it is unhelpful

to suggest bc authorities lack full expertise

in implementing a solid local plan

i am implying

that it is fine

to review other information sources

to satisfy yourself

that what is going on with the bc plan is completely valid

You completely disregarded the video someone posted earlier from a epidemiologist and recommended others do the same. You have repeatedly told people to ignore international information and stick to listening to local authorities. You have implied that people are posting misinformation because it’s not coming directly from the BC health experts. I repeat it is fine to listen to local authorities but don’t disregard the experts from around the world and don’t imply other sources from around the world are misinformation. I can go back and find quotes of you doing this. 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Right now they are trying to keep people calm. They will change their approach as soon as they see a clear increase in the community spread of the virus. 

It's ridiculous to me that we'd wait for that to happen when we can react now (never mind 2 weeks ago)...

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think that the only caution I have when taking direction or information from a government agency is I dont know if/how they are muting or downplaying the severity of the situation in order to maintain some social order.    The global magnitude of the situation looks to me like its unprecedented (in my life time at least).  I dont think they can come out and tell us "yeah theres probably a bunch of people we cant track that are spreading this right now" even if they are thinking that.  Their words have to be carefully considered so that they dont instigate panic. 

With regards to the JR episode with Osterholm.  What gives him credibility, in my mind, aside from his credentials and his position, is that he practically predicted the current scenario a while ago in one of his publications - everything from the point of origin to how the Chinese government would handle the situation.  Not only that his org has published forecasts that are currently unfolding, outbreak magnitudes, rates of transmission etc...and he has been accurate - at least from what I can see.

But you are right, info needs to be considered with a level head and with trust (hopefully) from the authorities that are put in charge to lead us in these situations.

i do encourage you and everyone

to review information from bc authorities

it truly is comprehensive and reliable

we seriously have the top world experts on virus issues in bc

we do know what we are doing here

https://globalnews.ca/news/6663168/coronavirus-bc-health-daily-update/

cheers

i'm done advocating on this issue for a bit

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

You completely disregarded the video someone posted earlier from a epidemiologist and recommended others do the same. You have repeatedly told people to ignore international information and stick to listening to local authorities. You have implied that people are posting misinformation because it’s not coming directly from the BC health experts. I repeat it is fine to listen to local authorities but don’t disregard the experts from around the world and don’t imply other sources from around the world are misinformation. I can go back and find quotes of you doing this. 

not accurate

what i did say is that we on these boards

are not qualified to interpret that information

in priority to local experts

who are tasked with using all information

to implement a coordinated plan

to deal with this pandemic on a local basis

but i'm done for a while now

cheers

stay safe

Bye bye hockey. :( 

AHL and CHL (OHL, WHL, and QMJHL) follow the NHL and suspend play until further notice.

EDIT: NCAA and USHL too

EDIT2: and looks like SHL, Liiga, Extraliga, DEL, NLA, EBEL, Metal Ligaen are all cancelling or postponing playoffs or entire seasons. KHL seems to be continuing their playoffs, but now will be playing in empty buildings.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

This is too close for comfort.....I live about a block away (I am still on Maui), but, my elderly mother lives in an independent retirement home a block away.

I think Canada should suspend international travel into the country, as most of the cases around Vancouver have been brought in from people that were overseas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

the quality of your post

confirms you are guessing

you'd rather guess

then defer to expertise

go ahead

no one can stop you but yourself

You are clearly uninformed.  That's the attitude that's going to bring our health care system to its knees, same as Italy.

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

that'll never happen; teachers get paid for this break regardless, students are secondary contrary to what they say

Teachers certainly could get asked to work in July if a couple weeks of are lost in Spring, I think it's in the contract that there has to be so many instructional days (like if there were too many snow days, some extra days at the end of the year would have to get tacked on).  Generally teachers get a 10 month salary (with Winter and Spring breaks paid) but summer is not.  That being said, most teachers, if they have a continuing position, can have their pay spread out over 12 months.

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's ridiculous to me that we'd wait for that to happen when we can react now (never mind 2 weeks ago)...

Except that there are things happening behind the scenes right now. There are going to be community testing centers, so people don't all have to go to a hospital, they are likely looking at preparing extra capacity at some or all hospitals. The problem we have is that our hospitals pretty much run at 100% capacity all the time, so it is very easy to overload them, and when that happens it can get out of hand quickly. So I would expect they are now making arrangements to handle as many more patients as they can.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

not accurate

what i did say is that we on these boards

are not qualified to interpret that information

in priority to local experts

who are tasked with using all information

to implement a coordinated plan

to deal with this pandemic on a local basis

but i'm done for a while now

cheers

stay safe

That.. makes no sense. The video posted and the articles being posted is already interpreted information. It’s not like we’re taking raw scientific data and making an assessment ourselves. These experts have already made the most accurate assessment they could based on the information available and interpreted it in a way the public can understand. That’s like saying we aren’t qualified to interpret the information from our BC health experts and should wait for our family doctor to interpret the information for us. How many interpretations do we need? Having them create a plan is good but applying efforts based off the opinion and expertise of international health experts instead of waiting for our government to apply similar efforts can do no wrong. 

Edited by Petey40

6 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Except that there are things happening behind the scenes right now. There are going to be community testing centers, so people don't all have to go to a hospital, they are likely looking at preparing extra capacity at some or all hospitals. The problem we have is that our hospitals pretty much run at 100% capacity all the time, so it is very easy to overload them, and when that happens it can get out of hand quickly. So I would expect they are now making arrangements to handle as many more patients as they can.

they've also been interacting with people at YVR and getting people to self-isolate. Theres actually a lot going on: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/reports-publications/covid-19-technical-briefing.pdf

The bigger hole we might have is the cross-border shoppers and how much exposure they've had in Washington State. We haven't seen a exponential spike - yet - knocking on wood - that many other places have so, at least for now so far so good (as it can be).

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they've also been interacting with people at YVR and getting people to self-isolate. Theres actually a lot going on: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/reports-publications/covid-19-technical-briefing.pdf

The bigger hole we might have is the cross-border shoppers and how much exposure they've had in Washington State. We haven't seen a exponential spike - yet - knocking on wood - that many other places have so, at least for now so far so good (as it can be).

Yes, I agree! To me our biggest risk is going to be from the US, which I expect to end up much like Italy.

• Cheers 1