The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

36 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

So much for a step  back hey? that was b.s. and I love how Bo responded to the step back statement the media told him about... He knows we didn't and can't wait to prove it by the looks of things! 

What the media say?

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

At the end of the season, when they miss the playoffs again. How can they want to stay, when the team is mostly comprised of bargain basement signings? 

Edmonton sadly is the victim of it's own geography. 

Didn't help the previous GM was a bonehead. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point. I'm sure if Holland received word that McDingbat wanted a trade, he'd be able to get an colossal return for him though. 

Most likely - and the return would be able to set the Oilers up to either start flipping and retooling to make them fairly competitive (if they actually had an idea on how to build a team)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

Most likely - and the return would be able to set the Oilers up to either start flipping and retooling to make them fairly competitive (if they actually had an idea on how to build a team)

Holland could do it, I think. The biggest issue with Edmonton was the Chia infection that they had for those few years. They're still recovering from it.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is the difference between building a team, and just high draft picks. You can have all the skill you want, but if your team can't work together. Or you have massive flaws like a lack of high end goaltending or defence. It's all for nothing. 

Yep. Their success is entirely dependent upon McDavid and Draisaitl. You can’t expect to go anywhere unless you have a great support system all around. Look at the Penguins for example. Sid was the best player in the league for a while, but he had a plethora of great players around him from Geno, Letang, Fleury, Orpik, Kessel etc and they won multiple cups. Same with Chicago. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rindiculous said:

Yah it'll make it feel better when we get swept by the Jets.

Ugh, why do we have to play the jets :frantic:

I was wondering about that. Getting into the playoffs just means you need basically run two of the division. Then go above .500 for the rest. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Guy is getting a lot of flack here for calling the game last night. He seems to just be breaking into the big leagues and even though he made some errors (e.g. calling Roussel, Dominik Roussel), I thought he was okay. A lot of pressure to deliver a perfect play-by-play your first time. Good for him, although, I'm looking forward to the two Johns being back. 

Great result last night. I thought Jake played awful for the first two periods, but really turned things around in the third. He started making better plays, faster. Holtby was good, but then he let in a bad goal. and then he was good again. It'll take time to get used to a new team. Looking forward to Demko stealing the starter position. Hoglander is like a ball of energy out there. Fast and fearless. It looks like Bo and Pears are having fun on that line. Pettersson didn't look like himself, but that's okay, only Game 1. Boeser looks great this year. Glad Schmidt is okay after getting the puck in the neck. 

I expect EDM to come out with a better effort, they won't want to drop 2 in a row to start the season. VAN can still win it though.  

Well that didn't take long, first game of the season. ::D

Very little time playing on the top line and no pre-season and FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON! , and he is AWFUL? 

I seen a little tentativeness in his game but he seemed more relaxed as the game went on, geez cut the guy a little slack, at least for a few games anyway. :towel:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

lets see how you sound calling your first game in your second language. 

Why should that be the bar? It should be the best person for the job regardless of race/language/gender/etc. Maybe listen to him call some highlights in English before giving him a national broadcast. Frankly I doubt his monotone delivery and lack of understanding of what was happening in the game would have been good in any language. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Well that didn't take long, first game of the season. ::D

Very little time playing on the top line and no pre-season and FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON! , and he is AWFUL? 

I seen a little tentativeness in his game but he seemed more relaxed as the game went on, geez cut the guy a little slack, at least for a few games anyway. :towel:

I just meant that Jake seemed out of place, whenever he got the puck, it took him a while to make a decision what to do with it. The good players don't really have to think too much about it, it's instinct. And then when he did make a play, it wasn't the best choice. But, I'll definitely cut him some slack, it was only Game 1, and saying that, he did improve, almost like a different player in the 3rd. He was quick on pucks and plays. Maybe watching Hoglander come into camp and then Game 1 will motivate him to stay in the Top 6? He knows Podkolzin is on the way in the spring as well.