous since my complex closed ours.

I have only left my house to go to the grocery store and bike rides and walks this week. following orders!

Appreciate the videos Annie is putting out trying to lighten the mood. To much panic, try and slow things down.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Interesting to see Japan with 956 cases and 33 deaths, 1 in 28.9

while Canada has  772 cases with 10 deaths. 1 in 77.2

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

Italy is going to be a completely different place when the virus is done there.

35,713 cases with 2,978 dead   1 in 11.9

That data makes no sense.  It might take some time to unravel what is accurate.  

Just now, gurn said:

I wonder, if those that are on this drug would not be able to catch the virus?

with the RH factor the immune system is what is attacking the joints ,with that comes disfigurement in the knuckles.  toes etc,  so taken with methotrexeate which is an immune modifying drug ,which pretty much puts your immune system as low as it could possibly get, cuts for me take weeks to heal , So when first heard this , this morn I wondered the same as you, but quickly realized with my immune system as low as it is ,it most likely doesnt have a proactive effect but  moreso taken in a reactive manner to attack this virus ,but I may be wrong about that. and I hope I am wrong.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That data makes no sense.  It might take some time to unravel what is accurate.  

I've said a couple of times in the last few days that the Canadian numbers are too early to really get a proper "sample" size and I hold that true for any number of infections below

1,000 minimum, the larger the number the more accurate the ratio. But I do NOT want to see larger numbers.

That said I found it interesting as a comparison.

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1