Canucks Community

[Report] Nikita Kucherov out for the season

Rate this topic

translation, 

Brisebosi: Hey Nikita! How are u

Nikita: good good.

Bresbosi: Can u do me a favour?

Nikita: Ok

Bresbois: Since we won the cup and are in a easy division can u take a year off?

Nikita: Ok, how do i do that?

Bresbois:  Go find a random doctor in Russia and fake a hip injury and ask him to recommend surgery!!!!!!

Nikita : okay are we aloud to do that?

Bresbois: Don't worry we are a American and a american sunbelt teams we got this covered nothing to worry about.

Nikita: okay

Bresbois: now go enjoy life and party with the women of Russia see you in the playoffs.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

If Tampa was going to try and cheat the cap, they'd be doing this to someone like Johnson.

No way would they want their best forward out the whole season. Even if he comes back for playoffs, have to think he wouldn't be at 100%.

there in a easy division they will easily make the playoffs

Just now, Squamfan said:

there in a easy division they will easily make the playoffs

While this kind of thing is always suspicious, I can't see why Kucherov would agree to sit a whole year.  Most athletes at the top of their game need to have a drive to compete to get to where they are at. If Kucherov and the Lightning were to be conspiring to circumvent the cap like this, it might work out for their cap situation, but it can't be good for their team culture. 

If I recall, Kucherov really did have a pretty rough go during the playoffs and battled through injuries and the playoffs only ended at the end of September.  Usually the off season would be at least July and August with training camp plus pre-season in September but this year, it looks like teams are pretty much jumping straight into the regular season after camp.  There's much less time to heal up and missing any time at all means missing a large percentage of the regular season anyway.  It's not entirely unreasonable that in a shortened season like this, they would choose for him to get 100% healthy in time with a target return date for the playoffs.  

Yes, this ends up saving the Lightning's cap situation, and yes, looking to be at the top of their division might make it easier to choose this, but it's not without risk.  If they suffer any lengthy injuries to top players (e.g. Point, Stamkos, Cirelli, etc.), then there are fewer games to weather the storm and I don't think they can just have Kucherov come back early.  Tampa is still the top of their division, but teams like Dallas, Carolina, Nashville and Columbus could still overtake an injury riddled Tampa roster.

• Upvote 3