The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

I'm unclear on what happens when we submit our opening roster and he's not here and ready to play. He's not IR or LTIR as, as far has been reported, there's no injury or anything that he's dealing with, this is something personal.

Does he get suspended without pay until he arrives in Vancouver? I know that the team is trying to support him, but I can't see them paying him if he's not here and they could use his cap space. Suspending him under section 50.10(c), his cap hit would not count against the team while suspended.

Anyone have any thoughts on any other way they could resolve this?

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm unclear on what happens when we submit our opening roster and he's not here and ready to play. He's not IR or LTIR as, as far has been reported, there's no injury or anything that he's dealing with, this is something personal.

Does he get suspended without pay until he arrives in Vancouver? I know that the team is trying to support him, but I can't see them paying him if he's not here and they could use his cap space. Suspending him under section 50.10(c), his cap hit would not count against the team while suspended.

I would guess JB is scouring the US squads to line up a deal. Which US team needs an exp'd righty?

44 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I would guess JB is scouring the US squads to line up a deal. Which US team needs an exp'd righty?

From what i read

US teams don’t appear to be interested in trading for someone at his pay, that may only play in two-thirds to three-quarters of their games due to the cross-border protocols. It’s not known if Canucks were willing to add something extra to facilitate a deal.

I am getting tired of reading of signing players only to give away assets to unload them shortly after ;(

Hopefully he is practicing and ready to play soon

Anyone know if he is even skating like the other two holdouts were?

I would imagine he has,seeing as he did not opt out of the season and be very disappointed if he wasn't after saying that

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

A leave of absence for personal reasons still counts against the cap.  It’s only if Vancouver demands that he be present and he doesn’t report that they can suspend him.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Everyone on here is just hamming it up lately

Everyone is just juicing up all the meat they can get.

Also, Pietrangelo

12 hours ago, JM_ said:

Lapierre. 

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

12 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Rypien, DiPietro, Pieger Williams!:frantic:

13 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Jack Piechel

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2021 at 4:23 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Dan Hamhuis and Ken Hammond

But you’re also forgetting Jannik Hamsen, Erik Gudhamson, Jeff and Steve Hambellini, Brendham Gaunce, Joseph Crhamarossa, and Andrey Pedham. ;) 

And interestingly both wore #2

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

For now I'm expecting he'll be on the roster but "in the press box".  I'm under the impression that he'll be back and not traded....just a process that he needs to work through.  

Anyone know what happens if he just retires at this point?  Will he still count against the cap?

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

From what i read

US teams don’t appear to be interested in trading for someone at his pay, that may only play in two-thirds to three-quarters of their games due to the cross-border protocols. It’s not known if Canucks were willing to add something extra to facilitate a deal.

I am getting tired of reading of signing players only to give away assets to unload them shortly after ;(

Hopefully he is practicing and ready to play soon

Anyone know if he is even skating like the other two holdouts were?

I would imagine he has,seeing as he did not opt out of the season and be very disappointed if he wasn't after saying that

Yeah, Rob Simpson had a post up last week where he had spoken to some team execs re: Hamonic, and it doesn’t sound too good:

The executives from US based teams said they didn’t even get to the point of discussing terms with Canucks GM Jim Benning, as the concept of bringing aboard a player who would be limited to approximately 2/3’rds to 3/4’s of the schedule because of cross-border Covid protocols was uninviting. This is also not the time of year when teams are looking to pick up salary just for the sake of picking up salary. The other NHL teams would have complete leverage in this situation, and there’s no word as to whether the Canucks were willing to sweeten the pot somehow to move the player.

“It’s a tough situation, a tough, tough situation,” one NHL executive stated. “Jimmy made a deal, tried to make his team better, and the player decides not to play. People shouldn’t be mad at him, and they really shouldn’t be mad at the player either. Every situation is different and it’s about personal choice. Part of life. But now he’s down a defenceman.”

https://vancouverhockeynow.com/2021/09/30/vancouver-canucks-nhl-pacific-division-travis-hamonic-covid-rob-simpson/

I’m all for accommodating Hamonic, if he wants a trade to a US based team, but not if it means the Canucks having to add a sweetener, which is what it sounds like it would take, just to get a conversation started.

In that case, I’d rather they just suspend him, rather than pay another team assets to take Hamonic.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m all for accommodating Hamonic, if he wants a trade to a US based team, but not if it means the Canucks having to add a sweetener, which is what it sounds like it would take, just to get a conversation started.

In that case, I’d rather they just suspend him, rather than pay another team assets to take Hamonic.

What about trading for future considerations just to get him of the cap?

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

For now I'm expecting he'll be on the roster but "in the press box".  I'm under the impression that he'll be back and not traded....just a process that he needs to work through.  

Anyone know what happens if he just retires at this point?  Will he still count against the cap?

If he retires, his cap hit goes away.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

What about trading for future considerations just to get him of the cap?

And who exactly would want a player that in all likelihood not play?  It’s not like a LE situation where what he’s being paid is far less than what his cap hit is (not to mention he’s actually playing). Or in the case for trading for a player on LTIR (where medical insurance foots most or all of the bill & not the team)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, Rob Simpson had a post up last week where he had spoken to some team execs re: Hamonic, and it doesn’t sound too good:

The executives from US based teams said they didn’t even get to the point of discussing terms with Canucks GM Jim Benning, as the concept of bringing aboard a player who would be limited to approximately 2/3’rds to 3/4’s of the schedule because of cross-border Covid protocols was uninviting. This is also not the time of year when teams are looking to pick up salary just for the sake of picking up salary. The other NHL teams would have complete leverage in this situation, and there’s no word as to whether the Canucks were willing to sweeten the pot somehow to move the player.

“It’s a tough situation, a tough, tough situation,” one NHL executive stated. “Jimmy made a deal, tried to make his team better, and the player decides not to play. People shouldn’t be mad at him, and they really shouldn’t be mad at the player either. Every situation is different and it’s about personal choice. Part of life. But now he’s down a defenceman.”

https://vancouverhockeynow.com/2021/09/30/vancouver-canucks-nhl-pacific-division-travis-hamonic-covid-rob-simpson/

Does Hamonic want to be traded?  Sounds like rumour.  He will be playing for us.  

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And who exactly would want a player that in all likelihood not play?  It’s not like a LE situation where what he’s being paid is far less than what his cap hit is (not to mention he’s actually playing). Or in the case for trading for a player on LTIR (where medical insurance foots most or all of the bill & not the team)

I was thinking an American team so he would only miss Canadian road games.

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

that GM quote pretty much says it all, there won't be a trade unless there's some kind of big asset with it, which is a bad idea.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

that GM quote pretty much says it all, there won't be a trade unless there's some kind of big asset with it, which is a bad idea.

I'm wondering of one reason why the Canucks haven't suspended Hamonic yet is to maximize LTIR use at the start of the season?  If I remember correctly, then don't they basically have to be over the cap for as close to an amount of the LTIR space they hope to use as possible?   In that case, having Hamonic's cap hit is helpful at least to start the year, no?  Maybe they'll demand he report after the start of the season and suspend him if he doesn't.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm wondering of one reason why the Canucks haven't suspended Hamonic yet is to maximize LTIR use at the start of the season?  If I remember correctly, then don't they basically have to be over the cap for as close to an amount of the LTIR space they hope to use as possible?   In that case, having Hamonic's cap hit is helpful at least to start the year, no?  Maybe they'll demand he report after the start of the season and suspend him if he doesn't.

I think they’re hoping a more supportive approach will eventually pay off, and remaining optimistic that they’ll be able to resolve the issue and have Hamonic in Vancouver, fully vaxxed, and able to play the whole season.

I think they’re correct in being very patient and understanding at this time, keeping a tight media lid on the details (ever since the early days of camp anyway), and not getting confrontational or taking a hard line with the player, unless and until they’re absolutely forced to (and hopefully it doesn’t come to that).

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think they’re hoping a more supportive approach will eventually pay off, and remaining optimistic that they’ll be able to resolve the issue and have Hamonic in Vancouver, fully vaxxed, and able to play the whole season.

I think they’re correct in being very patient and understanding at this time, keeping a tight media lid on the details (ever since the early days of camp anyway), and not getting confrontational or taking a hard line with the player, unless and until they’re absolutely forced to (and hopefully it doesn’t come to that).

Probabiy, but they still have a team to run though

Curious if anyone  has heard of him training or skating

That would say a lot about whether he plans to play or just collect money

26 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Well, he's skating around the subject of when he might return, but I don't t think that counts  ;)

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I’m sure that behind the scenes they’re planning for all contingencies and getting their options in order.

I’m sure they’ve also sought guidance from the league.

There just aren’t many good choices, other than the ones the will get Hamonic back on the team, and able to travel and play a full schedule. I think the way they’re handling things probably offers the best chance for a positive outcome.

The longer it takes, however, likely also lowers the odds of everything eventually working out.

I just don’t know what else they can do, other than remain patient and optimistic, take a respectful approach, keep talking to Hamonic’s agent every day, and hope eventually they get a good result.

As for whether or not Hamonic is training, I’d assume he is at least working out. As to whether or not he’s skating, I suppose (given that his vaccination status is in question) it might depend on whether or not the ice rinks in Manitoba are checking vaccine passports?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos