-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen end up being the 3rd line. Then we have:

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-?

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

?-Beagle-Motte

?

Looks like 3 spots (and maybe 3 taxi squad spots) for Sutter, Hoglander, Virtanen, Hawlyruk, Baertschi, Eriksson, Graovac, Bailey, Lind, Michaelis, etc.

I wonder if we end up putting Sutter on the Taxi Squad. Let's say Virtanen gets the top 6 spot. Hawlyruk gets the 4th line spot and Hoglander earns a roster spot. I could see Sutter and Eriksson on the Taxi squad with maybe Baertschi. I wonder if people will start complaining about us having the most expensive Taxi Squad in the league! 

Might be wise to spread out some of the lines. 

Maybe drop Pearson to the 3rd if Hogger plays well and/or Boeser to the 2nd

Maybe if Hogger plays really well

Hog-Petey-Boes

Miller-Horvat-Virtanen

Pearson-Gaudette-Roussel 

Motte-Beagle-Mac

Sutter

Each youngster is playing with a couple good/reliable players.

I think Miller/Horvat are the best linemates if you want Virtanen in the top 6. 

Good line mates for Gaudette to help start taking more defensive shifts(like Virtanen). Could interchange Sutter in there for Roussel and maybe put Gaud at wing if you wanted to experiment. 

Motte and Beagle are good linemates for any aspiring bottom 6 player(Mac/Hawryluk)

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hog-Petey-Boes

Miller-Horvat-Virtanen

Pearson-Gaudette-Roussel 

Motte-Beagle-Mac

Sutter

Good line mates for Gaudette to help start taking more defensive shifts(like Virtanen). Could interchange Sutter in there for Roussel and maybe put Gaud at wing if you wanted to experiment. 

Motte and Beagle are good linemates for any aspiring bottom 6 player(Mac/Hawryluk)

I'm simply basing on the lineups we have seen in camp most recently. While I get what you're getting at, it's unlikely we will shake up the opening lineup that dramatically. Shake ups in-season/in-game is surely going to happen though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hog-Petey-Boes

Miller-Horvat-Virtanen

Pearson-Gaudette-Roussel 

Motte-Beagle-Mac

Sutter

This line up is awesome. I see this as a very well balanced line up!! All four lines can roll, which will be very important this year more than ever. 

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Wow, didn't have a clue he was going through this.  Can be quite debilitating (my daughter's had similar issues).  

He's a favourite, hope he slays it this year.

Perhaps correcting this will allow him to bulk up more, which would make him more imposing in the style and role he wants to play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

"It's nice to be on a team like that." 

We're back! it's sure nice to cheer on a team like that.

Hope he finds his game. We need the old Roussel back, to bring what he did in Dallas. Hope he still has it in him as if he does, he’s a major asset in the bottom 6

• Cheers 2

Just now, theo5789 said:

I'm simply basing on the lineups we have seen in camp most recently. While I get what you're getting at, it's unlikely we will shake up the opening lineup that dramatically. Shake ups in-season/in-game is surely going to happen though.

Yeah I see. Overall I see the benefit for more balance. 

I really like how those top 6 lines would be if Hogger can play well with Petey and Miller-Horvat are a good combo for a guy like Virtanen. 

I wouldn’t be afraid to throw the bottom 6 in any zone with Gaud playing with Pearson and one of Sutter/Roussel. 

Overall it would allow for guys like Gaud/Virtanen and even Mac to step into more defensive situations while having the safety net in two reliable line mates. All the while allowing us to roll 4 lines in this condensed season. 

• Like 1

I think people have to understand that veterans normally are pushed out by younger or stronger players coming in.........

especially if they have a extended contract aka Eriksson.......it is never just understood that it is the fans opinion that gets him to retire....never!

Now, if the home fans boo him, every time he steps on the ice, that is a different thing, but Eriksson has never had that........

Nor, when he is put out late in games to protect a lead, does he understand he does not have a use..............because obviously Green is saying he does

It is totally up to the guys below him to knock him off his rung...........or the coach to just not use him

If he gets sent down or sat on the taxi squad and never used......then he will get the message....but alot of players are parked in the press box from year to year

It is the law of the jungle.........

The only 2 other ways are injury, where Loui does not work hard enough to get, or pride, which I think Green and Benning are keeping intact for him.......

People also have to look at the external message it sends to pending UFA's...........I don't think you want UFA's thinking we do not respect the contract signed

No matter how bad the guy plays.

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I see. Overall I see the benefit for more balance. 

I really like how those top 6 lines would be if Hogger can play well with Petey and Miller-Horvat are a good combo for a guy like Virtanen. 

I wouldn’t be afraid to throw the bottom 6 in any zone with Gaud playing with Pearson and one of Sutter/Roussel. 

Overall it would allow for guys like Gaud/Virtanen and even Mac to step into more defensive situations while having the safety net in two reliable line mates. All the while allowing us to roll 4 lines in this condensed season. 

Miller started last season with Horvat I believe. They were fine, but something clicked with Miller and Petey. I'd argue that Miller is a better complement to Petey given that he can win faceoffs and does the heavy lifting on the forecheck. He also is a physical presence on the line should things get rowdy. Plus Hoglander would mesh well with Bo given that he's the skill on the line. Bo wouldn't have to feel the need to drive the offense all the time. And adding Pearson to the line would give solid defensive coverage for a young rookie.

I guess where you don't feel confident is the 3rd line having Gaudette and MacEwen on it. But I think a healthy Roussel makes a big difference and Gaudette put up good numbers in this role. It'll be a toss up between MacEwen and Virtanen on this line most likely. Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen were actually one of the better looking lines that we had before the season was shut down.

Hawlyruk is another energy guy from what I hear, so he would be a tenacious add to the 4th line. However Sutter on the 4th would provide a solid defensive line and add a center for the PK should Gaudette not be ready for that role. I can see Gaudette being the "winger" on a secondary PK with Sutter for example to learn the ropes and if Gaudette improves on his faceoffs, he can take over Sutter's expiring spot.

I get we want to roll 4 lines for time management, but I think we could still do so with the lines that we have seen in camp. But at least we will have plenty of options to shake things up if need be.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Miller started last season with Horvat I believe. They were fine, but something clicked with Miller and Petey. I'd argue that Miller is a better complement to Petey given that he can win faceoffs and does the heavy lifting on the forecheck. He also is a physical presence on the line should things get rowdy. Plus Hoglander would mesh well with Bo given that he's the skill on the line. Bo wouldn't have to feel the need to drive the offense all the time. And adding Pearson to the line would give solid defensive coverage for a young rookie.

I guess where you don't feel confident is the 3rd line having Gaudette and MacEwen on it. But I think a healthy Roussel makes a big difference and Gaudette put up good numbers in this role. It'll be a toss up between MacEwen and Virtanen on this line most likely. Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen were actually one of the better looking lines that we had before the season was shut down.

Hawlyruk is another energy guy from what I hear, so he would be a tenacious add to the 4th line. However Sutter on the 4th would provide a solid defensive line and add a center for the PK should Gaudette not be ready for that role. I can see Gaudette being the "winger" on a secondary PK with Sutter for example to learn the ropes and if Gaudette improves on his faceoffs, he can take over Sutter's expiring spot.

I get we want to roll 4 lines for time management, but I think we could still do so with the lines that we have seen in camp. But at least we will have plenty of options to shake things up if need be.

At some point Peter should start getting more looks at playing a full C. 

Miller-Horvat is better than Pearson-Horvat. Also likely can’t rely on Horvat as much defensively if you stick him with 2 developing players. 

Roussel-Gaud-Virtanen were a pretty streaky line for the most part and had to be sheltered from defensive play/responsibility because they were prone to more gaffs defensively and getting hemmed up more than the other 3 lines. 

My worry is Green not playing the 3rd line a lot again because he can rely on 1/2/4 better overall. Remember in the playoffs they opted out of playing Gaudette at 3rd C for Sutter. 

You play 2 youngsters we will probably see that sheltering again. Especially in a condensed season where we can’t afford to go through some of these growing pains with young players. 

Unless they have of course improved enough to the coaches liking defensively which we will see when the year starts. I won’t rule that out. 

Overall I imagine that there could be a lot of experimentation in a short amount of time once the season starts. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

At some point Peter should start getting more looks at playing a full C. 

Miller-Horvat is better than Pearson-Horvat. Also likely can’t rely on Horvat as much defensively if you stick him with 2 developing players. 

Roussel-Gaud-Virtanen were a pretty streaky line for the most part and had to be sheltered from defensive play/responsibility because they were prone to more gaffs defensively and getting hemmed up more than the other 3 lines. 

My worry is Green not playing the 3rd line a lot again because he can rely on 1/2/4 better overall. Remember in the playoffs they opted out of playing Gaudette at 3rd C for Sutter. 

You play 2 youngsters we will probably see that sheltering again. Especially in a condensed season where we can’t afford to go through some of these growing pains with young players. 

Unless they have of course improved enough to the coaches liking defensively which we will see when the year starts. I won’t rule that out. 

Overall I imagine that there could be a lot of experimentation in a short amount of time once the season starts. 

You think Green will trust to not have to shelter Hoglander-Petey-Boeser? Petey needs to work on his faceoffs, but until he gets there, Miller will be there for support in that area, plus he adds physicality and size. Nevermind the chemistry those two have together.

If Pearson is with Horvat, why would there be two developing players? It'll just be Hoglander based on the line in camp and those two guys would be supporting him like as you've been proposing.

Roussel admitted he probably returned to the lineup too soon. We will be seeing a healthier Roussel which should improve the line a bit. Gaudette is improving and has produced offensively in this role. Right now we are seeing MacEwen on the line. We have yet to see if Virtanen has matured, but offensively he has produced at a decent rate given 3rd line minutes. Defensively is an issue, but then we could try to slot in Sutter there if that's the case.

I think our defensive struggles were more related on getting the puck out and having Schmidt (along with Hughes) will help in that area more than doing a massive shakeup to the forward group.