The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

39 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

“Leader of the free world” tells Canada to go **** itself essentially with that directive to 3M.  Good thing the private sector basically gives Bone Spurs to stick it.

We had a term back in the old country, it is roughly translated to political conformation.

It was very popular amongst communist countries in Eastern Europe.

I think Donny boy has borrowed few books in regards to that topic from Vlad.

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

You are not looking at the entirety of the argument.  Death rates are unreliable cause the tests and recording of death are unreliable they are being disputed by experts not just this blogger.  Sorry I just saw your response above. I agree with you.

Yeah, death rates are unreliable, but I felt the blogger was arguing that death rates were unreliable and definitely lower than what was being presented. If you have 42% false positives and 42% of all COVID-19 deaths "recorded" as such despite actually being due to other medical issues, then the death rate actually stays the same. 

11 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

We had a term back in the old country, it is roughly translated to political conformation.

It was very popular amongst communist countries in Eastern Europe.

I think Donny boy has borrowed few books in regards to that topic from Vlad.

What is this term?  I'm from Poland. 

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Yeah, death rates are unreliable, but I felt the blogger was arguing that death rates were unreliable and definitely lower than what was being presented. If you have 42% false positives and 42% of all COVID-19 deaths "recorded" as such despite actually being due to other medical issues, then the death rate actually stays the same. 

I think it is sad to see that very little debate or in-depth explanation has taken place in important media about the complexity of this.  Including well known credible experts who raise some very important questions,  but have been excluded.  The information we are getting seems geared towards children who have been sent to their rooms rather than citizens of a country.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

On a side note...

I have always wondered why Canada can't be more independent?

I get it we can't make bananas and avocados but why are we so reliant on the US and China?

We should push "Made in Canada".

I get it that's a big ask. 

Cost is probably the biggest reason. It would be huge to have the facilities to make the items, so we would all have to pay more for "Canadian Made''. I would be all for it, a lot more jobs would be available, less people milking EI or Welfare

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, samurai said:

I think it is sad to see that very little debate or in-depth explanation has taken place in important media about the complexity of this.  Including well known credible experts who raise some very important questions,  but have been excluded.  The information we are getting seems geared towards children who have been sent to their rooms rather than citizens of a country.   

Prepare for worse case scenario.

because it’ll be worst than any projection.

Just like a war, there is a threshold whereby a frontline breaks and the war is lost.

Interesting to note that this phenomenon also happens like a pandemic, whereby it also happens before any indication of the oncoming end results.

Hitler lost the war the second he marched into Russia. Only after WWII could historians identify such a turning point.

In this case, the front liners are the Nurses, Doctors, Authority and supply chains.

When that collapses, we see the results in Spain and Italy. 

Today, if you live in New York and you have a heart attack, EMS will show up to your place and try to revive you. If that doesn’t work, it is the end. Trips to the hospital is reserved for Covid patients.

In Spain, old folk group homes are left empty, with the dead still in their beds.

In Italy, they’re choosing who has the best chance at survival.

This is coming to America. New York is six days away from running out of supplies. They run out of supplies, the staff will get infected. The staff gets infected, the number of deaths will rise.

But let’s trust that Jared Kushner guy. He’s the most qualified to run a world wide pandemic response. (Please do read the extreme sarcasm here).

Just like war where you wouldn’t send soldiers without machine guns, you shouldn’t send nurses and doctors to the frontlines without PPE. 

Hopefully Canada remains on top of the demand for PPE because that is where everything breaks down.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

On a side note...

I have always wondered why Canada can't be more independent?

I get it we can't make bananas and avocados but why are we so reliant on the US and China?

We should push "Made in Canada".

I get it that's a big ask. 

the race to the bottom for price, mostly. But we are going to need a lot of investment stimulus when this thing is over, and we need to put billions into our own heath product capacity, thats pretty clear. 

the US is also very dependent on Canada for a lot of things, something I'm sure that a**hole is being reminded of. Ordering 3M to cut off Canada just infuriates me, Freeland must be close to having a stroke. I do think she'll be able to navigate us through this but I might take up religion and start praying for Trump to have a heart attack. 

• Cheers 1

Canada coronavirus cases rise to 11,747 from 10,132

Fri 3 Apr 2020 15:04:56 GMT

The latest numbers from Canada

• Deaths to 152 from 127
The Globe & Mail reported this week that at least 600 nursing and retirement homes across Canada have cases. Quebec has been hit particularly hard because it's school March break was a week before the rest of the country and that led to lots of travel. Lockdowns came at the end of that period and people in other parts of the country cancelled travel.

Side note - A friend of mine from high school went on to become an actor. I won't mention his name for privacy sake. He's not exactly on the level of a Tom Cruise but he's quite active in Canadian television and I am sure some here would recognize him. He posted the other day on his Facebook page that he is Covid-19 positive. His doctor is certain it's Covid-19. He cannot find out for certain because we only test healthcare workers and people in respiratory trouble.

Anyone taking comfort in the numbers you're seeing of total infections should know there are way more than you're seeing. Even people who Dr's are certain have the infection are not being tested and counted. The situation is an absolute mess.
  • Vintage 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Canada coronavirus cases rise to 11,747 from 10,132

Fri 3 Apr 2020 15:04:56 GMT

The latest numbers from Canada

• Deaths to 152 from 127
The Globe & Mail reported this week that at least 600 nursing and retirement homes across Canada have cases. Quebec has been hit particularly hard because it's school March break was a week before the rest of the country and that led to lots of travel. Lockdowns came at the end of that period and people in other parts of the country cancelled travel.

Side note - A friend of mine from high school went on to become an actor. I won't mention his name for privacy sake. He's not exactly on the level of a Tom Cruise but he's quite active in Canadian television and I am sure some here would recognize him. He posted the other day on his Facebook page that he is Covid-19 positive. His doctor is certain it's Covid-19. He cannot find out for certain because we only test healthcare workers and people in respiratory trouble.

Anyone taking comfort in the numbers you're seeing of total infections should know there are way more than you're seeing. Even people who Dr's are certain have the infection are not being tested and counted. The situation is an absolute mess.

Certainly doesn't look like it's flattening. Unsure how that compares to a few weeks ago however.