The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

20 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Honestly....there is a personal space thing that gets violated a lot these days pre covid.

Whether it be for a free sample of salt or food at Costco or whatever.  A line up for a new, highly anticipated product.  A Black Friday sale.

Time for us to learn that social distancing should be the "norm", not the exception.  A rule worth keeping for our sanity, if not safety.

We can look at things in a negative, "we have to" way or understand that some measures can carry over in a positive light.  Reminding ourselves to take life easier, spend quality family time, etc.  Not to crowd people and to respect boundaries a bit more.  

Yes it always bothered me when people would get right in my face. I am loving the space I get now especially if I cough. :towel: 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wloutet said:

It's nice to see Gordy Dodd recognized. He is family, through marriage. When my wife passed away two years ago, he sat down beside me and talked about his religion's view of the afterlife, and it made me feel sooo much better. A very nice man!

Always loved his commercials. Seems like a very nice guy. Glad to hear you confirm that he is. Sorry to hear about your loss too. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Always loved his commercials. Seems like a very nice guy. Glad to hear you confirm that he is. Sorry to hear about your loss too. 

Gary Dodd is not just a nice fun loving guy in his adds, but also in real life.

Friend of a friend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Canada's early COVID-19 cases came from the U.S. not China, provincial data shows

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canadas-early-covid-19-cases-came-from-the-us-not-china-provincial-data-shows/ar-BB13q0rI?li=AAggXBV

Once there is a pandemic, it will come from anywhere.  Can't just shut down one border.  US did ban China first, but then got its cases from Europe.  Also, banning Chinese citizens but still allowing 40,000 US citizens to return without testing or quarantine doesn't work either.  

Just noticed you're in NY.  Stay safe (both you and your family)!  Good thing you've got good leadership in your state (might make mistakes but they've got their heart/mind in the right place vs trying to line their wallets).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Honestly....there is a personal space thing that gets violated a lot these days pre covid.

Whether it be for a free sample of salt or food at Costco or whatever.  A line up for a new, highly anticipated product.  A Black Friday sale.

Time for us to learn that social distancing should be the "norm", not the exception.  A rule worth keeping for our sanity, if not safety.

We can look at things in a negative, "we have to" way or understand that some measures can carry over in a positive light.  Reminding ourselves to take life easier, spend quality family time, etc.  Not to crowd people and to respect boundaries a bit more.  

I have a few co workers like that.  Pre Covid, they would stand about a foot away from you when talking to you.  I could feel their breathe as they are talking away.  I try to back up slowly, trying not to be rude (still have to work together).  Interesting to see what working in my office will be like when we return.  Like many big offices (we have about 70 or 80 on our floor), an open office concept is employed with workstations connected to each other.  Right now, they are looking at ways to stagger staff on limited days.  I don't see myself going back to the office at least until after summer.  Working from home seems to be working well for our department (finance) so we may be the last to return.

• Vintage 2

57 minutes ago, gurn said:

Went shopping today, with a mask on for the first time. Took a few weeks to get a mask.:(

Unfortunately two people thought that since I was wearing a mask they could get with in  3 feet of me, while they had no mask.

People can be the stupidest people on the planet.:shock:

It passes. Here in Germany wearing a mask in shops has been mandatory for a week now and it quickly turned from feeling awkard into pretty natural.

• Cheers 2

In mid-January, Chinese consulates in Canada and worldwide issued an urgent call. China was concerned that the new coronavirus raging in Wuhan was so deadly and infectious that its nurses and doctors would run out of safety supplies.

It needed personal protective equipment (PPE).

In just six weeks, China imported 2.5 billion pieces of epidemic safety equipment, including over two billion safety masks, Chinese government data shows.

China was evidently hiding the extent of a pandemic that endangered the world while covertly securing PPE at low prices. This “surreptitious” operation left “the world naked with no supply of PPE,” Jorge Guajardo, Mexico’s former ambassador to Beijing, told Global News. 

And through clandestine United Front networks run out of Chinese consulates in cities from Vancouver to Toronto to New York to Melbourne to Tokyo, the Communist Party urged millions of “overseas Chinese” to bulk-buy N95 masks in order to ship “back batches of scarce supplies for the motherland.”

As troubling as China’s methods were, the operation looks even worse under a magnifying glass because some organizations seemingly involved in the United Front’s efforts in Canada include members that have previously been monitored or investigated by the RCMP and Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), according to RCMP and CSIS sources.[/quote]

https://globalnews.ca/news/6858818/coronavirus-china-united-front-canada-protective-equipment-shortage/

So is globalnews racist now??

