The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

12 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Get over yourself and your admonitions.  I said I was stressed when I had to self isolate when I was reading about covid all day long.

I also said that when I went back to work weeks ago things were much more normal being out in the world and not locked up at home. I am less stressed out not being cooped up all the time. I, and my family, practice social distancing like we need to.

But my point obviously escaped you....the world is not coming to an end and BC is doing very well. And some posters on here are fear mongering and sound over the top scared which is unnecessary. 

This isn't all about you.  So...some good advice there "get over yourself".

Where is the "fear mongering"?  I'd like you to actually reference something you're referring to rather than just slamming others in general.

Your posts, in general, are inflammatory and angry.  Try to discuss this with less of that and more substance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This isn't all about you.  So...some good advice there "get over yourself".

Where is the "fear mongering"?  I'd like you to actually reference something you're referring to rather than just slamming others in general.

Your posts, in general, are inflammatory and angry.  Try to discuss this with less of that and more substance.

Go read the last 10 pages of this thread. There are posters getting all angry because they see couples out in public with each other and they are getting all pissed off about it.

Fear mongering.

I make some posts just giving stats that the deaths occuring from covid are mostly 86 years old and older.

Posters accuse me of not caring about old people.

Go read it. 

You and I obviously disagree about the pandemic.  What I usually do when that happens it just block the poster so we don't have to interact. The CDC won't let me do that with you I guess.

And by the way...I did discuss this with fact and evidence...but some posters are too emotional to accept that.

image.png.bad7a3cc21c40ab6e98a648921f6cf99.png

Facts. Most people dying from covid are either 86 plus or have underlying health conditions. That does not mean I do not care about my elderly relatives.

My point is almost all healthy persons will be fine if they get covid. 

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Go read the last 10 pages of this thread. There are posters getting all angry because they see couples out in public with each other and they are getting all pissed off about it.

Fear mongering.

I make some posts just giving stats that the deaths occuring from covid are mostly 86 years old and older.

Go read it. 

You and I obviously disagree about the pandemic.  What I usually do when that happens it just block the poster so we don't have to interact. The CDC won't let me do that with you I guess.

And by the way...I did discuss this with fact and evidence...but some posters are too emotional to accept that.

Facts. Most people dying from covid are either 86 plus or have underlying health conditions. That does not mean I do not care about my elderly relatives.

The last line means you're ignoring the fact that those healthy people who get it can/will still pass it around to others who are at risk. 

Angry isn't "fear mongering".  Angry is angry and it makes some angry that you're missing the point - these people in the "more likely to die from it" category are worthy of consideration.  Your in laws are part of that group.

Stop using fear mongering and panic to describe others who disagree with you.  I've really seen none of that...most are just listening to the facts and not dismissing them "because".

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Fear mongering.

Go read it. 

what you are presenting is not new.  It has been known for weeks and weeks.  a study out of the US tried to explain it in terms of driving your car.  If you are under 65 the death risk is the same as driving your car to work.

There is one group of posters who oppose any kind of data like this because it is inconsistent with what they originally believed and preached on this site and demanded obedience to.  Their only option now is moralizing and saying that presenting such data is devaluing the lives of seniors.  In other words they prefers lies to facts cause the latter hurts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Not sure I can agree with your statement.  They may not be as likely to die from COVID as an older person, but certainly at least some of them will have long lasting effects that will take a year or more to completely recover from if they recover at all.  Even younger people who get COVID suffer significant lung and potentially other organ damage.  For sure some have very few symptoms and it's nothing more than a flu or cold level illness, but not sure I'd want to roll the dice on which way it would affect me.  

I don't know if there are any stats yet that identify what the frequency of severe symptoms is.  I'd rather avoid the illness entirely and not put that level of reliance on lady luck to the test.  Nor do I want to infect anyone else that I might come in contact with.  

Am I panicked about it, absolutely not.  I do however have a healthy respect for the potential outcomes and prefer to lean towards the best outcome if I can.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

a study out of the US tried to explain it in terms of driving your car.  If you are under 65 the death risk is the same as driving your car to work.

So I have an issue with this and would like to see this study (and where it's from ).

The death risk in terms of probability, sure.   But that doesn't mean none will die...and do we allow people to drink and drive?  Speed?  Drive without seatbelts?  All measures to reduce that risk so you don't die driving.   And it makes sense to reduce risk.

Those arguing this side of things speak of death like it only matters if it applies to them.  People ARE dying.  Some are young, most are old.  So to glance over death like it's a hockey stat isn't really doing it justice.

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, samurai said:

Shouldn't you be on patrol at the supermarkets?

A few weeks ago you said 20% of the world's population could die from this.  Must be a shock.

My supermarket changed their rules bud. They only allow single shoppers in. No more couples. It feels much safer.

I guess it worked and I may have contributed in saving a couple of lives. And to me, the sheer thought of it, amongst the plethora of ambulances 24/7 landing at the hospital near my place, is well worth it.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Here's an example of someone having difficulty coping with this.  She is a facebook friend of mine in her mid 20's.  Single Mom.  Generally a really nice person.  I'm worried for her.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ca308b3b85f089928a922292d0f4f843.png

Holy crap, man.....it's hard to believe that level of paranoia...what is she passing on to her child? I can't even wrap my head around that...I would be worried for her, too. :(

Edited by Cerridwen
Apparently I've forgotten how to use a space bar when typing quickly! lol

1 hour ago, samurai said:

what you are presenting is not new.  It has been known for weeks and weeks.  a study out of the US tried to explain it in terms of driving your car.  If you are under 65 the death risk is the same as driving your car to work.

There is one group of posters who oppose any kind of data like this because it is inconsistent with what they originally believed and preached on this site and demanded obedience to.  Their only option now is moralizing and saying that presenting such data is devaluing the lives of seniors.  In other words they prefers lies to facts cause the latter hurts. 

Except when you get in a car accident, the police, the firemen, the EMT, the nurses and the doctors treating you aren’t at risk of catching your accident. 

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

Just now, Cerridwen said:

Holy crap, man.....it's hard to believe that level of paranoia...what is she passing on to her child? I can'tven wrap my head around that...I would be worried for her, too. :(

She's posted something like that every couple of days.  Quoting random blogs on Facebook from people that think Covid is not serious and is less harmful than the common flu.  Maybe she has Cabin Fever.  Sadly she's not the only one that thinks that way.  There is a lot of bad crap posted on Social media.  What I find disturbing is that she would rather believe those people whom she doesn't know than qualified medical professionals who tell us to take this thing seriously.

10 minutes ago, Me_ said:

My supermarket changed their rules bud. They only allow single shoppers in. No more couples. It feels much safer.

I guess it worked and I may have contributed in saving a couple of lives. And to me, the sheer thought of it, amongst the plethora of ambulances 24/7 landing at the hospital near my place, is well worth it.

20% - ha ha.   

8 minutes ago, bree2 said:

well we know that all healthy people will not be fine if they get covid, many have survived, but a lot are left with lung problems that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives

That, and I'd be willing to bet that the poster you responded to wouldn't spew this stuff at the parents of the five year old girl who died earlier in the week or to the parents of the 4 month old baby who died of COVID yesterday, or to the parents of the newborn baby girl in Scotland who was struggling for breath after she contracted COVID. Nor, I'm guessing, would he be brave enough to say it to the family and friends of the fit triathlete who died from COVID or the 40 year old nurse who contracted COVID...or indeed, any of the family, friends, co-workers etc of the 197,279 people who have died thus far from COVID-19.

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Here's an example of someone having difficulty coping with this.  She is a facebook friend of mine in her mid 20's.  Single Mom.  Generally a really nice person.  I'm worried for her.

image.thumb.png.ca308b3b85f089928a922292d0f4f843.png

Who’s Alicia?

3 hours ago, samurai said:

12.000, people not families.  They don't measure infection by family.   Obviously, more people have been infected than are reported - that is common knowledge.    Studies in the US show 50 to 85 times the actual number of infections.    Wider testing means more positive tests, but even greater negative tests - that is fact.  That is also why they have lowered the death fatality rate.  Same here in Japan.  Do you even know the infection rate here? No.  

Someone in another post mentions about getting paid as a teacher and you say well how can you think about that when people are dying.    And unable to really offer any proper rebuttal to me your argument now is I don't care about seniors.   You have been measured. 

Tried to comprehend your  post but it made zero sense.. sorry.  

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

She's posted something like that every couple of days.  Quoting random blogs on Facebook from people that think Covid is not serious and is less harmful than the common flu.  Maybe she has Cabin Fever.  Sadly she's not the only one that thinks that way.  There is a lot of bad crap posted on Social media.  What I find disturbing is that she would rather believe those people whom she doesn't know than qualified medical professionals who tell us to take this thing seriously.

It's so sad when folks just won't believe those with the facts and the knowledge. It IS disturbing...and the fact that she has a child who will be exposed to her paranoia makes it even more disturbing. Hopefully she will see the light...it's difficult dealing with people who feel this way or are so dug in deep in denial. Been there, may lose a dear friend of many years because they refuse to believe any of this. I told her we have cases in our town and she thought maybe she should stop window shopping at Walmart with her pregnant daughter-in-law. To say I was aghast and livid , disappointed and then livid again is an understatement. I don't even know what to say to her anymore. :(

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Sadly some people cope with scary situations through denial - it's easier that way.  There IS a lot of garbage out there and people get swept away with it.  Especially if they're cooped up, not sleeping, etc.  

I always challenge the source because that sometimes will really highlight (lack of) credibility.

It's sad that we're having to contend with so many who are "experts" who prefer to ignore the real experts.

• Thanks 3