The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Wait this is only on Sportsnet pacific? I was holding out on centre ice for there ridiculous price but I thought the first 4 Alberta games wouldn’t be blacked out being in Calgary.

but the flames are on west tonight 

Njhggygcxbjugvbufzryh#####?!!€?,~?>chjj

I surrender, Telus you win

EDIT 

I see the flames are on earlier and I will get the game with out centre ice 

Telus , you lose! ...... for now

The game is on Telus (Calgary) channel 912 -Sportsnet 1.

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Does anyone ever feel like McDavid should slow the play down sometimes.  What I’m getting at is how many times a game does he end up attacking the D 1 vs 2 and if he doesn’t score it’s usually a turnover going back the other way.  The guys wheels and skill are amazing but the team won’t get over the hump until it becomes more of a team game for him.  Hopefully takes him a long time to figure it out.

Hear ya. Get the vibe that McKinnon is better at choosing precisely When to unleash the beast. That said, his surrounding cast is no comparison to EDM's smoking scrap heap.

End of the day, 12.5 mill to one saviour leads to an unbalanced squad.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

Second language or not, the calling was brutal. 

A second language by the way, that he's fluent in... So I don't see how that makes a difference on his "calling style". 

What was so brutal about it?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -Moose said:

What was so brutal about it?

As others have mentioned, the cringe yamamoto call for starters. Screwing up Roussels first name, repeating the fact of Kahun and Drai being friends growing up in Germany like 5 times. List goes on... I also just found his voice to be grating for some reason... It's hard when you're used to more seasoned announcers to get someone new, who you're not really fond of their "style".

2 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

As others have mentioned, the cringe yamamoto call for starters. Screwing up Roussels first name, repeating the fact of Kahun and Drai being friends growing up in Germany like 5 times. List goes on... I also just found his voice to be grating for some reason... It's hard when you're used to more seasoned announcers to get someone new, who you're not really fond of their "style".

it was his first game so I am willing to cut the guy some slack.

but I did notice some pretty funny stuff, especially in the first half of the game.

I think he settled in as the game went on though

I did get a good laugh when he said Holtby hugged the post when he was on the wrong post

and 

when he said Pettersson laid a "THUNDROUS HIT" when he tripped over the net, or his own foot

it was far from a perfect game, but I think he will be alright

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I bet with Bailey being called up he is in and Mcewen is out tonight 

I am betting Loui being on the roster was a cap move 

and no changes for tonight except maybe the goalie

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

Second language or not, the calling was brutal. 

A second language by the way, that he's fluent in... So I don't see how that makes a difference on his "calling style". 

because he's spent the last several years processing the game, thinking, and speaking to an audience in punjabi, not english, and this was his first time doing it in english, in real time, on the first night of the season, with hundreds of thousands of people watching. 

it's not just the players who didn't get a preseason. 

• Vintage 1

So, last night after McDavid hit Hughes, I saw a short clip of Van bench getting on him. He was shaking his head, like a 'I don't care'

Now I don't advocate that he be targeted maliciously but I wonder if Bo and his growing presence will have a word with him.  Anyway, I say we just start anew and continue our game plan. Smith likes to play the puck and is usually helpful in transition, something to think about.

Edited by Western Red

1 minute ago, tas said:

because he's spent the last several years processing the game, thinking, and speaking to an audience in punjabi, not english, and this was his first time doing it in english, in real time, on the first night of the season, with hundreds of thousands of people watching. 

it's not just the players who didn't get a preseason. 

You're very avidly defending this man, which can only lead me to believe that you as well are Pubjabi? You need to chill dude, this isn't a racial thing for anyone who is criticizing... No need to be this guys white knight. 

Guy just wasn't for a lot of people on here and that's fine, we know what we like and he's not it... At least not right now anyway. 

7 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Petey: “Y’know, I had 10 goals in my first 10 games...”

Hogz: “Hold my beer...”

lol, not that I have high expectations or anything...

Last night when the one guy says “ really Vancouver, another one?” That was cool! About time people give Jimbo and his team some credit. (On live tv) 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Folks getting a bit to tied up into the play-by-play. The guy was fine. If you don't like the play-caller, turn off the audio and just watch the game. I'm here to watch hockey, Jim Hughson is my bonus. If he ain't doing it, I'm generally zoning out the announcers anyways, but the new individual (don't have his name) did just fine, like better than most folks would ever do on National TV.

There are more important things to focus on, like the fact that LOUI ERIKSSON IS NOT ON THE ROSTER! Focus on the positives folks :)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Western Red said:

So, last night after McDavid hit Hughes, I saw a short clip of Van bench getting on him. He was shaking his head, like a 'I don't care'

Now I don't advocate that he be targeted maliciously but I wonder if Bo and his growing presence will have a word with him.  Anyway, I say we just start anew and continue our game plan. Smith likes to play the puck and is usually helpful in transition, something to think about.

We just need to convince Motte that he's McDavids teammate and let the rest take care of itself. 

And ofc McGreedy doesn't care, if anyone breathes on him too hard it's a hooking penalty. He hasn't started whining as hard as Hall or Crosby, but it'll happen. 

• Haha 1