The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

they will be the new world leader by the weekend

could happen as early as friday

But trump said they should all go back to work. Would be interesting what his opinion would be if he gets infected.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would you waste scare testing resources on someone who's got the symptoms? you know what to do, stay home. 

you should be following the proper procedures now, it doesn't matter if you live in Kerrisdale or Killarney, people are allowed to go out and get food, etc. You have to assume its everywhere. Its just a waste of BC CDCs time to get into the weeds like you want, it doesn't change what you need to do, and might cause problems. 

Agree. The last thing we need is for people to feel they're in a "safe" zone and drop their vigilance.

That doesn't mean I want everyone living in fear, I want everyone living in caution.

Just look at what some young kids are out doing when they feel they're in the "safe age zone". I don't want to see the same with people thinking they're in the "safe geographic zone".

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Well... maybe you are right in your approach... it'll just take longer and risk having more ppl infected if we don't weed out as many and as quickly as possible.... maybe we don't need a lockdown after all seeing very few deaths compared to Italy/Spain.... 

this idea of weeding out tho, aren't you getting the message from the gov't? if you're travelled, stay home. If you feel ill, stay home. take your friend, she needs to stay the heck home. We just don't have the resources to test everyone so its on you to act responsibly, the gov't cant do it for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Well... maybe you are right in your approach... it'll just take longer and risk having more ppl infected if we don't weed out as many and as quickly as possible.... maybe we don't need a lockdown after all seeing very few deaths compared to Italy/Spain.... 

your posting seems to suggest you believe that people will somehow not be infected if steps are taken

that really is not correct and not really the goal

the goal is to slow down the rate of infection so that the community can be managed medically

the virus is here

it will eventually touch a vast majority of people

that cannot be prevented and it is not realistic to expect that

• Vintage 1

Just now, EmilyM said:

Agree. The last thing we need is for people to feel they're in a "safe" zone and drop their vigilance.

That doesn't mean I want everyone living in fear, I want everyone living in caution.

Just look at what some young kids are out doing when they feel they're in the "safe age zone". I don't want to see the same with people thinking they're in the "safe geographic zone".

I dont agree, everyone should be tested, symptomatic or asymptomatic and everyone should wear masks. Learn from countries like South Korea, Japan and Singapore. These half ass measures wont do anything and it has same consequences as Italy, Spain and US. They should be contact tracing every case and do everything possible to flatten the curve. The economy has tanked so I dont get all the half ass measures taken place in Canada, especially at airports where they ask a couple of questions as their method of screening. If they dont put strict measures because they are scared of infringing on peoples freedom and rights ,they will regret it in a month. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I like your optimistic view and sure hope you're right too.... we'll see if there are any spikes over the next week or two. 

If all of us would stick to the isolation protocol where one person gets out once a week to get food or the ones that must go out to provide essential services, we can definitely defeat this beast in less than a month!

following on my previous post to you

we will not really defeat it but delay it

it will likely return again in another wave after a number of months

this is just how viruses behave

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

But trump said they should all go back to work. Would be interesting what his opinion would be if he gets infected.

EXACTLY!!!! Oh my, how things will change then. All of a sudden it will actually get treated with the seriousness it should have been all along. :angry::mad:

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this idea of weeding out tho, aren't you getting the message from the gov't? if you're travelled, stay home. If you feel ill, stay home. take your friend, she needs to stay the heck home. We just don't have the resources to test everyone so its on you to act responsibly, the gov't cant do it for you. 

unfortunately the government will have to step in at some point. I doubt people listen and they care mostly about themselves. Canada is no different than Italy, Spain, US etc. People are people no matter where they are so we need tougher restriction. Now is not the time to go soft if you dont want this to get out of control here in Canada.

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

following on my previous post to you

we will not really defeat it but delay it

it will likely return again in another wave after a number of months

this is just how viruses behave

well.. I sure hope SARS won't ever come back... that thing has a mortality rate of 10%+

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

unfortunately the government will have to step in at some point. I doubt people listen and they care mostly about themselves. Canada is no different than Italy, Spain, US etc. People are people no matter where they are so we need tougher restriction. Now is not the time to go soft if you dont want this to get out of control here in Canada.

well it is easy to overgeneralize

but i think we are seeing glimpses and suggestions and perhaps hope

that bc is not like italy, spain, usa, etc

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not for Quebec tho, seems to be really increasing there. 

Returning snowbirds might make it worse (look up stories on many of them driving back and not bothering to self-isolate for 14 days after arriving in Canada.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

well.. I sure hope SARS won't ever come back... that thing has a mortality rate of 10%+

SARS is a different animal

which is why its spread was stopped

SARS will not become part of our annual virus season problem

covid19 will become another member we deal with annually

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I dont agree, everyone should be tested, symptomatic or asymptomatic and everyone should wear masks. Learn from countries like South Korea, Japan and Singapore. These half ass measures wont do anything and it has same consequences as Italy, Spain and US. They should be contact tracing every case and do everything possible to flatten the curve. The economy has tanked so I dont get all the half ass measures taken place in Canada, especially at airports where they ask a couple of questions as their method of screening. If they dont put strict measures because they are scared of infringing on peoples freedom and rights ,they will regret it in a month. 

Wait, I don't disagree with you in principle. I am all for ramping up testing measures and for stricter enforcing of isolation. My response was only towards the potential backlash that may occur with the release of community numbers giving certain communities a false sense of safety while their residents could still be asymptomatic carriers.

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Even more fortunate that MERS didn't spread wider as well. That one had something like a 34% mortality rate!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

But imagine how much more skewed his opinion would get if he happens to contract it and is one of the lucky ones who only experiences mild symptoms.