The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh I can't wait for the reaction towards Green and Benning for not having Demko start the 1st game of the season. And if Hoglander isn't in the starting lineup, I probably will stay away from CDC (although who am I kidding, I'm not going to miss out of all the foolish talk).

• Haha 2

Just now, theo5789 said:

Oh I can't wait for the reaction towards Green and Benning for not having Demko start the 1st game of the season. And if Hoglander isn't in the starting lineup, I probably will stay away from CDC (although who am I kidding, I'm not going to miss out of all the foolish talk).

Me too  :ph34r:

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I had Hawryluk higher in the depth chart than Eriksson. If Green had put Eriksson in Group B, at least it would have motivated him to work and join the regular group.

Maybe the best player in group B wins Louis spot:ph34r:

• Vintage 2

On 12/30/2020 at 10:26 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

In Don Taylor's voice:

Nils Hoglander will wear Jim Agnew's old number 36.

Jayce Hawryluk will wear Lars Lindgren's old number 13.

Marc Michaelis will wear Alex Friesen's old number 56.

Guillaume Brisebois will wear Ed Jovanovski's old number 55.

Ahh that would be Jannick Hansen's old number 36...long live the Honey Badger

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm a bit surprised by a few things. Hoglander sticking makes sense based on the amount of hockey he's played lately - he's coming straight into camp hot while a lot of players look a bit stale. If he continues to work hard the spot looks like it's his to lose but in the past coaches usually go for the safer, stronger defenders than young risky offensive forwards. That being said, Bo and Pearson cover a lot of those defensive holes and Hoglander looks like one of our best skaters.

Hamonic with Hughes is an interesting choice, I would have thought to put your best guys together but having Schmidt alongside Edler does make sense if we're expecting Eddy to still play top pairing minutes. That leaves Hughes-Hamonic as our 2nd pairing. I suppose Green is going to want Schmidt to play more offensively whereas putting him with Hughes might leave us a bit exposed. The beauty of Schmidt is that he can play a shut down role or jump up in the rush, so putting him with a slower, older Edler will mean he's the offensive guy on that line. A bottom pairing of Juolevi-Myers or Benn-Myers may be the best bottom pairing in the West.

A bit surprised we haven't seen much Hawryluk yet, I thought he looks like a bit of a Motte-clone so would have been a great fit in our bottom 6 and may have out-competed someone like Roussel, but he might be aimed for our top 6 in Utica.

As for goalies it really doesn't matter who starts - this season the guys in net are going to get as close to a 50% as we've ever seen.