The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm with ya, I don't trust China either. Maybe an analysis from Gates might change your mind about time-frame:

Everyone is skeptical of Chinese data. But I do trust Apple when they say we are opening all our stores in China, When Starbucks says we have re-opened our outlets in Wuhan. You can't fake factories re-opening. Materials go in, product comes out. People come in and out for their shifts. You can see that. You can't fake it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toews said:

Yup, food is a vice for a lot of us. Going to the grocery store I just assume that everything I don't absolutely need probably has covid on it. Keeps me away from junk, we should all resolve to eat healthier in these times. Exercise frequently as well now. Health care can no longer be taken for granted anymore. Any illness could potentially be fatal if the system is overwhelmed to the tipping point. 

I make a list (shopping for Dad too), ONLY get what's needed and all at once in a quick grab and go way (no "browsing" the aisles).  Mostly just at Kins ... in and out.

We really have to think about every move we're making...even if it's limiting how long we're in the store and how we can prepare before going.  Know what you need and get it.  I'm using everything as it wilts/isn't day or two fresh in stews (made one last night...was fantastic).  Threw in all the veggies from the crisper that had been there since last shop ... rather than being faced with throwing it away in a few days.  The stew will last me 3 days.  (onion, garlic, peppers, grape tomatoes, parsnips, carrots, asparagus, mushrooms, celery including leaves for flavour) and some veggie broth.  

I also focus on buying some root veggies, etc. that I know will last longer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Toews said:

Yup, food is a vice for a lot of us. Going to the grocery store I just assume that everything I don't absolutely need probably has covid on it. Keeps me away from junk, we should all resolve to eat healthier in these times. Exercise frequently as well now. Health care can no longer be taken for granted anymore. Any illness could potentially be fatal if the system is overwhelmed to the tipping point. 

So very true @Toews

Seems like the healthy people are okay with Covid 19, but the unhealthy folk (whether through their own actions, or not) are most at risk.  I guess it’s a reminder to live healthier.  

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I make a list (shopping for Dad too), ONLY get what's needed and all at once in a quick grab and go way (no "browsing" the aisles).  Mostly just at Kins ... in and out.

We really have to think about every move we're making...even if it's limiting how long we're in the store and how we can prepare before going.  Know what you need and get it.  I'm using everything as it wilts/isn't day or two fresh in stews (made one last night...was fantastic).  Threw in all the veggies from the crisper that had been there since last shop ... rather than being faced with throwing it away in a few days.  The stew will last me 3 days.  (onion, garlic, peppers, grape tomatoes, parsnips, carrots, asparagus, mushrooms, celery including leaves for flavour) and some veggie broth.  

I also focus on buying some root veggies, etc. that I know will last longer.

Mrs Alf does the same; she cooks a lot of meals in her crock pot.  Trouble is I have to look at the damned thing. 

E1C4B1F1-5F96-4270-89B0-B681706E781E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mrs Alf does the same; she cooks a lot of meals in her crock pot.  Trouble is I have to look at the damned thing. 

E1C4B1F1-5F96-4270-89B0-B681706E781E.jpeg

But that food is BAAAAAD, throw it out.  That crock pot'll likely explode one day, get rid of it!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Just to keep things in perspective...

Today I received a poll on my phone asking to rate President Trump's performance on handling the coronavirus crisis....my only options were really good, great, or superb.  So don't be surprised if you see a Fox News report that says "72% of Americans think Trump is doing a really good job."  In reality, I haven't heard one person happy about his performance. 

You're joking.....right?

China Apologizes To Wife Of Whistleblower Doctor Who Died After Contracting Coronavirus

Here is one for the record books...

Six weeks after the death of Dr Li Wenliang - the Chinese doctor who tried to raise the alarm about the new coronavirus before it was even identified - Wuhan police have withdrawn their charges and apologized to his family.

2020-03-19_6-27-34.jpg

As a reminder, Dr Li - who warned the public of a potential "SARS-like" disease in December 2019 - was questioned by local health authority, and warned:

"We solemnly warn you: If you keep being stubborn, with such impertinence, and continue this illegal activity, you will be brought to justice - is that understood?"

Dr, Li was later summoned by Wuhan police to sign a reprimand letter in which he was accused of "spreading rumors online" and "severely disrupting social order."

And now, in a Weibo message, Wuhan Police apologized to the dead doctor's wife for their mistreatment:

On the afternoon of January 3, the police station of Zhongnan Road Street, Zhongnan Road, Wuhan Public Security Bureau reposted and posted online.

Information on SARS and other infectious diseases was investigated, and the police on duty were arranged to have a conversation with Dr. Li Wenliang for verification, to make a transcript on the spot, to instruct them, and to issue an instruction sheet, which were improper disposal, wrong application of laws, and irregular law enforcement procedures.

Wuhan Public Security Bureau decided to withdraw the instruction and solemnly apologized to the family members of the party for the mistake.

We will earnestly learn lessons, improve our work, and strive to strictly regulate fair and civilized law enforcement.

Thanks to the people for their care, support and supervision of public security work.

The administration will continue to work with the people of the city to work together, fight heroically, and work together to achieve the full advantage of the fight against epidemics.

An apology and promise to do better in the future... yeah that will make up for 1) his death, 2) his reputation destroyed in the last few days of his life, and 3) his family's mourning.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Today I received a poll on my phone asking to rate President Trump's performance on handling the coronavirus crisis....my only options were really good, great, or superb.  So don't be surprised if you see a Fox News report that says "72% of Americans think Trump is doing a really good job."  In reality, I haven't heard one person happy about his performance. 

If true....What are people expecting their country leaders to do? Lock down everyone, give them all a bunch of $ and solve this issue immediately? You can't control what people do, this virus has been out for a while yet people continued to travel and that is how this virus has spread...from people coming home from their "vacation"

No government is going to do much good in many people's eye. There is no book or formula to follow to go through such a thing....learning on the fly, think they are doing a decent job. If they went and shutdown everything immediately people would riot, cause fights, break into stores, steal, rob etc. 

It's pathetic enough people are going out and spending hundreds if not thousands of $ on food, toilet paper etc when all along the government has said that these essential items are not going to be in short supply. People need to be reasonable, this isn't the 40's we live in a world where items can be shipped daily and things can be made very fast.

People need to relax a bit, don't take it lightly but don't panic and cause shortages for other people because you think the world will end or stores are never going to get food or supplies in again...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

What did Trump do now