The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

I just don't want any panic moves to salvage the season. 

I like our young core of

Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson Hughes, Hoglander, Demko

I like the secondary young guys like AG and JV Chatfield and Juolevi, Motte

I like 25% of the vets. 

The turnaround will take time (some bad vet contracts to run out), our young guys to develop. I mean develop in terms of learning the 2 way game. 

Now's not the time to trade out the above pieces for a quick fix because that might make us competitive right now but less competitive in the long run

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought about Benning being the problem - and he is - but, I also believe it's coaching. It's not the roster, this team has some real good players.

Maybe don't trade Jake? Get him a new coach for once.  

This is Jake's second coach at the NHL level. You could argue Willie's D credentials as a good coach for sure but he's had two.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Ottawa takes two out of three from Montreal while we don’t even look to be in the same league as the Habs. You really think that’s a roster issue?

Ottawa was 1 of 2 against the Habs.

They won against the Leafs though.

The real gauge was how Ottawa performed against the Canucks.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought about Benning being the problem - and he is - but, I also believe it's coaching. It's not the roster, this team has some real good players.

NUCKER67 with all respect for your personal opinion let me say that Jake didn't perform under Willie Desjardins and didn't perform most of the time under coach Travis Green. Yes, he had a career season, last year, BUT was a huge disappointment in the playoffs. The playoffs are the time in hockey where a player has to show - up. Jake didn't, unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Miller has been a great fit to our team. why do people need to blame a player or players who are having a down year during this covid time . none of us paid to go see the team play. nobody is out of pocket. no, just everyone who loved our team last year, are now turning on them.  when the team does get going and  all these rabid fans will say they always believed in them, ya right!!! 

He was traded multiple times the last few seasons for a reason. It was said before he got here, he’s an all star when things are going well but when they aren’t he just pouts and is the most frustrating player to watch. That’s why AV constantly benched him. It’s not about his poor play, it’s his attitude, giving up on plays, yelling at teammates when he’s doing $&!# all on the ice, etc. If you can’t see that and that’s the kind of player you like then dunno what to tell ya. Even last year there were plenty of times where Boeser seemed visibly frustrated with Miller and they would barely acknowledge each other after a goal. 

49 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I hate the front of his jersey more than his name in the back.:lol:

I hate the name on the back slightly more than the front of his jersey. He’s such an arrogant POS. That dbaggery that he pulled off last year lookin on the back of Sabourins jersey as in who the f*** are you?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

To be honest after his recent play I can't even say if Vancouver won the trade. It wasn't a disaster because Miller did help Vancouver make it to the playoffs and the pick ended up not being a lottery one. 

Fair. It's at least debatable, though. Right now JT looks like a beer-leaguer who toqued up in the parking lot before his 11:30 game . . . but I'm not going to judge him on this 15-game sample.

Then again, Marek Mazanec is apparently standing on his head for Mountfield HK in Extraliga . . . 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Quinn Skates said:

Agree!

Travis is fine.

You can only work with the pieces that you're given.

Does JB even have a plan or a timeline for this team?

That is laughable. If the players are quitting on JB to get him fired, and not Green, why wouldn't they play their hearts out to save Green? Haha! Who the hell writes this stuff? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DarthMelvin said:

New team then...

He needs a change of scenery. 

Alot of these players think they are  untouchable.

Being a local kid has caused problems for him I think. He hasn't had the need to grow up. A change of scenery would help with that for sure.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Off ice issues seem to be affecting this team hence Green's mental thing comment.

Those issues stem from I'd assume losing the key locker room guys in Marky and Tanev, both in Benning not on Travos.

Edited by Quinn Skates

Jake feels like he's playing the role of a what he thinks a tough guy is. (When he steps up which isn't often). He needs to stop acting and become something. Create some identity for yourself. Make yourself useful or risk being disposable.

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

That is laughable. If the players are quitting on JB to get him fired, and not Green, why wouldn't they play their hearts out to save Green? Haha! Who the hell writes this stuff? 

Coz playing their hearts out will be a positive thing and will not get the message across.

You think the ownership aren't aware of the real issue? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I just don't want any panic moves to salvage the season. 

