The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Again it is the incompetence by the gm and asset management and financial

management where I think is reason for dismissal. Being ok with making trades without retaining the asset you received is bad. He got nothing bc for the assets he gave up. Then he comes out and says we ran out of time. It just isn’t how a successful team should be run.

All of that is in the past and cleaning it up would had cost alot of future assets.  We can disagree on our opinion in regards to JB cause I like the succession plan he has created through the drafts.    Plus, only Aquamans opinion will matter in the end - great short discussion.

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

We actually played pretty well. Encouraging. 

11 seconds is all that cost us... Otherwise we had Tarrana dominated 

Kinda can't help but laugh at the way this season is going. I hope our fan base can have some patience and ease up on firing people... Same staff that had us 1 period away from the conference finals... 

That being said I'd be ok if they brought in Todd Bertuzzi or Burrows as assistant coach right now to shake things up. 

We have a team full of exciting young stars.... More so than ever before... Let's just be patient. Jim will navigate us through this. 

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

I'd just say that IMO its not that they are losing their buddies.   I think they were pissed off that the veteran core of the team was ripped off the team. It's that they want to win a Cup at some point in their careers.  And the GM not only did not improve the team, he flubbed up and made it worse.  Misread how anxious Toffoli, Tanev, and Stecher would be in this shortened COVID season.  All of them expressed disappointment in the lack of communication. Felt they weren't wanted.  That is a huge error by JB.  He may at one time, been good a finding prospects, but he is not a people person.  He failed to appreciate how desperate they felt and how much time he could afford to let them wait in silence.

Toffoli should have been a  #1 priority.  Marky and even Tanev were long shots at what they were asking.  After wasting so many picks and prospects already, JB could absolutely not afford to just burn Madden + another second round pick. I'm sure players were assuming that too. Seriously, why would you trade for him with such precious commodities, especially for the Canucks with our stable, if you thought you couldn't re-sign him?  I certainly never regarded Toffoli as a rental. I don't know why Jim thought he could be treated like one.

Yeah they have to get over it. They probably are mostly. But you don't just turn off that kind of disappointment.  It doesn't help them to forget and move on when they face all that missing talent wearing a different jersey for multiple game series.  And losing. 

laughs were toying with us!!!!!! this is how a rebulit should look like, disorganized.  Getting a feeling for each other making mistakes from the young players!!! You guys wanted a a complete rebuild from goalie out now you have it.! GOOOO NUCKS!!! Let the good times begin 

33 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Oh ya you're right only 1500 times in professional sports history has a head coach been relieved without a permanent replacement already in place.  

Teams do this to send a message in an effort to get the players to come together. It happens all the time and it is time to do it here.  Green is not the guy.  

Lol.

I guess the part where I mentioned today’s climate went way over your head. 

5 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

eh its OK to lose to the maple laughs we havent won then since 2011 lol... whats the big deal??? just hopefully if we make it to the playoffs i just hope we dont have a mini playoff games against our division either going against toronto or montreal would be devastating.  Better Yet 7 years of GM benning was a retool.  This is our first year of a true rebuilding since we got rid of the core players this year!!!!!!

the Canucks beat up on Toronto forever, before that. including knocking them off in the WCF on route to a loss in the SCF.

they had a very long brown paper bag era - arguably about as long as any team.

so what goes around.....

But lucky for them, they won't have to pay any more young talent - that 40 million they're spending on 4 forwards won't hurt them until they produce some new prospects.:bigblush:

In other words - I'm not sure how long their 'window' is gonna be - so they might want to take advantage asap.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

A thread would be cool.I'm always interested in what Harman has to say.

I'm sure others would be as well.

The radio personalities in this city are completely useless, aside from Hirsh and Rintoul.  They all wanted Tanev, Stetch, Marky let go and replaced by younger inexperienced Utica players and now theyre crying about it.  

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Yea we dont even close to have the pieces the Avs do.  Petey and Hughes are no Mac or Makar or Byram.  

I agree we will get better but it will be with the development of Podz, Hogs, OJ and Woo.

I remember people questioning if Mac would be Mac.  I don't think you can put a ceiling on Petey and Hughes 

Just now, Cromeslab said:

Bo is Bo and he’s great,but he needs to step up here imo

Agree.  Love Bo but he needs to start using his linemates better.  Matching up against the other teams top lines isnt helping his offemsive game but he can be better.  I almost feel like Green should try Horvat between Petey and Hogz.  Try Miller between Boeser and Pearson.  Shake it up cuz 649 has become a brutal unit.

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'd just say that IMO its not that they are losing their buddies.   I think they were pissed off that the veteran core of the team was ripped off the team. It's that they want to win a Cup at some point in their careers.  And the GM not only did not improve the team, he flubbed up and made it worse.  Misread how anxious Toffoli, Tanev, and Stecher would be in this shortened COVID season.  All of them expressed disappointment in the lack of communication. Felt they weren't wanted.  That is a huge error by JB.  He may at one time, been good a finding prospects, but he is not a people person.  He failed to appreciate how desperate they felt and how much time he could afford to let them wait in silence.

Toffoli should have been a  #1 priority.  Marky and even Tanev were long shots at what they were asking.  After wasting so many picks and prospects already, JB could absolutely not afford to just burn Madden + another second round pick. I'm sure players were assuming that too. Seriously, why would you trade for him with such precious commodities, especially for the Canucks with our stable, if you thought you couldn't re-sign him?  I certainly never regarded Toffoli as a rental. I don't know why Jim thought he could be treated like one.

Yeah they have to get over it. They probably are mostly. But you don't just turn off that kind of disappointment.  It doesn't help them to forget and move on when they face all that missing talent wearing a different jersey for multiple game series.  And losing. 

there's a lot of whisper campaign material there I can't take seriously / or share your assumptions.

"JV failed to appreciate how desperate they felt"....  subjective story telling that is unqualifiable.

Second paragraph - couldn't disagree more = Toffoli was absolutely not 'priority 1' for all kinds of reasons I'm not going to repeat.

This story of losing because they're (still) sad about the veterans that left - is just too soft soap.

Simplify your puck movement, support the puck - things they did for the most part tonight and put themselves in a very good position to win.

Mushy minded stories - do not.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

On 07/02/2021 at 2:06 PM, Canuckster86 said:

let the PGT continue...

Was today's practice an easy one or did the coaches make em work hard after showing no effort last night!?

well playing as many games as we have since the start of the season, zero pre-season, no JT Miller, and new guys with no systems experience quickly added up to start to where we are now was NOT optimal stance out of the gate, normally we have a hot start then injuries with not much depth pushed us out of anything but downhill andddddd repeat, BUT like some of us know things are getting better and growing closer together because of it all and that's not going to show until a cpl of more years have passed which a bummer reality but it's not like all the long term contracts that didn't work out could magically on a wish so it would take time and it has and will be but it's almost done, and for once in 40 years it's not come at the expense of the farm that robbed us of depth when we needed it the most.. 

Anyway I'm glad those depressing days are over and we have a new core and a new hope and we surround them with a good support and take a run for a change, where in the middle of it, someone or more get injured in the gruelling physical battel to the cup and finally we have depth to come in and we don't lose a step and end up on the losing side AGAIN! 

Meh media and whatever fans who follow them and can't appreciate the difference of then and now and get all panicky..  well, too bad, so sad.. keep crying, keep whining... (drama queens) sheeesh.. if it wasn't so annoying it'd be more funnier than it is already.

Sadly it's getting (broken record) old which is the annoying part but as some posters have mentioned the 2 bad contracts and the mentorship contracts are pretty much ready to be over then by the time the cap is back to par again with cap to fill the roster spots needed, this team will be so much fun to watch again as an elite team WITH depth.. will be weird to get used to the depth we've never had before EVER!

GCG!!

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I remember people questioning if Mac would be Mac.  I don't think you can put a ceiling on Petey and Hughes 

I love Petey and hes our franchise centre but he doesnt have the same physical skills as Mac.  I know it will hurt fans hearing it but Hughes will never be a Makar and Byram has the ability to be even better than Makar.  

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

sorry he was awful, he needs to sit like forever!

Sorry, you like some other posters, just blindly saying he sucks or was awful when others were much worse. I'm not saying we should compare to the worst but he and the rest of the bottom 6 is not the major current concern with the team. I do believe it is the lack of system the coach has and instead of changing up or mixing up the top 6, he keeps on meddling the bottom 6.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

there's a lot of whisper campaign material there I can't take seriously / or share your assumptions.

"JV failed to appreciate how desperate they felt"....  subjective story telling that is unqualifiable.

Second paragraph - couldn't disagree more = Toffoli was absolutely not 'priority 1' for all kinds of reasons I'm not going to repeat.

This story of losing because they're (still) sad about the veterans that left - is just too soft soap.

Simplify your puck movement, support the puck - things they did for the most part tonight and put themselves in a very good position to win.

Mushy minded stories - do not.

Yes.  "Simplify your puck movement, support the puck - things they did for the most part tonight and put themselves in a very good position to win."  I agree.  And I am confident that as professionals they already have moved on. They've moved on from being pissed at JB, to being pissed at themselves, I'm sure.  It had nothing to do with "mushy minded stories".   It was anger that JB reduced their chances of lifting the Cup in their careers, by a couple more years at least, in a very short career sport.