The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

So frustrating. The confirmed case numbers is a sham because of this.

Canada is going to wait till its too late before taking appropriate measures.

Take Care

We dont have enough test kits for everybody with symptoms, sad but true. A lot of people wouldn't bother to be tested even if they had the option.

My kids have both been sneezing and coughing for about a week now. I had a sneeze fit this afternoon and my chest is a little sore (most likely from all the bongs I smoked last night after getting a 2 week work holiday @75% pay)... I was a little worried at first, but then I did the self evaluation online tool and it told me to stay home for two weeks because I sneezed.

No test needed until I can't breathe. 

And that $&!# just ain't gonna happen.

The tests our hospitals do have on hand need to be available for people in actual distress. Hopefully then get 37 million test kits in the next week or so, then they can go door to door and swab every Canadian. People won't mind that at all.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rumblings at work that we will have to work from home. How am I going to work when the TV is right there????

I’ve been getting much more work done at home, all while staring at the stock markets, reading cdc and news on the tv playing in th background. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

As someone who is now doing full-time school from home via video conference lecture), I can attest that staring out the window, perusing the web and/or Googling the news, or simply standing up and walking out of the room is easier than participating in class. I don't even have to get dressed.  

Most of the time, work or school is much more productive in a work or school setting. 

Definitely takes an adjustment period! I found being in a studio was way more distracting since people could just come up to you at any time and ask a question. When the distractions are out of your control, the mental adjustment to get back on track and find your groove again is the killer for me. At least at home I'm in control of my own distractions.

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree with the common sense first paragraph - I think it goes without saying at this point - most places are relative ghost-town levels of activity - for good reason.

The second point is where you either make the effort to deal with the virus or you fail.

When all is said and done - there is a critical point at which a pandemic becomes near universal as you suggest.  Most experts think that a transmission rate in the area of 1% represents something 'out of control' to the point that it then represents the threat of reaching 30-70% of a populatiion.

The entire point of early, decisive, thorough action is to prevent it from reaching that 'curve'.

Some places have succeeded, others have not.  

The point is to be one of those places that succeeds.

Right now - one of the critical remaining vulnerabilities - remains at those places where people cannot and do not self-isolate  - or rather - have to intermittently break their self-isolation to get access to food.

That is entirely my point.  Those are sites where improvement of how this is handled is extremely possible - and necessary.

Look, I get your point. Maybe something can be done to improve hygiene in sites where congregation is an eventuality, like supermarkets and the like.

The point is that every single city that has managed to successfully flatten the curve has done so through the successful isolation/quarantine of its citizens. There's only one solution that actually works. Even if you theoretically perfect hygienic practices in all stores, the virus will still propagate at a high rate if people go out; Even if people wash their hands every 5 minutes, use hand-sanitizer religiously, put on gloves and masks, elbow tap, etc. 

I'll just end saying that you're correct in that people have to break their isolation for food runs. The point is to do so as little as possible and to go out as briefly as possible. This is one of those times where you learn about your own self-control. If you end up being one of those people who absolutely need to leave their house for alcohol and/or junk food, maybe you have bigger problems on your hands than Covid-19. 

I hope that eventually, social discussions center around how society can help people stay at home longer. Here in NY, the municipal government has set up "grab and go" stations designed to feed the student population a bit like a drive-through, minimizing wait times so that food pick-up is as quick as just a few seconds. Ideas have also been floated on door delivery. Future solutions will have to be along these lines.

Edited by guntrix

4 hours ago, AppleJack said:

Public health will not test you here even if you have symptoms (and a request from a doctor) unless you are in distress.

I basically had a public health nurse give me a management plan to tell me what to look out to seek further medical attention via the ER or calling them back. 

I am asthmatic and my asthma is crazy, coughing non stop, wheezing after coughing or walking up hill or cleaning my house. Also my chest hurts so badly.

I am in quarantine now till the end of March.

If you are not on heart medication - you could try Nutribiotic - which is grapefruit seed extract, essentially Vitamin P / a bioflavonoid that has potent antiviral effects.  I have no idea how effective it would be against Coronavirus, but it is one of those fundamentals that I always have and use when necessary - and it is a great immune aid.  Liquid form - stir it well and take 10 or 15 drops three or four times a day.  It costs about $20 a bottle - enough to last a few years = worth a try imo, to hopefully at least help your immune system gain a better fighting chance.

