The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

At this point I’d have to say Gallant, I still don’t know what happened in Vegas but he could right the ship, Vegas played tough and he could bring that to our team. I’m not that much into analytics to know what other coaches have to offer, I just look at what’s in front of me, ie: Green and my life long experiences both in coaching sports and business IMHO he will not get us a Cup.

that'd be my choice too if we were changing coaches, but with florida and vegas letting him go, not sure whats going on there, because the knights were successful under him but there still doing well now.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No - not really.

Chatfield at 33.3% ozone starts

OJ at 34.1% ozone starts.  OJ also playing a 2nd pairing penatly killing role (nearly 2 minutes/game pk).

Not sheltered - actually quite challenging minutes, particularly for rookies,

Playing with a veteran partner isn't really enough to consider them 'sheltered' imo.

Which is very promising.  They're both proving to be very serviceable already - so blueline depth is looking pretty good.

I accept your point.......and agree

I should have been more to the point

Was trying to soft sell

Love them both, just responding to some earlier comments

OJ has not played bad at all, nor has Chatfield

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Well, here’s my prediction, Neither AV nor Green will ever win a cup. Bookmark it, hold me to it, if either do I’ll donate $200 to Canucks Place and if either do it with the Canucks I’ll double it.

How about just donate to Canucks Place because it’s the right thing to do. Go Canucks Go :towel:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Same.

His 'down years' are still over a 60 point pace. Yet we should get rid of him. Made no sense - Brock is a stud. 

if not for covid, we'd have had Toffi and Miller from game one of this season and I'm betting we'd be sitting close to the top of the league, however no salary cap increase meant we lost Toffi and thanks again to covid JT didn't show up right away either and was still getting into game shape..

(few quick losses) and PANIC!!! geeez, I thought CDC was going to blow a gasket along with the media. Enough to make you shake your head BUT then enter Nate, Braden, and Nils helping things turn around as they started to fit in with games as practice (sadly) but again covid took the pre-season where that should have already happened but whatever, it's over and we're only going to get better so all the more reason just to let the haters hate and chuckle at them when the team pulls it together even before the rebuild finish date has arrived(ish) in 2 seasons with not only a better roster but better depth... 

Honestly if the haters want to bash management when the finished product isn't done yet can always just go cheer for someone else... wah..  lol

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Huh? Hoglander has been playing against men since 15years old. Not sure what you are referring to when you say his stats are inflated against younger players 

Hoglander was in  U16 and J18 in 2015-16 (15 years old at the time) neither are a Mens league both these divisions are lower then a WHL league where you have 19-20 year olds playing. Hoglander didn't play for SHL till 2018-19 same year he played first season in U20 (so Hoglander didn't play with men till he was 18 years old)

Petey on the other hand Played with the SHL 17-18 (19 years old, lead the season in points and won their championship he was a major part of it) and 2014-15 played in the U20(16 years old) again in 2015-16 and 17 years old and again in 2016-17 at 18 years old. 

All in all I stick to my original point Hoglander would be considered a late Bloomer and that is why no NHL team took him in the first round and as a 19 year old his 2019-20 season in the SHL would be considered not very good 41 games 9 goals 7 assist 16 pts 

21 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Jannik Hansen 2.0 with better skill set  rebirth both number 36 

Hansen was never this good when he first broke in. Honestly Ive watch the Canucks for over 30 years, Ive never seen a rookie just step in to the roster and be THAT tenacious hounding the puck. Hogs playing fearless, going in front of the net, battling guys way bigger than him. Its incredible watching him play, he's already so so much better than Jake ever was

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Hoglander was in  U16 and J18 in 2015-16 (15 years old at the time) neither are a Mens league both these divisions are lower then a WHL league where you have 19-20 year olds playing. Hoglander didn't play for SHL till 2018-19 same year he played first season in U20 (so Hoglander didn't play with men till he was 18 years old)

Petey on the other hand Played with the SHL 17-18 (19 years old, lead the season in points and won their championship he was a major part of it) and 2014-15 played in the U20(16 years old) again in 2015-16 and 17 years old and again in 2016-17 at 18 years old. 

All in all I stick to my original point Hoglander would be considered a late Bloomer and that is why no NHL team took him in the first round and as a 19 year old his 2019-20 season in the SHL would be considered not very good 41 games 9 goals 7 assist 16 pts 

Hoglander played for AIK 2016-2018 season.

AIK plays in Sweden men’s second division

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0035722017.html

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

How about I did anyways and this is just extra but maybe you could?

My wife and I had 3 kids and luckily they all grew up healthy and happy but being a parent, every little thing scared the $&!# out of us. We could never imagine how hard it must be to have a sick child so for almost 30 years we have been quite generous donating to Canucks Place and Children’s Hospital. Although I don’t gamble I do like fun bet and always is the condition the loser donates to either charity. If you were to search, I believe last year I bet on a game in a thread and that thread resulted in a few hundred dollars being donated to Canucks Place, you see, I love my team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Just to add another thing, Bieksa was absolutely HILARIOUS tonight! That dig on Fedor Fedorov, that was pure gold. Bieksa, Elliot Friedman and Burkie need their own intermission show (Juice stand?) Im not sure theres anybody more entertaining in a hockey broadcast anywhere than Kevin Bieksa

He definitely found his niche, I had the pleasure of meeting him and we both had a few good laughs.

8 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Ok let me rephrase His stats where inflated compared to guys that couldn't even make it to the ECHL or a North American Beer league LOL and on the international stage his stats where not good till his Draft +1 year therefore I still stand by what I said in the original post  he is a late Bloomer

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Ok let me rephrase His stats where inflated compared to guys that couldn't even make it to the ECHL or a North American Beer league LOL and on the international stage his stats where not good till his Draft +1 year therefore I still stand by what I said in the original post  he is a late Bloomer

My hunch is that the smaller ice surface may also contribute to Hogs success. Some player's games just translate better to NA ice since its smaller, hence it makes Hogs puck pursuit skills more profound

13 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Keep in mind as well some scouting reports had Petey not even in the top 10, Petey could be called a late Bloomer as well. He didn't play in the SHL till draft +1

22 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Hansen was never this good when he first broke in. Honestly Ive watch the Canucks for over 30 years, Ive never seen a rookie just step in to the roster and be THAT tenacious hounding the puck. Hogs playing fearless, going in front of the net, battling guys way bigger than him. Its incredible watching him play, he's already so so much better than Jake ever was

Burr although he was older.

I am such a big fan of Hoglander. His game, his interviews, his confidence. This kid is an absolute steal with the 40th pick. 

We came from having the big five players on our team, to now having the big six IMO. And so many other nice pieces around those six to boot (Demko, Schmidt, Motte, Podz eventually, and more of course). I’m loving the way our roster is shaping up. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck
To clarify that it’s just my opinion
  • Cheers 1