The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Timbermen said:

They were good back then but they got too famous and it went right to their heads. They are very arrogant now but it happens to most of them, even Kermit the frog, he doesn't even go out with Ms.Piggy any more.

I've always been a Grover/Cookie Monster/ Oscar/ Animal fan anyways. :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

1,400 people, plus, laid off from the ferries. Many routes cancelled, others running half the time.

Essential service, carrying all the freight trucks and a few passenger cars.

No notice, no collective agreement rights, just told the day of lay off. No bumping, no severance. just go home.

Employer either couldn't or, didn't talk to the feds and get their employees covered under the 'Feds pay 75% wages" subsidy.

Multiple unfair labour practice complaints filed.

Waiting to see if the labour relations board and government will follow the law or just make up new ones.

Just a few passengers?

I'm not up on the rules, but are employees entitled to severance for a temporary lay off?

Collective agreement rights can only go so far, and they don't trump the safety of society, and they also don't trump the rights of the company, who has rights as well (this often gets forgotten in a union environment). 

With regards to the 75% subsidy, the government is meeting tomorrow, iirc, to discuss it all, so it's still being ironed out. Lamenting about that is a little premature.

Regardless, this is why people have to either be on EI or CERB. No one likes it, but this is the situation we're all in. My wife is laid off work for likely the next year with all of this. Because she was laid off on March 16 and not March 15, she was automatically put on CERB, so instead of making the max $573/week on EI, she's making $500/week on CERB. When working she makes $50/hr. Some of her colleagues, who make $15/hr, are automatically on CERB and making the same as her (some are bringing in 100% of their wage, some are making more with CERB than when they were working; she's not). It's not ideal, but everyone is just trying to navigate this unprecedented situation as best as possible. I mean, it has been basically one month, really, since this whole thing started to heat up and take shape. Personally, I think a little slack should be given to our businesses and governments. They're doing the best they can, and they're so far doing a pretty darn good job, all things considered.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So odd question. With all these issues on toilet paper, do you think all new home construction is going to make it mandatory that at least one bidet is installed per household? 

I know it's going to take up space. But for the future it might stop panic buying of at least one item then.

In reality, there is no TP shortage here.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

In reality, there is no TP shortage here.

Well before I was assigned working from home I got TP at IGA. Got one 12pack. In the two times I've been to either Safeway, Save On Foods, or even London Drugs.

Their shelves are still empty. Maybe I have to shop the smaller stores. 

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Just a few passengers?

Yes

I'm not up on the rules, but are employees entitled to severance for a temporary lay off?

Yes

Collective agreement rights can only go so far, and they don't trump the safety of society, and they also don't trump the rights of the company, who has rights as well (this often gets forgotten in a union environment). 

With regards to the 75% subsidy, the government is meeting tomorrow, iirc, to discuss it all, so it's still being ironed out. Lamenting about that is a little premature.

Regardless, this is why people have to either be on EI or CERB. No one likes it, but this is the situation we're all in. My wife is laid off work for likely the next year with all of this. Because she was laid off on March 16 and not March 15, she was automatically put on CERB, so instead of making the max $573/week on EI, she's making $500/week on CERB. When working she makes $50/hr. Some of her colleagues, who make $15/hr, are automatically on CERB and making the same as her (some are bringing in 100% of their wage, some are making more with CERB than when they were working; she's not). It's not ideal, but everyone is just trying to navigate this unprecedented situation as best as possible. I mean, it has been basically one month, really, since this whole thing started to heat up and take shape. Personally, I think a little slack should be given to our businesses and governments. They're doing the best they can, and they're so far doing a pretty darn good job, all things considered.

Severance and bumping was negotiated by both parties, thus management is disregarding the collective agreement. 

If the government orders something under emergency laws and rules then that is the way it is. However that did not happen here.

The 75% has been around since before the ferries laid people off.

And I too find it strange to still be working, while others are making almost as much while staying at home.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well before I was assigned working from home I got TP at IGA. Got one 12pack. In the two times I've been to either Safeway, Save On Foods, or even London Drugs.

I don't know why people are hoarding it so much and how much do they use? About two weeks before the outbreak, i bought a big Kirland pack from Costco. I live alone so one roll lasts about a week if not more. I have 25 rolls left, that will last me half a year. Why people think they need to buy a 5 year supply is strange to me.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's a shelf stocking and delivery logistic issue because people are unnecessarily hoarding it. Not because there's an actual shortage of TP though. 

This entire thing is media and people driven. There's no ACTUAL shortage of TP. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Countries carry 1.5 trillion in debt that is owed to China.

We should just tell them its canceled, payment for economic damage that they caused.

If they don’t like it, they can &^@# off!

As long as we're ok with more expensive goods, but more of it made here I'm ok with it. It would probably trigger inflation though. 

If more people are working, and we're more self reliant, that's a nice trade off. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Countries carry 1.5 trillion in debt that is owed to China.

We should just tell them its canceled, payment for economic damage that they caused.

If they don’t like it, they can &^@# off!

And not like they will have the man power they did.....but how can you put all the blame of a virus on one country?

if you go off the fact people say it started from bats but people in China been eating them for ages.....

so how do you put the blame on one country or another? 

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

And not like they will have the man power they did.....but how can you put all the blame of a virus on one country?

if you go off the fact people say it started from bats but people in China been eating them for ages.....

so how do you put the blame on one country or another? 

A look at CDC, and the number of critics for Benning on his moves. There are people that always want to play the blame game. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As long as we're ok with more expensive goods, but more of it made here I'm ok with it. It would probably trigger inflation though. 

If more people are working, and we're more self reliant, that's a nice trade off. 

Also China can stop being global factory, other countries can slowly start becoming supply chain.

To me it always made more sense to invest in Mexico and Central America.

Plus improving their countries will reduce overall immigration cost.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Also China can stop being global factory, other countries can slowly start becoming supply chain.

To me it always made more sense to invest in Mexico and Central America.

Plus improving their countries will reduce overall immigration cost.

Stop making sense. ;)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

Severance and bumping was negotiated by both parties, thus management is disregarding the collective agreement. 

If the government orders something under emergency laws and rules then that is the way it is. However that did not happen here.

The 75% has been around since before the ferries laid people off.

And I too find it strange to still be working, while others are making almost as much while staying at home.

Well, like I said, it's an unprecedented situation, so it'll take time to iron things out; maybe there just wasn't time to bump so many employees all at one? 

The 75% may have been announced before the layoffs, but I don't think it's in effect yet? My understanding is that it's still be ironed out and more details will be released soon once approved by government. If eligible, employees can get backpay to March 15th. No?

• Huggy Bear 1