The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, coastal.view said:

well it is easy to overgeneralize

but i think we are seeing glimpses and suggestions and perhaps hope

that bc is not like italy, spain, usa, etc

Am not overgeneralizing but hoping is what got us here.Hoping for people to self isolate  or hoping that conferences like the PDC2020 gets cancelled which it did not. Am saying that a country like south korea, or singapore or Japan must be doing somethings right if they have already flatten the curve. Why are we going with failing method or hope? Just remember how they didnt want to ban flights from china 2 weeks ago and then they banned all foreigners last week. Canada is no exception. It was written in a scientific journal that countries with the most strict rules regarding self isolation and higher testing have the best chance to control this virus.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Am not overgeneralizing but hoping is what got us here.Hoping for people to self isolate  or hoping that conferences like the PDC2020 gets cancelled which it did not. Am saying that a country like south korea, or singapore or Japan must be doing somethings right if they have already flatten the curve. Why are we going with failing method or hope? Just remember how they didnt want to ban flights from china 2 weeks ago and then they banned all foreigners last week. Canada is no exception. It was written in a scientific journal that countries with the most strict rules regarding self isolation and higher testing have the best chance to control this virus.

i do not think you understand the steps bc has taken since january 15

the well thought out method being employed appears to be working.. but this is very premature to conclude... wait another 4 or 5 days

hope is always a worthy endeavor

i di hope the methods employed by detailed strategies and compliance by citizens will in fact work

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

SARS is a different animal

which is why its spread was stopped

SARS will not become part of our annual virus season problem

covid19 will become another member we deal with annually

That is a bit premature, I haven't hear any virologists or epidemiologists predict that (though I haven't been as in tune the last few days). It also assumes weather/seasons will have an effect on this COVID virus. Additionally, COVID is a SARS virus. It's medical name is SARS - CoV - 2. It causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The SARS outbreak in the early 2000s was less infectious but much more lethal than this one.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Even more fortunate that MERS didn't spread wider as well. That one had something like a 34% mortality rate!

The higher the mortality rate of a virus, the lower its ability to spread. Coronavirus is like the perfect virus, that could be used as a biological weapons model. The economical and global health complications of SARS, MERS, Nipah, Ebola, H1N1 viruses combined dont even come close to the impact that coronavirus has had. When a virus could shut down India, China and US, you know its bad.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

That is a bit premature, I haven't hear any virologists or epidemiologists predict that (though I haven't been as in tune the last few days). It also assumes weather/seasons will have an effect on this COVID virus. Additionally, COVID is a SARS virus. It's medical name is SARS - CoV - 2. It causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The SARS outbreak in the early 2000s was less infectious but much more lethal than this one.

other viruses people are exposed to annually

have respiratory and pneumonia like effects

but i agree.. it is premature to meaningfully discuss these things now

so i will stop

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this idea of weeding out tho, aren't you getting the message from the gov't? if you're travelled, stay home. If you feel ill, stay home. take your friend, she needs to stay the heck home. We just don't have the resources to test everyone so its on you to act responsibly, the gov't cant do it for you.

Need more of this:mellow:

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCNACELwBSFXyq4

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i do not think you understand the steps bc has taken since january 15

the well thought out method being employed appears to be working.. but this is very premature to conclude... wait another 4 or 5 days

hope is always a worthy endeavor

i di hope the methods employed by detailed strategies and compliance by citizens will in fact work

I think the steps taken were reactionary rather than proactive steps to control this. Canada knew how bad it was in China since February and they had ample time to put in place necessary steps before it got to this point. Am not saying it would have stopped the spread but it wouldnt be 3500 cases that we have now. Sometimes its hard to balance economical and health factors but the sooner we can deal with it, the sooner we can get back to work.

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There was a provincial tournament, much like there would be normally, except the regular provincials would be the end of the line. (We won those that season as well)

We started off by advancing from the zone, (Quesnel, Williams Lake, 100 Mile, etc) then there was the Northern zone. (Ft St. John, Dawson Creek, Smithers, Terrace, etc) After winning those two, there was a provincial tournament, played in Kelowna. It was us, Kelowna, North Shore Winter Club and a Team from the Island (can't remember for sure, but I think Nanaimo)

We were supposed to fly out from PG, but our plane was grounded due to fog, so we had to charter a bus on the spot and drive to Kelowna. We got in in the wee hours and had a game against NSWC at 9:00 am, so we were playing with about 4 hrs sleep. Luckily, we played like we could and went through undefeated. We scored late in the semis to beat Kelowna 3-2 and took care of NSWC 5-2 in the finals.

Montreal was a bit of a different story. We lost the opener to Sydney, NS by a single goal. We played poorly in that game, so it was disappointing. We got it together after that, beating Saskatoon and Thunder Bay, before losing to Toronto by a goal. Top team in both Division made the finals, so obviously, it wasn't us.

One of the cool things was that they did sort of a parade of teams before the finals game and they brought Roget Doucette in to sing the national Anthem. We all got to meet him. It was pretty much meeting a legend for us.

Thanks for this, you played some big time hockey teams on top of NSWC. I can just imagine what the teams from Saskatoon, Thunder Bay and Toronto were like - that is hockey central right there.  I am pretty sure your banner was the first or one of the first to go up.  There was probably no more than 5 I believe during my time. It looks like you guys were one of the best teams in Canada for your age.  As kids playing you saw the banners up there and it gave you confidence to play teams down south or out of province. That was always an issue for PG teams in my age.

I am guessing some of your teammates made it to the WHL and perhaps the pro ranks.  Another banner up there was probably for 1983-84 about - don't exactly recall.  They were 2-3 years older than me (A few years earlier I had their coaches) and they ended up winning the provincials and I believe a big tourney for all of Western Canada.  I knew a number of them, they were like superstars for us. About 4 of them ended up playing in the WHL, and from those, 2 were actually drafted.  I played with Turner Stevenson a bit as well.  He is an example of player who in his early years he was okay, but just kept getting better and better as he got older while other players seemed to plateau or not know how to get better.  His final years of junior he was an absolute beast.  No mistake about why the Habs took him in the first round.  He went on to have a very good NHL career. 

As a kid you couldn't have asked for a better life.  Hockey all the time and in the summer the lake.   

• Cheers 1

I think at this point, i will post good music...try to inspire people to be smarter. 

I love my wife and child. I love my mother and father in law. I love my parents in north america. 

I dont want to pass covid on to any of them.

I will keep myself safe, and to the morons....you get what you deserve...especially if you pass it on. Have that sheet on your conscience for a lifetime. 

Here in Japan the gov't has given 3 basic updated guidelines for being out. They are still asking people to stay home as much as possible.

1) avoid large crowds

2) avoid places with poor ventilation (schools when they open are being told to regularly change the air)

3) avoid close conversation

We had another cluster identified yesterday  - a hospital in Tokyo.    Clubs, small eateries, sports gyms, conventions, elderly health care facilities are the other cluster identified a while ago. 

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Some good news.. Is gas really 71 cents in prince George ? unreal !  under a dollar at most places in the lower mainland! I guess there is always going for a long drive to add to my list of things to do now

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/bc-gas-station-dropped-71-cents-2198709 

image.png.c137b8d5b4455e77fbb0e2fc5fe72c89.png

Perfect time to increase the carbon tax