The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

17 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I wouldn't trust their numbers. Same with Russia. Dictatorships last I checked about five minutes ago aren't always the most honest.

But, you’re going to listen to Trump tell his inner circle to leave a cruise ship at sea, so as not to increase their numbers.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Gonna reiterate a couple things here:  

1) JM external sources need to be filtered with extreme prejudice....so I agree with you there 100%..... I just don't see how you get a much better source then the one given.

2) Coastal, I'm not second guessing the local guys.... I think they'll do as much as they can and they're well trained, I'm just also aware of the fact that this is a pretty quickly developing situation and my guess is - if Osterholm is right - they're probably already working to implement steps to address the virus being airborne and we'll see that taking place soon.... in fact I think it's already happening as I just got some info about conferences happening in my work world that are being discussed at the highest provincial level.... I don't know what the outcome will be but large public gatherings are obviously already on the radar.... if stuff starts getting shut down then BCCDC is already a step ahead of us and not far behind a leading expert.   

thats fair. 

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

White House says no need for Trump and Pence to be tested for coronavirus

Thu 12 Mar 2020 17:47:49 GMT

The White House is aware of reports a Bolsonaro aide tested positive for COVID-19, although the "confirmatory testing is pending," Stephanie Grisham says. Trump and VP "had almost no interactions" with him "and do not require being tested at this time."

tumblr_ml1idnyyiX1rflnceo1_500.gif.02c83ebcc448de7ba2a6da6cb5dc265c.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

German coronavirus cases jump to 2369 from 1567 yesterday

Thu 12 Mar 2020 18:46:21 GMT

Big jump in coronavirus cases in Germany

Germany is reporting a big jump in the number of coronavirus cases.

The total number of cases has moved to 2369 from 1567 yesterday. That's a 51% increase from yesterday.

New York reports hundred 112 new cases to a total of 328

Thu 12 Mar 2020 18:26:46 GMT

Gov. Cuomo speaking

New York Gov. Cuomo announced that New York would ban gatherings of 500 or more which close down the theater industry.

Rome's Catholic churches ordered closed because of coronavirus

Thu 12 Mar 2020 19:03:58 GMT

Move believed unprecedented in modern times.

The coronavirus headlines continue.

In what may be the start of a trend, Rome's Catholic churches are ordered close because of the coronavirus.  A decree by Pope's Vicar for Rome dispenses Catholics from obligation of attending Sunday mass. 

I would expect that attendance at place of worship will start to see the impact from the coronavirus with or without dispensation.

France closes all education establishments

Thu 12 Mar 2020 19:10:26 GMT

Schools and universities to close

Closing schools is extremely effective in a pandemic. Not just because kids are disease vectors, but because it reduces crowds and forces many parents to stay home as well.

The headlines are just unrelenting.
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

certainly does

give it 6 months

this is more important then trump

i hope this thread

is able to be more fact based

with a much smaller swamp of misinformation

Almost everything posted is based in fact from the WHO and other health experts around the world. Just because it’s not coming from BC doesn’t mean it isn’t factual up to date knowledge on the disease. 

Evangelicals aren't helping. Like in Korea.

https://qz.com/1808390/religion-is-at-the-heart-of-koreas-coronavirus-outbreak/

Mike Pence, CDC director Robert Redfield, etc are all evangelicals. Nothing wrong with that. But many people are concerned that Faith was the primary criteria for the selection of the Coronavirus Task Force, not medical knowledge.  

ESEOcQnXUAI08WD?format=jpg&name=small

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Almost everything posted is based in fact from the WHO and other health experts around the world. Just because it’s not coming from BC doesn’t mean it isn’t factual up to date knowledge on the disease. 

you miss the point

there is so much information available from so many sources

this is the information age

someone

a key individual, or more likely a key group, with an individual as spokesperson

need to digest all the critical information

to develop a plan of action

that will best address the current crisis

that plan of action must address what is happening locally

that is the reason for the focus on bc

and the bc medical authorities, fronted by spokesperson, dr henry

that is the only way to be effective locally

to address this global concern

we need qualified people

experts

to do this

they need our support

there is less room to debate these details

then the room available to debate details of hockey issues

5 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Evangelicals aren't helping. Like in Korea.

https://qz.com/1808390/religion-is-at-the-heart-of-koreas-coronavirus-outbreak/

Mike Pence, CDC director Robert Redfield, etc are all evangelicals. Nothing wrong with that. But many people are concerned that Faith was the primary criteria for the selection of the Coronavirus Task Force, not medical knowledge.  

ESEOcQnXUAI08WD?format=jpg&name=small

Jesus Christ. Literally. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

you miss the point

there is so much information available from so many sources

this is the information age

someone

a key individual, or more likely a key group, with an individual as spokesperson

need to digest all the critical information

to develop a plan of action

that will best address the current crisis

that plan of action must address what is happening locally

that is the reason for the focus on bc

and the bc medical authorities, fronted by spokesperson, dr henry

that is the only way to be effective locally

to address this global concern

we need qualified people

experts

to do this

they need our support

there is less room to debate these details

then the room available to debate details of hockey issues

Yes there are a lot of sources you are right about that, but if you read the sources generally they all say the same thing about the virus rather than contradicting statements. Which when happens across the globe you can come to the conclusion it’s true and based in fact. I’m not saying to ignore the BC medical health officials but you definitely should not ignore what the WHO and other leading world health experts have to say. The WHO is arguably the best source for medical information on this disease that is out there, they have first hand knowledge of it from when it first started in China because they sent medical experts to investigate. I know for a fact BC did not send medical experts to China to investigate what was going on. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Its obvious that the borders should be cut off and it is intelligent the countries that cut borders off early like russia etc have little to no  virus based on them jumping on it early 

I trust Russia's number less than China.  Putin will decide what number to report. 

Closing borders may work in some cases and can slow down the spread. But it won't prevent it with today's global travel.  When China had the cases in Dec, it wasn't taken seriously by Chinese government or foreign. Millions of people celebrated new years eve in Wuhan. By the time China locked it down in mid Jan, about 5 million left the city already.  People travel everywhere.  Besides, China makes a huge proportion of drugs, masks, and other medical supplies. If you close the border, how are other countries going to stock up? Also, you need international experts to go there and investigate. The problem may have started in China, but it is a shared global problem.  Historically, closing borders only slowed the spread, but doesn't prevent it. The lockdown in Wuhan bought us outside of China more time to get ready.  Let's hope Canada is up for it. 

• Cheers 1