The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you had enough?

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

I'll tell you this ... Whenever I need a pick me up from a Canucks perspective, I go to these two recent memories. 

Say what you will about Ryan Miller, but this is exactly what we need on the team - intensity, fire, hunger, big plays.

Two of my favorite Canucks memories of all time. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Personally, for me, this would only matter if Canucks won the cup at the end. 

This one make me laugh

Then you're in it for all the wrong reasons!

Honestly....there are so many stepping stones TO getting to a cup and those are to be celebrated as great games/moments.  Anyone who does not get a bit of a chill over this one is missing the point, completely.

It was one of the happiest but sudden moments/goals of my memories of being a Canucks fan. Juice is forever a beauty. Sorry just realized this was already posted but still a great memory among fans. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Remy said:

Definitely one of mine as well, especially since I was at that game. 

I was finishing a year at university and planned to travel through Vancouver on my way home. I looked at the playoff schedule and realized I'd be in Vancouver on the day of a game. I had been to a few games before, but it was a pretty rare occurrence for me as I never lived in Vancouver, and I had never been to a playoff game. Despite being a poor student, I had a feeling that this was an opportunity that I couldn't pass up. So, not even knowing what the first round match up would be (it was expected to be Dallas at the time, if I recall), I bought a ticket. 

The ticket I bought was for "home game 4", which I had misread as "game 4". So when I bought the ticket, I thought for sure it would be a game that I would get to see. Then the playoff matches were solidified and we were paired up with Chicago. I was worried, Chicago seemed to have our number, but no matter what, game 4 had to take place, right? Then I realized ... "home game 4" actually meant game 7 of the series. I started to really worry at that point. What were the odds that Vancouver and Chicago went to 7 games? Given recent history, I wasn't optimistic. 

Then, Vancouver won three games in a row to open the series. I really didn't expect a game 7 to happen at that point, though I was glad it was for the opposite reason I had initially assumed (Chicago handing our ass to us). But then Chicago won. And won again. And won again. Pretty surreal. 

So I showed up to the arena for game 7 honestly unsure if my ticket would even be valid, because I had bought it through Stub Hub. I was worried that whoever sold the ticket might somehow have the option to change their minds even. When the ticket was scanned and I made my way into the arena, that's when the excitement really kicked in. 

And it was a low scoring game! The Canucks led 1 - 0 for the vast majority of it. When Chicago tied it up near the end of the 3rd, my heart sank. I thought for sure that they would have the momentum and that this would be the end. But I also thought, what the heck, at least I'll be there for the final game they play that season. 

Most of the game is a bit of a blur, but the end is not. I can remember clear as day how Burrows took that shot and "slayed the dragon". I was so pumped up that on my way out I bought an autographed and framed photo of Daniel Sedin (the same year he won the Art Ross, no less). It's hanging up in my home, while the ticket and playoff towel are safely stored away.

The energy outside the arena was completely nuts as well. I grew up in a small town and to see so many people, in such a big city, cheering in the streets like maniacs ... was almost overwhelming. 

That was the first and (so far) only playoff game I've ever been to. 

That is amazing!   You're so lucky to have been there in person, wow!   I'd probably be a bit the same leading up to it...full of anxiety over "what if" re the ticket being valid, etc.

So glad you got to take this in...I've only been to one playoff game as well (that year also).

I almost didn't make the game....(I never miss one....haven't in over a decade).  Last minute my son needed a ride to Surrey after I got off work and it was a chaotic deal as, on the way back as I was passing a semi, my tire blew!   Managed to steer over to the side of the road...RIGHT in front of the funeral home Mom was cremated at.   Had no cell or jack (that I knew of...apparently I did hidden in a compartment under the back seat) and it was a fairly deserted area except for a bit of industrialized stuff on the water.  Happened to see a Quiznos sign and ran there!  Called BCAA and pleaded with them to hurry....told the dispatcher I"D DIE if I missed this game...said he'd see what he could do (was a 1-2 hour wait).  Ran back to the car and the tow truck pulled up shortly afterward...I listened to the anthem and the first goal while sitting on the side of the road.  Finally got things fixed up and flew home to catch the rest of the game.  Was an emotional basketcase but that was a well earned win....for all of us!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I will never forget that celly as long as I live.  That goal saved AV's job at a time when another young core was just coming into their own.

I remember this game. The Canucks were on a long losing streak, but were busting their b#lls every game, trying hard to change their fortunes. But I remember, the luck was brutal: pucks going in off defensemen, lucky bounces, once in a life time laser shots. I was amazed at how other teams were getting fortuitous goals, yet the Canucks couldn’t buy a goal. 
It seemed that no matter the effort, the hockey gods were going to go “Nope”. But our boys kept trying and trying and trying, and this game finally happened.

Which leads me to today. I just don’t see the effort to break this streak. Not yet anyway. And a Burrows replacement would help too. Could Big Zack be the answer?
We have the skill, we need some heart and soul now. 

Go Canucks, I love these memories!