The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 has been eliminated

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

17 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

I would go with shaw myself, never had an issue with them. Ive had several issues with telus over the years plus they fired me from a cell phone sales job so im a little biased against them

Nice to know telecoms seem to be consistent in just dumping staff.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nice to know telecoms seem to be consistent in just dumping staff.

Yep, every three months there is at least one opening there. They dont want anyone who has morals. They wanted us to heavily push a 160 dollar warranty on a phone that cost 200 at the time, like i had no problem offering it and telling the customer the benefits, but no way in hell am i going to deliberately screw over a customer when we have a small customer base in town to begin with

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Maybe they should look at the executive level for cost savings

Anyone know when this starts.? I wanna start a timer to see how long it lasts

It's on now. Seems like it's just going to be a bunch of pre-recorded stand-up sets.

The ratings for these stations absolutely tank in every Canadian market they're in. But they're cheap as heck to produce so it'll likely survive for a bit :(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

It's on now. Seems like it's just going to be a bunch of pre-recorded stand-up sets.

The ratings for these stations absolutely tank in every Canadian market they're in. But they're cheap as heck to produce so it'll likely survive for a bit :(

It's probably just a placeholder until they decide what to do with the station for real.

Still have the Vancast with J-Pat and the Drancer at least.  Saw a post on Reddit about the Revolution, former 1040 staff going to stream instead of pursuing another radio gig.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9lVGFhYnJkbg&ep=14&episode=MDRlYjQxMTgtNDA5ZC0xMWViLWE3MDYtYjc0MDczZjRjNjAx

This discusses the end of 1040.

Edited by Tre Mac

33 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

It's probably just a placeholder until they decide what to do with the station for real.

I don't know, the Funny brand has been in Hamilton and Calgary for 7-8 years now, the former second-last in the ratings and the latter, last. (source source)

The content is just so cheap to air that I guess it doesn't even matter if the listenership significantly tanks. It costs them next to nothing to air. With such low cost of labour to maintain, I think Bell is going to leave it up so they can forget about it.

Edited by EmilyM
typo

11 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Still have the Vancast with J-Pat and the Drancer at least.  Saw a post on Reddit about the Revolution, former 1040 staff going to stream instead of pursuing another radio gig.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9lVGFhYnJkbg&ep=14&episode=MDRlYjQxMTgtNDA5ZC0xMWViLWE3MDYtYjc0MDczZjRjNjAx

This discusses the end of 1040.

I can see a guy like Sekeres and Price going the podcast route

On 2/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Down by the River said:

Man I'll miss Don Taylor. 

I grew up in Haida Gwaii in the 90s. Didn't have cable. I'd sit in my room listening to CKNW on my Dad's radio. I'd spend half the game fiddling with the antenna.... and then the post-game show. I can still hear it. Don Taylor made me howl. I'd lay in bed throwing a baseball up and down trying to get it as close to the ceiling without actually hitting it. When games were really intense I'd whip a tennis ball against the wall and try to catch it like I was Bob Essensa/Felix Potvin (yeah, the goalie graveyard was a thing back then). I wanted so badly to be part of the team that I "punished" myself for losses. Every goal against with 20 situps and 10 pushups. A loss was an extra 50 and 25. Getting shutout was another 50 and 25. 

Radio will always be special to me because as a kid it was all I had to connect to the Canucks (except when my grandparents would send me VHS tapes of a game that happened like a month ago and I would watch it 10 times). 

Sucks to see hardworking people let go. I think I disagreed with guys on 1040 far more than I agreed with them, but I would always listen to 1040 over 650 because I felt that at least these people were passionate and their rants were either entertaining or at least somewhat thought-out (even if I disagreed with it I could understand why they felt that way). 

Listening to 650 is like drinking water. It goes down, you digest it, but you don't really taste it. Hopefully that changes. 

Ive met Don Taylor a few times around town through the years. Such a great dude, super friendly. Im not sure if this is the end of the line for him, hell of a career and I do think hes got a few gallons in the tank left

I do remember those times listening to the Canucks on the radio, the pre sportsnet days when a televised game would be a family even to gather around the tv. Back then, you'd get maybe a game televised once or maybe twice per 2 weeks, not like the almost every other day like what we have now

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, TheCustodian said:

Sat is like a worse version of Blake Price ... I'm not sure how you get more bland than Price, but there you go. But at least he's not like Andrew Walker who is a thinner, younger Dave Pratt wannabe from Toronto.

I agree 1040s entire line-up was better with Donnie and the Moj being the weak link, but they were carrying on the tradition of what made the Team 1040 great in the first place and had a big built-in listener base. If you love Donnie, you love Donnie. TSN's visiting analysts (LeBrun, Ferraro, etc.) are also light years ahead of anything they have on Sportsnet aside from Friedman.

I basically don't listen to Canucks radio anymore and stick to general sports radio. I tried 650 for a day and it remains terrible to me. Can't get past the lack of on-air talent.

Sat is a bit of a homer, a tad too optimistic on the prospects

The guy I couldn't stand was The Moj. Hes the worst radio personality. A homer and half, and was not fond of him trashing Gillis the day he was fired. Gillis was making a joke that for some odd reason Moj found offensive personally and hes gone Skip Bayless/ Aaron Rodgers on Gillis since.

Edited by filthycanuck

On 2/10/2021 at 12:38 AM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

It was a great run. I got turned to 1040 during the 2002 Olympics (Salt lake) as they were the only ones broadcasting the game in the radio. The nail on the coffin really was when they lost the Canuck rights for play by play. They were very inconsistent with their NFL coverage as half the time it would be at 1410 even if they were a business station

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Sat is a bit of a homer, a tad too optimistic on the prospects

The guy I couldn't stand was The Moj. Hes the worst radio personality. A homer and half, and was not fond of him trashing Gillis the day he was fired. Gillis was making a joke that for some odd reason Moj found offensive personally and hes gone Skip Bayless/ Aaron Rodgers on Gillis since.

Probably has to do with the fact Gillis referred to him as "The Fat One" on air.

Very classless of a rep from a pro team. imo

• Thanks 1

Just now, gurn said:

Probably has to do with the fact Gillis referred to him as "The Fat One" on air.

Very classless of a rep from a pro team. imo

Did he literally call Moj fat? I thought he said he eats all the food in the press box, which I guess by extension infers he's fat, but it could also be true.

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

"Your the fat one, right"

Bahaha I remember that. Mike: “Are you Bob?” Moj: “yeah” Mike: “weren’t you the one eating all the food in the press box?” 

Edited by Pickly