I like our young core of

Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson Hughes, Hoglander, Demko

I like the secondary young guys like AG and JV Chatfield and Juolevi, Motte

I like 25% of the vets. 

The turnaround will take time (some bad vet contracts to run out), our young guys to develop. I mean develop in terms of learning the 2 way game. 

Now's not the time to trade out the above pieces for a quick fix because that might make us competitive right now but less competitive in the long run

Well yeah. I like this post. Even though we are sucking horribly it doesn't change much in the long run. We're still waiting for contracts to expire. Two-three years is when we're realistically set up to compete anyway. For all the handwringing here we will have the advantage of not having Markstrom and Tanev on bad contracts at that time. We won't have Tofolli but once again I don't think he does much against the rest of the league besides his grudge against us.

We're just going to get a high draft pick this way. This is actually what Tampa did when they got Stamkos. Went from being one of the better teams to last in the league for one year, and then right back to the top of the league.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Miller has been a great fit to our team. why do people need to blame a player or players who are having a down year during this covid time . none of us paid to go see the team play. nobody is out of pocket. no, just everyone who loved our team last year, are now turning on them.  when the team does get going and  all these rabid fans will say they always believed in them, ya right!!! 

When Miller is the only one scoring in games its a problem. 

Not every is a "good try guys" type of fan. 

8 hours ago, BENN said:

Long live the next season, we have a good core, build up on that and no panic move to save the season.

Fire green if downward spiral continues, it`s needed.

I guess it's better that we have a season like this right now, than have to go through this 82 games. 

Couldn't imagine. I'd think as well by this time next season, we'd be back at Rogers Arena again. But if the team plays like this, might be as if no fans are in attendance. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Jake feels like he's playing the role of a what he thinks a tough guy is. (When he steps up which isn't often). He needs to stop acting and become something. Create some identity for yourself. Make yourself useful or risk being disposable.

would you please put a date or timeline on this - when can we expect that this is happening? No hope anymore that Jake Virtanen builds an identiy for himself and to figure out for himself what kind of players he wants to be. This ship has sailed. He is disposable, because he has been a healthy scratch several times this season. Game over and out. Let's move on.

Oh yeah, forgot about Willie D., but maybe he Canucks need a coach who's been there and will demand excellence. 

Green is still learning how to be an NHL coach, like Pettersson is learning to be a superstar, like Horvat is learning to be a captain. This team, including the coach, is relying on inexperience to win games. They need a coach who will get them all on the same page and do what it takes to win. Green is sitting back saying the players will figure it out. I think he's lost the room. 

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well yeah. I like this post. Even though we are sucking horribly it doesn't change much in the long run. We're still waiting for contracts to expire. Two-three years is when we're realistically set up to compete anyway. For all the handwringing here we will have the advantage of not having Markstrom and Tanev on bad contracts at that time. We won't have Tofolli but once again I don't think he does much against the rest of the league besides his grudge against us.

We're just going to get a high draft pick this way. This is actually what Tampa did when they got Stamkos. Went from being one of the better teams to last in the league for one year, and then right back to the top of the league.

2-3 years is a long time in a player's career. By that future time, Pettersson and Hughes will be 23-24 years old already, in their prime. Horvat will be 28/29 years old at that time. If Miller is still around he'd be 32-33 years old. No garauntee ever that we'd be contenders at that time - really depends on what the next GM is going to do, and his ability to move out contracts - if he can do that - we might not have to wait 2-3 years. The most important contract to me that needs to go is Eriksson. The man is a demoralizer in the sense that he's being paid to produce like a top six forward, but he's sitting on most nights in the press box. That changes I think moving forward, because Green needs to have a more defensive posture, though after last night's loss again to the Leafs, I'm not sure it's making a difference. 

16 minutes ago, Quinn Skates said:

Ottawa was 1 of 2 against the Habs.

They won against the Leafs though.

The real gauge was how Ottawa performed against the Canucks.

Point being that they beat Montreal and only lost 2-1 in the other game while Montreal absolutely kicked our teeth in. Ottawa has Erik Gudbranson in their top 4. Our roster, while far from perfect, is miles and miles better than Ottawa’s.