We are criminally under-educated about things as simple as the utility of Vitamin P.  Most people have never heard about it.

Additionally - any citrus, particularly lime and lemon will clean your lungs as effectively as anything.

We have the additional complication right now (in B.C.) of pollen - trees pollinating early - so some of us also experience hay-fever symptoms right now - which can make you feel weak, give you somewhat of a headache - and being a lung irritant, things that help clean your lungs, and boost your immunity, help.  Asthma is similarly aided, imo, by citrus - and grapefruit seed - it helps open blood vessels. combats respiratory disease.  Worth a try imo.  Foods that contain anthcyanins  can also be critical - typically foods that are purple, dark blue - they help build elasticity in the blood vessels, and reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Definitely takes an adjustment period! I found being in a studio was way more distracting since people could just come up to you at any time and ask a question. When the distractions are out of your control, the mental adjustment to get back on track and find your groove again is the killer for me. At least at home I'm in control of my own distractions.

Studio? You record for a living?

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If you are not on heart medication - you could try Nutribiotic - which is grapefruit seed extract, essentially Vitamin P / a bioflavonoid that has potent antiviral effects.  I have no idea how effective it would be against Coronavirus, but it is one of those fundamentals that I always have and use when necessary - and it is a great immune aid.  Liquid form - stir it well and take 10 or 15 drops three or four times a day.  It costs about $20 a bottle - enough to last a few years = worth a try imo, to hopefully at least help your immune system gain a better fighting chance.

We are criminally under-educated about things as simple as the utility of Vitamin P.  Most people have never heard about it.

Additionally - any citrus, particularly lime and lemon will clean your lungs as effectively as anything.

We have the additional complication right now (in B.C.) of pollen - trees pollinating early - so some of us also experience hay-fever symptoms right now - which can make you feel weak, give you somewhat of a headache - and being a lung irritant, things that help clean your lungs, and boost your immunity, help.  Asthma is similarly aided, imo, by citrus - and grapefruit seed - it helps open blood vessels. combats respiratory disease.  Worth a try imo.  Foods that contain anthcyanins  can also be critical - typically foods that are purple, dark blue - they help build elasticity in the blood vessels, and reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract.

I’ve been taking a liquid multi supplement for years. The effect that it’s had on my health, diet, and overall life has been huge. Blown away that there is near to no options for liquid supplements in Canada. The absorption rate is far greater than anything else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Look, I get your point. Maybe something can be done to improve hygiene in sites where congregation is an eventuality, like supermarkets and the like.

The point is that every single city that has managed to successfully flatten the curve has done so through the successful isolation/quarantine of its citizens. There's only one solution that actually works. Even if you theoretically perfect hygienic practices in all stores, the virus will still propagate at a high rate if people go out; Even if people wash their hands every 5 minutes, use hand-sanitizer religiously, put on gloves and masks, elbow tap, etc. 

I'll just end saying that you're correct in that people have to break their isolation for food runs. The point is to do so as little as possible and to go out as briefly as possible. This is one of those times where you learn about your own self-control. If you end up being one of those people who absolutely need to leave their house for alcohol and/or junk food, maybe you have bigger problems on your hands than Covid-19. 

I hope that eventually, social discussions center around how society can help people stay at home longer. Here in NY, the municipal government has set up "grab and go" stations designed to feed the student population a bit like a drive-through, minimizing wait times so that food pick-up is as quick as just a few seconds. Ideas have also been floated on door delivery. Future solutions will have to be along these lines.

Yup, food is a vice for a lot of us. Going to the grocery store I just assume that everything I don't absolutely need probably has covid on it. Keeps me away from junk, we should all resolve to eat healthier in these times. Exercise frequently as well now. Health care can no longer be taken for granted anymore. Any illness could potentially be fatal if the system is overwhelmed to the tipping point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Toews said:

Yup, food is a vice for a lot of us. Going to the grocery store I just assume that everything I don't absolutely need probably has covid on it. Keeps me away from junk, we should all resolve to eat healthier in these times. Exercise frequently as well now. Health care can no longer be taken for granted anymore. Any illness could potentially be fatal if the system is overwhelmed to the tipping point. 

Great point. I’m utilizing a few days off to tilling the soil in my front yard and a portion of the back yard for crops. My wife and I ordered seeds online. We’ve always grown more than we can eat and give away half to locals, especially the elders as they always take a keen interest in our gardens and have meaningful conversation. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rumblings at work that we will have to work from home. How am I going to work when the TV is right there????

I would love to continue working from home.  My work wants me to come in one day next week if something at the office needs to be done.  I'm terrified, and I have so much anxiety, and even thinking about getting into an Uber making my way into work terrifies me.  I've have not left the home since last Wednesday.  I stood outside my door to get some fresh air, just starring, and I saw a plane in the sky going north.  They were most likely going to Alaska.  

30 minutes ago, brilac said:

I would love to continue working from home.  My work wants me to come in one day next week if something at the office needs to be done.  I'm terrified, and I have so much anxiety, and even thinking about getting into an Uber making my way into work terrifies me.  I've have not left the home since last Wednesday.  I stood outside my door to get some fresh air, just starring, and I saw a plane in the sky going north.  They were most likely going to Alaska.  

Tell them you feel sick or about the anxiety and maybe arrange a video call over zoom.

An expert panel guiding Japan's coronavirus response may advise a relaxation of controls in regions that have not seen outbreaks, broadcaster NHK reported on Thursday, as Hokkaido prepared to end its state of emergency.The infectious disease experts, due to meet Thursday evening, were expected to recommend controls stay in place in worst-affected regions, while elsewhere schools could be re-opened and there could be a resumption of sporting events, the report said. The governor of Hokkaido, the prefecture with the highest number of infections, said his administration was scaling back its response to the outbreak, ending the emergency on Thursday to move to a new phase."We will end the emergency declaration as scheduled on March 19 and from the 20th move to a new stage to overcome the crisis of coronavirus infections," Hokkaido governor Naomichi Suzuki told reporters on Wednesday. Hokkaido had seen 154 infections as of Wednesday. Japan overall has had 923 cases and 32 deaths, according to the latest NHK tally. Among Japan's 47 prefectures, 22 have had fewer than 5 coronavirus cases, according to health ministry data.

Edited by samurai
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

An expert panel guiding Japan's coronavirus response may advise a relaxation of controls in regions that have not seen outbreaks, broadcaster NHK reported on Thursday, as Hokkaido prepared to end its state of emergency.The infectious disease experts, due to meet Thursday evening, were expected to recommend controls stay in place in worst-affected regions, while elsewhere schools could be re-opened and there could be a resumption of sporting events, the report said. The governor of Hokkaido, the prefecture with the highest number of infections, said his administration was scaling back its response to the outbreak, ending the emergency on Thursday to move to a new phase."We will end the emergency declaration as scheduled on March 19 and from the 20th move to a new stage to overcome the crisis of coronavirus infections," Hokkaido governor Naomichi Suzuki told reporters on Wednesday. Hokkaido had seen 154 infections as of Wednesday. Japan overall has had 923 cases and 32 deaths, according to the latest NHK tally. Among Japan's 47 prefectures, 22 have had fewer than 5 coronavirus cases, according to health ministry data.

That’s good, I hope it’s not premature and that they’re making the correct decision! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

That’s good, I hope it’s not premature and that they’re making the correct decision! 

At my institution new classes are supposed to start April 6th.  But classes are now going to start around May 6th.  Things are going to proceed incrementally.  

I suspect primary, junior, senior schools will start no later than mid-April.  Daycare and kindergarten have been open the whole time.  

The next stage is just getting used to living responsibly with this virus that isn't going to disappear anytime soon.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Great point. I’m utilizing a few days off to tilling the soil in my front yard and a portion of the back yard for crops. My wife and I ordered seeds online. We’ve always grown more than we can eat and give away half to locals, especially the elders as they always take a keen interest in our gardens and have meaningful conversation. 

Right on, man. You are generating good karma, and the world needs more of that. I have a small garden and my goal has always been to grow enough to give away to the neighbours just because I can. It's amazing what a few tomatoes and an ear or two of corn can do to build connections with people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Right on, man. You are generating good karma, and the world needs more of that. I have a small garden and my goal has always been to grow enough to give away to the neighbours just because I can. It's amazing what a few tomatoes and an ear or two of corn can do to build connections with people. 

People love zucchini most in the neighborhood. They come from miles around for it. :lol: