The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Benning's latest interview sounds a lot like he is expected to show up in Abbotsford while the Canucks are on road trip and join the team when they get back..

He also said he would be in camp so don't know how true that is.

That’s certainly the impression Benning gave, as to what the expectations are from the clubs’s side, at least officially.

We’ll see if it comes to pass. But the Canucks starting out the season on a 6 game road trip, and Abbotsford starting with a 3 game home stand, does offer a decent window to work things out, and hopefully for Hamonic to arrive in Abbotsford, get some work in on the ice, and be ready to play before the Canucks return home for October 26th.

That’s assuming it all gets straightened out.

As you said, Benning initially expected Hamonic here for Day 2 of training camp, so we’ll just have to wait and see if this new timeline actually pans out.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s certainly the impression Benning gave, as to what the expectations are from the clubs’s side, at least officially.

We’ll see if it comes to pass. But the Canucks starting out the season on a 6 game road trip, and Abbotsford starting with a 3 game home stand, does offer a decent window to work things out, and hopefully for Hamonic to arrive in Abbotsford, get some work in on the ice, and be ready to play before the Canucks return home for October 26th.

That’s assuming it all gets straightened out.

As you said, Benning initially expected Hamonic here for Day 2 of training camp, so we’ll just have to wait and see if this new timeline actually pans out.

They start on the road .....

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/schedule

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Googlie said:

They start on the road .....

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/schedule

Oops, it really looked like the reverse on the source with the Abby schedule I looked at, but you’re 100% correct.

Anyway, I’m sure Hamonic could stay back and practice in Abby while the team went on that road trip, then maybe even play the two Abbotsford home games (Oct 22&24) as a tune up, before joining the NHL Canucks when they are back from their road trip, and play the Vancouver home opener Oct 26th.

That’s all assuming things work out with the “personal matter” and he reports, of course.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

After watching Benning speak today I get the impression that Hamonic's absence is supported by the Canucks. Jim said something along the lines of "personal matters means it something significant and isn't what you guys (read media) think it is". He essentially insinuated that the media has got it wrong and it is more than just being anti-vax.

I think we should probably chill on the whole suspend him without pay talk until we know what's up.

Either side could stop this by just saying it's not related to vaccination.

• Like 2

I wonder what's been agreed to behind closed doors, you'd like to think JB has some sort of arrangement here with Hamonic that we don't know about and that maybe this is a sneaky way to keep him at home away from it all while we don't pay his cap, and maybe he comes into the season later down the line?

Who knows, lot of smoke...

• Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder what's been agreed to behind closed doors, you'd like to think JB has some sort of arrangement here with Hamonic that we don't know about and that maybe this is a sneaky way to keep him at home away from it all while we don't pay his cap, and maybe he comes into the season later down the line?

Who knows, lot of smoke...

Yes, but why not just agree to mutually terminate the contract and allow the Canucks to move forward. I don't deny Hamonic's privacy; we have no right to know the problem nor should we speculate.

What we as fans can be pissed about is that he choose to sign a contract in July, and has been stringing the Canucks along for the last month. He had lots of chances to make it right earlier (ie. opting out for 2021), but he choose this route. As another poster brought up, we could of had Ceci for an extra couple of dollars. Is he better than Hamonic, no....but at LEAST HE WOULD BE AVAILABLE. In that Hamonic has screwed the Canucks over; should never be that he  choose his family or such.

Edited by BC_Hawk

25 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Smart guy not to speculate. Nice to see in this day and age.

I agree. What I find annoying (in this day and age with everyone collecting clicks) is the guys saying earlier that their guest will have more info and then the guest comes on and says we should know more soon. 

No new news is constantly being sold as news

2 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

I agree. What I find annoying (in this day and age with everyone collecting clicks) is the guys saying earlier that their guest will have more info and then the guest comes on and says we should know more soon. 

No new news is constantly being sold as news

Haha...yep; click, click, click....more advertising $$$$.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Smart guy not to speculate. Nice to see in this day and age.

It’s a tricky situation, until there’s a definitive statement from Hamonic, or he gives permission to the club.

Until then, his personal information is protected.

The Province has given very clear guidance to employers that they may not release personal health information to the public, when it comes to an employee’s vaccination status, so the Canucks can’t really comment on whether or not Hamonic’s issues are vaccine related, even if they wanted to.

With the media, it’s maybe not quite as clear legally, but ethically, it’s pretty much a no-go, as far as directly commenting on Hamonic’s personal health information, without his consent, and without the approval of the team. 

And even if a reporter wanted to cross that ethical line, the team has been very clear that they will not take kindly to any member of the media doing so.

Most media members depend on access to do their jobs, and they would not be willing to go against such a clear prohibition from the team.

There would almost certainly be consequences, possibly even ones that would threaten careers.

So, basically, unless Hamonic says it’s okay to release the information, no one’s going to speak directly to the issue (if it’s vaccine related).

Not the team or the press.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s a tricky situation, until there’s a definitive statement from Hamonic, or he gives permission to the club.

Until then, his personal information is protected.

The Province has given very clear guidance to employers that they may not release personal health information to the public, when it comes to an employee’s vaccination status, so the Canucks can’t really comment on whether or not Hamonic’s issues are vaccine related, even if they wanted to.

With the media, it’s maybe not quite as clear legally, but ethically, it’s pretty much a no-go, as far as directly commenting on Hamonic’s personal health information, without his consent, and without the approval of the team. 

And even if a reporter wanted to cross that ethical line, the team has been very clear that they will not take kindly to any member of the media doing so.

Most media members depend on access to do their jobs, and they would not be willing to go against such a clear prohibition from the team.

There would almost certainly be consequences, possibly even ones that would threaten careers.

So, basically, unless Hamonic says it’s okay to release the information, no one’s going to speak directly to the issue (if it’s vaccine related).

Not the team or the press.

I don't think we've heard any big press names talking about it, but there have definitely been some smaller press names throwing the vaccine thing around. I guess maybe they feel they have less to lose by taking the risk.

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don't think we've heard any big press names talking about it, but there have definitely been some smaller press names throwing the vaccine thing around. I guess maybe they feel they have less to lose by taking the risk.

True, but if you read most of their actual statements, they are still being very careful with their wording.

And there’s more than enough in Benning’s direct quotes to support that line of reporting, and still stay on the right side legally and ethically.

Honestly, I’ve been more surprised by the restraint shown by the local media, when it comes to this story.

Typo

On 10/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, Provost said:

Guess what comes with the territory making millions of dollars and operating a major league sports team… or any business.  

Communicating with your customers when you are asking them to patronize and support your business.

If Hamonic was dealing with personal issues he could be put on LTIR without giving any specific details of the reason.

If Hamonic was just refusing to report because he changed his mind after signing his contract then he should be suspended or terminated.

If something totally unusual is happening he should be telling his customers.

This isn’t rocket science.  You just have to go look at how Bergevin and Price have handled their situation in a much more aggressive and rabid market than ours.

Not when it comes to personal matters of employees.  Nope.  There are certain confidential aspects of the relationship that have to be respected.   We know all that we need to know...the rest is details that we aren't privy to.  Most are ok with that.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2