Edited by Kushman

3 hours ago, wloutet said:

It's nice to see Gordy Dodd recognized. He is family, through marriage. When my wife passed away two years ago, he sat down beside me and talked about his religion's view of the afterlife, and it made me feel sooo much better. A very nice man!

And I, too, am very sorry to hear of your wife's passing...hope you're doing ok and staying strong.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Lets base our policies on the recommendations of a Statistician rather than experienced epidemiologists.  Yep.  I'll let my car mechanic do my hernia operation too.

He talks about Herd Immunity when its still too early to determine how this Virus works.  What we do know is what we see in places like Italy and Spain and now with New York.  Having no Social distancing with no guarantee of quick and safe herd immunity is literally suicide.

u didn't watch it cause he doesn't advocate no social distancing - far from it..  What is more he is an expert in structural biology and computer science in the medical school at Stanford.  His Nobel is in chemistry - yeah, he is a real scientist.   He was following the virus well before most people were.

Who said this?

"Israeli Nobel Prize winner Mr. X has predicted that no more than ten Israelis will succumb to COVID-19 – and even less with the new restrictions – since the number of cases is so few".

(source:  https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/nobel-laureate-israel-will-have-no-more-than-ten-coronavirus-deaths-621407)

7 minutes ago, samurai said:

u didn't watch it cause he doesn't advocate no social distancing - far from it..  What is more he is an expert in structural biology and computer science in the medical school at Stanford.  His Nobel is in chemistry - yeah, he is a real scientist.   He was following the virus well before most people were.

I still think he is full of crap. Once he started comparing it to the flu he was toast.  The only flu that killed more than 50,000 people in a month in the US was the Spanish Flu.  So ya compared to the Spanish flu not that bad. 

Edited by spur1

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

He critisized lockdowns which is a more extreme form of social distancing.  Could you imagine what would have happened if Italy did not proceed with a complete lockdown?  

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who said this?

"Israeli Nobel Prize winner Mr. X has predicted that no more than ten Israelis will succumb to COVID-19 – and even less with the new restrictions – since the number of cases is so few".

(source:  https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/nobel-laureate-israel-will-have-no-more-than-ten-coronavirus-deaths-621407)

https://www.covid-19canada.com/#readmore      Shows Israel with  229 deaths from covid

• Upvote 1

So everything I hear out of the USA is that they’ve discovered some big treatment or that they think they got the vaccine the world wants. I don’t believe any of it. It’s such a corrupt country. Businessmen that own shares in these pharmaceutical companies promote it and then don’t give a when everybody sees it doesn’t work and they’ve piled there cash up already. Fauci Says they will have a vaccine by January but I doubt that too. To this day we don’t fully understand how this disease attacks our body and they are touting the cure. Hmm. They want to rush vaccine testing and risk things and have a bigger disaster then we already got. I wouldn’t be surprised if we never get a vaccine or it’s at least 2 years away. Creating vaccines take time and 12-18 months would be incredible considering we’ve never found a vaccine for a coronavirus. We may just have to beat this thing head on. Social distancing and quarantine won’t work in the long haul as already the re opening trend is in full force as we keep bleeding cash and people get bored. Our best hope is that a higher percentage of people has the antibodies to this disease and the mortality rate isn’t as bad as originally feared so we build herd immunity against this horrible disease. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

So everything I hear out of the USA is that they’ve discovered some big treatment or that they think they got the vaccine the world wants. I don’t believe any of it. It’s such a corrupt country. Businessmen that own shares in these pharmaceutical companies promote it and then don’t give a when everybody sees it doesn’t work and they’ve piled there cash up already. Fauci Says they will have a vaccine by January but I doubt that too. To this day we don’t fully understand how this disease attacks our body and they are touting the cure. Hmm. They want to rush vaccine testing and risk things and have a bigger disaster then we already got. I wouldn’t be surprised if we never get a vaccine or it’s at least 2 years away. Creating vaccines take time and 12-18 months would be incredible considering we’ve never found a vaccine for a coronavirus. We may just have to beat this thing head on. Social distancing and quarantine won’t work in the long haul as already the re opening trend is in full force as we keep bleeding cash and people get bored. Our best hope is that a higher percentage of people has the antibodies to this disease and the mortality rate isn’t as bad as originally feared so we build herd immunity against this horrible disease. 

Hold on to something. It’s gonna get real rough.

• Cheers 1