The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, gurn said:

MY opinion:

If people are repeatedly asked to provide a source, for their claims, and repeatedly do not do so;  they should not be allowed to post.

That's why millions of Canadians have hit the streets fwiw. Because their experience-based opinions are being shut out by an oppressive media filter.

Meanwhile completely valid peer reviewed sources are also being fact checked by infochecker regimes. The infocheckers however are less qualified than the sources to form opinions. 

And now it's so bad that the majority of the nation feels their concerns are going unheard. Hence the emergency parliamentary debate, the cpc ditching EOT and Trudeau having to come out of hiding. Not good. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

The period of rampant infections was late December to mid January. Uncounted mostly because BC's testing was overwhelmed. Month later... No sign of overwhelmed hospitals. Good news. So BC along with the other provinces will inevitably remove restrictions as the public demands. Only a matter of time. 

Yup, that is likely the end game for the freedumb convoy as well.  Restrictions will get lifted as they have in every other wave as the wave recedes via its natural course.

There is no way that any government would agree to lifting all restrictions and agreeing to not re-implement any, that line of demands is ludicrous and completely unrealistic.

12 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

That's why millions of Canadians have hit the streets fwiw. Because their experience-based opinions are being shut out by an oppressive media filter.

Meanwhile completely valid peer reviewed sources are also being fact checked by infochecker regimes. The infocheckers however are less qualified than the sources to form opinions. 

And now it's so bad that the majority of the nation feels their concerns are going unheard. Hence the emergency parliamentary debate, the cpc ditching EOT and Trudeau having to come out of hiding. Not good. 

You say "infocheckers" like it's something we should be ashamed of.  People who are worried about being fact checked are people who have good reason to be worried about having their facts checked

Regarding a previous comment..........why do you think our hospitals have teetered on the edge, but haven't gone over?

Why do you think Alberta and Saskatchewans did?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

The period of rampant infections was late December to mid January. Uncounted mostly because BC's testing was overwhelmed. Month later... No sign of overwhelmed hospitals. Good news. So BC along with the other provinces will inevitably remove restrictions as the public demands. Only a matter of time. 

Hospitals are still coping but let’s not make stuff up. These numbers thanks to @-Vintage Canuck-

Dec 29/21    192 in hospital    71    in intensive care

Feb 8/22       987 in hospital  141    in intensive care

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'll also add that a minimum post count and reputation should be needed before the off topic section is even available.  It will at least make the trolls work harder.

I see this on a lot of public forums lately, and can understand the view given the divisiveness of COVID and the related mandates.

My post count is miniscule. I've been reading Off Topic and the Canucks section for many years. I prefer to read the thoughts and opinions of others rather than sharing my own and being pulled into the madness of arguing against anonymity . I don't believe this constitutes me as a troll or a mult. The forum has moderators who should, and do, hand out suspensions and bans to posters who knowingly share dangerous misinformation. The trouble now is that both "sides" of this issue scream misinformation at each other, not necessarily out of a desire to disrupt the social order or cause harm to their fellow travelers, but out of a sense of frustration for 2 years of mandates and restrictions that we've never seen the likes of before here at home. This is not abnormal, rather it is the opposite, completely expected. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Seifer86 said:

I see this on a lot of public forums lately, and can understand the view given the divisiveness of COVID and the related mandates.

My post count is miniscule. I've been reading Off Topic and the Canucks section for many years. I prefer to read the thoughts and opinions of others rather than sharing my own and being pulled into the madness of arguing against anonymity . I don't believe this constitutes me as a troll or a mult. The forum has moderators who should, and do, hand out suspensions and bans to posters who knowingly share dangerous misinformation. The trouble now is that both "sides" of this issue scream misinformation at each other, not necessarily out of a desire to disrupt the social order or cause harm to their fellow travelers, but out of a sense of frustration for 2 years of mandates and restrictions that we've never seen the likes of before here at home. This is not abnormal, rather it is the opposite, completely expected. 

I would say that most of the posters here who are listening to experts are doing a pretty good job of providing credible sources for their arguments.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Seifer86 said:

Main reasoning behind my suggestion is to make less work for the mods.  These type of threads take a lot of time to clean up when one of the trolls gets loose.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Main reasoning behind my suggestion is to make less work for the mods.  These type of threads take a lot of time to clean up when one of the trolls gets loose.

While I agree with you in principle, I just don’t want these people infecting other threads about my Canucks to increase their post count. Last thing I want is to also hear their opinions of how the Canucks should be run.  At least for now they are somewhat contained. 

(and no I wasn’t intending to compare them to a virus but whattaya know…)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Hospitals are still coping but let’s not make stuff up. These numbers thanks to @-Vintage Canuck-

Dec 29/21    192 in hospital    71    in intensive care

Feb 8/22       987 in hospital  141    in intensive care

Not overwhelming. 

If it was then our hospitals are pathetic and that's a much larger concern. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

You say "infocheckers" like it's something we should be ashamed of.  People who are worried about being fact checked are people who have good reason to be worried about having their facts checked

Regarding a previous comment..........why do you think our hospitals have teetered on the edge, but haven't gone over?

Why do you think Alberta and Saskatchewans did?

It is a shame when correct info is rejected. 

Our hospitals are relatively fine compared the all the rhetoric. 

• Haha 1

Just now, stawns said:

and why do you think that is?

Numbers far too low. Experienced hospital concern level also far too low. And no military involvement.  If hospitals were anywhere close to being overwhelmed, there would be military involvement. 

The argument doesn't really work. It's rhetoric. And the last remaining guilt trip that could be utilized. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Numbers far too low. Experienced hospital concern level also far too low. And no military involvement.  If hospitals were anywhere close to being overwhelmed, there would be military involvement. 

The argument doesn't really work. It's rhetoric. And the last remaining guilt trip that could be utilized. 

I'll ask again........why do you think numbers are low in BC and/or Canada?

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Not overwhelming. 

If it was then our hospitals are pathetic and that's a much larger concern. 

The thing you have to consider is you can't house a covid +ve patient next to someone who is does not have covid, especially those that are post surgical. They need to be isolated. It's not just about the number, it's the number of beds/wards that the covid cases take up

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'll ask again........why do you think numbers are low in BC and/or Canada?

Hmm...I wonder which province(s) were/was crying for help to airlift anti-vaxxers out because they were full not that long ago.  Hint:  It wasn't BC.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 3

16 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Again, we would love to see where you get this assessment from.  We've been providing sources and data that demonstrate your assertions to be garbage.   You provide nothing.   Been asked numerous times and provide nothing.   Sad

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The thing you have to consider is you can't house a covid +ve patient next to someone who is does not have covid, especially those that are post surgical. They need to be isolated. It's not just about the number, it's the number of beds/wards that the covid cases take up

That seems to be the way things were prior to omicron. Now the reality is more along the lines of inevitability when it comes to infection. So hospitals are also loosened out necessity. At least this has been the case for many regions and provinces. 

• Haha 1