The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jake Virtanen For Sam Bennett

I heard Sam Bennett 24, wants a  trade out of Calgary. I really like the gritty tough game Bennett plays only 24 yrs old, scored 18 goals in his first season..

I would trade Jake Virtanen , 24 years old for Sam Bennett, 24 years old..

Both players need a new start and both players are very talented... Both guys should be 18--24 goal scorers...

Please make this trade Jim Benning...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

i dont know if Calgary makes this trade.  Id take it in a heartbeat.  18yr old isnt the sharpest when it comes to reading the play but he is pretty tough and elevates his game in the playoffs.

Calgary's stolen enough from us, it's time we took something from them again (for Jake who might be a lot of nothing).

• Cheers 1

honestly i thought jake would come out strong this season, been a big supporter of him, but i'd do that, probs have to chuck a 3rd or 4th in or something.

edit: probs dont have to add any picks.

Edited by TNucks1

Just now, BowtieCanuck said:

No. Jake is just starting to blossom and trading him would make the whole development a complete waste. Besides, if both are 18-24 goal scorers. then what is the point of the trade in the first place?

bennet plays way more with an edge and which virtanen is for some reason not willing too do for w.e reason?, hell he isnt even hitting people like he did in his first year. i wouldnt mind it but if we keep virt too i aint complaining, lets hope he's just having a slow start.

55 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

bennet plays way more with an edge and which virtanen is for some reason not willing too do for w.e reason?, hell he isnt even hitting people like he did in his first year. i wouldnt mind it but if we keep virt too i aint complaining, lets hope he's just having a slow start.

He also disappears during the regular season. Basically you're getting two opposite players, and doesn't really fix anything. Bennett got 36 points in his rookie year and has regressed. Virtanen got 36 points last year but doesn't have drive or consistency. I'd rather see Jake for something else. 

• Cheers 2

At this point I'd make this deal. I'm relatively confident in how our top six is coming together, so moving Jake for a young player who could provide some grit to our bottom six and give us another option at center is something that appeals to me. Would allow us to move Gaudette to wing full time as well.

3 hours ago, Rabbit said:

What is the cap used for Bennett?

i was reading on reddit that there both same cap hit but bennetts contract ends this season and jakes ends after next years, also with covid cap i seriously doubt he gets a raise, depending on if this actually goes down and preforms well.

• Thanks 1

Based on the fact that Gaudette has been deployed as a left winger as of late, I’d probably try and add 
Gaudette to a Virtanen/Bennett deal in order to make it a four player deal (so we’d get Bennett and maybe someone like Josh Leivo or Joakim Nordstrom in return).   Bennett can play LW more naturally than Gaudette and can also play the center role a lot more defensively in that 3rd line role which can help alleviate pressure off of Horvat once Sutter inevitably gets injured at some point.

Getting Leivo back would be nice but I don’t think Calgary would give us Leivo.   Maybe they give us Nordstrom?    

Or - Canucks get Bennett and a draft pick for Gaudette and Virtanen and simply promote someone like Justin Bailey from the farm?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ImConfused said:

Maybe when he was 18 years old, now Sammy is past his prime and on the decline into 4th line grinder obscurity :lol:

He can play center and can play it in a traditional defensive oriented way.  In other words, he could be our long term Sutter replacement and help take defensive responsibility/pressure off of Horvat’s shoulders which could free up Horvat for more offensive assignments.  Bennett also seems to elevate his game come playoff time.  For the immediate time, Bennett can play LW while Sutter plays center for us.  Bennett plays LW a lot more naturally than Gaudette (who has been playing LW on Sutter’s line).

Gaudette and Virtanen for Bennett and a draft pick.  Promote Justin Bailey.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

He can play center and can play it in a traditional defensive oriented way.  In other words, he could be our long term Sutter replacement and help take defensive responsibility/pressure off of Horvat’s shoulders which could free up Horvat for more offensive assignments.  Bennett also seems to elevate his game come playoff time.  For the immediate time, Bennett can play LW while Sutter plays center for us.  Bennett plays LW a lot more naturally than Gaudette (who has been playing LW on Sutter’s line).

Gaudette and Virtanen for Bennett and a draft pick.  Promote Justin Bailey.

You're just substituting one problem for another. Garth is correct, if the team is trading Jake, I'd want someone else. Or just trade him for a draft pick. You want consistency you're not going to get it with SB. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You're just substituting one problem for another. Garth is correct, if the team is trading Jake, I'd want someone else. Or just trade him for a draft pick. You want consistency you're not going to get it with SB. 

Here’s my thing with Bennett and here’s what seems to be the criticism of Bennett:

Although the guy lacks consistency when it comes to scoring and producing offense, the guy is quite good defensively and plays aggressively.    

So - even if he never lives up to his hype in terms of being a 4th Overall, he can still bring other important qualities to the table such as helping out Horvat in terms of taking on tough defensive assignments (which can free up Horvat more for offensive deployment).    

Bennett would basically become our Brandon Sutter replacement following this year.   Ideally, the Canucks could trade for a guy like Colton Sissons instead but there’s no way Nashville gives him up.   Take what becomes available.

Bennett may never live up to the hype, but I see our future 3rd line center in him.  

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

No. Jake is just starting to blossom and trading him would make the whole development a complete waste. Besides, if both are 18-24 goal scorers. then what is the point of the trade in the first place?

The point is that Bennett can play center and is also much better defensively than Jake.   If the Canucks are looking for a long term replacement for Sutter than Bennett is your guy.    As much as I like Gaudette, he's not a guy that's going to help out Horvat in terms of taking on tough defensive assignments.