The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 has been eliminated

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Man you couldn't have said it better!!!!. Most come from youth and school progammed to believe that is the way the world works. It's tiresome and takes year of dedication and thick skin to bring them back to reality, some never make it sorry to say and end up at Strathcona Park. The PC movement I want to believe meant well but completely removed it's self from reality and has lead the unwitting in the West down a dangerous slope, it's easy for countries like China over take us. Apparently authoritarianism is the only solution, I hope not. The good part is if youngsters are hard workers, heck fill your boot the field is open for success

Good summation of my comments - thanks!  (and sorry to be so brutally honest to "The Millenials" who get bruised so easily!)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Man you couldn't have said it better!!!!. Most come from youth and school progammed to believe that is the way the world works. It's tiresome and takes year of dedication and thick skin to bring them back to reality, some never make it sorry to say and end up at Strathcona Park. The PC movement I want to believe meant well but completely removed it's self from reality and has lead the unwitting in the West down a dangerous slope, it's easy for countries like China over take us. Apparently authoritarianism is the only solution, I hope not. The good part is if youngsters are hard workers, heck fill your boot the field is open for success

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Good summation of my comments - thanks!  (and sorry to be so brutally honest to "The Millenials" who get bruised so easily!)

I’m super surprised, given both of your post histories, that you would have such similar takes on this issue…. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fred65 said:

Guaranteed Income will assure those who aren’t capable of working can have 2000/month to get by on.  Then this group will have more time to listen to 650!  Station saved!  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

I’m super surprised, given both of your post histories, that you would have such similar takes on this issue…. 

Was it Socrates or Aristotle who had the same opinion of yutes.  Or was that Joe Pesci?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

Interesting and a great example of why you never " throw the baby out with the bath water" because despite all our differences at times - we all have something in common that sooner or later can allow us to have a beer together unlike our good American neigbors who are either Republican - OR NOT - with no middle ground and why their society is going to hell in a handbasket - fast!  That's what makes canucks fans - the best!

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Interesting and a great example of why you never " throw the baby out with the bath water" because despite all our differences at times - we all have something in common that sooner or later can allow us to have a beer together unlike our good American neigbors who are either Republican - OR NOT - with no middle ground and why their society is going to hell in a handbasket - fast!  That's what makes canucks fans - the best!

Just so you know, I was being 100% sarcastic. 

• Thanks 1

Not a single so called journalist or radio show host has ever being a general manager of a NHL team. Why would you expect any great content? This is like watching financial news and none of the hosts has ever managed an investment bank or hedge fund. 

7 hours ago, kilgore said:

Here's a thought, maybe the Canucks deserved to be criticized during all the years before they lucked out with the Pettersson pick. 

The haters are out in force every year no matter how good the team is. They were there at our peak in the sedin era. Its just part of human nature. Some people want to complain and criticise, and that's just who they are.

Edited by butters
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Not a single so called journalist or radio show host has ever being a general manager of a NHL team. Why would you expect any great content? This is like watching financial news and none of the hosts has ever managed an investment bank or hedge fund. 

So only a murderer can judge a murderer, only a banker can judge finances, how do you handle your finances put it in a paper bag and give it to a fund manager. Wisdom, experience and intelligance  can over come most predicaments you need to solve. As to the sports comentators, they do hve the advantage of speaking to insiders both those for and against more so than the common Joe. Donnie with time and experience will have developed a string of inside contacts all of who have experience and knowledge

On 8/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

I hope 650 retains the rights and sticks around, it's nice having an all sports radio station.

As far as 1040 I think it going under has worked out great for Halford & Brough - now they get Canucks guests more often - and Taylor/Dhaliwal.

Feels like the most invigorated Donnie has been in years, their show is fantastic. So much better than what they were doing at 1040.

If this is Donnie invigorated, yikes. He sounds like he's bored half the time. In fact the only time I see him on the show where we see  the old Donnie, is when they let him do highlight packages. 

On 8/20/2021 at 1:18 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

Obviously you didn't get the gist of my post.  I'm definitely not a journalist therefore not a great writer, so as a result I can see why you may have perceived my post as a only seeing the positives and being a cheerleader.  However, my intent is kinda a microcosm of your post.  Right away you call the Pettersson pick a lucky one.... So that tells me you're not balanced in your view point either.  Benning is a middle of the pack GM overall and deserves some criticism for sure, but it's pure insanity when posters like you call Pettersson a lucky pick, rather than giving credit where credit is due.  What's wrong with giving criticism and praise for the same organization?  I mean is that like a bad thing?  All has to be black and white? 

As for the 650 vs 1040.  It's about the underlying energy that permeates from the station as a whole.  Where is Sekeres and Price?  Where are most of the 1040 hosts besides Donny and Dhali?  They're out of a gig because ultimately they leaned to far to the side of cynicism and that just isn't sustainable for long lasting radio personalities. 

So agree to disagree....

I'll tell you what though... I'll be having a lot more fun  enjoying this awesome team kick some ass team season while you choose to die on your hill screaming "but... But Gudbranson!!!!"

That is what you pick out from my post?  As a way to discredit my observations about two radio stations?  Okay.

IMO there is an element of luck in every pick. Not only that they will continue on the trajectory they hope and predict, or even do better than that, but that significant injuries won't happen.  But okay, Benning along with Wiesbrod, Judd Brackett and his amateur scouting staff, specifically Thomas Gradin, all deserve credit for recognizing the potential in Petey.  Its a combination of good scouting and luck.  Even for first rounders.

https://guelphstorm.com/odds-not-great-for-nhl-draft-picks

The truth is that very few players taken in the NHL draft this weekend will ever play in the NHL. In order to get an accurate read of how many drafted players played at least 200 games in the NHL, a study by proicehockey.about.com looked at the drafts between 1990 and 1999. Of the 2,600 hundred players drafted just 494 or 19% played in at least 200 contests. 63% of first round picks played but less than 25% of second round picks survived and only 12% of third rounder selections.

On 2/9/2021 at 9:32 AM, -SN- said:

Wow, this is gutting. I spent a lot of time with 1040 on in the background. These leaves one sports radio channel in Vancouver. 

That's one too many, every one of them has been a joke for the most part. 

They simply to regurgitate things they have heard as IF it's the truth without even checking and then people fall for it.. 

No sports radio would be better than the 2 bit crap sad excuse for media we have here in Vancouver.

• RoughGame 1

43 minutes ago, kilgore said:

https://guelphstorm.com/odds-not-great-for-nhl-draft-picks

The truth is that very few players taken in the NHL draft this weekend will ever play in the NHL. In order to get an accurate read of how many drafted players played at least 200 games in the NHL, a study by proicehockey.about.com looked at the drafts between 1990 and 1999. Of the 2,600 hundred players drafted just 494 or 19% played in at least 200 contests. 63% of first round picks played but less than 25% of second round picks survived and only 12% of third rounder selections.

just hope that poster actually read that information, and remember this was really in an era where few EU players were scouted so it's likely less than this now

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That's one too many, every one of them has been a joke for the most part. 

They simply to regurgitate things they have heard as IF it's the truth without even checking and then people fall for it.. 

No sports radio would be better than the 2 bit crap sad excuse for media we have here in Vancouver.

Just turn the radio off then. 

• Cheers 2

I remember listening to games, with my bro, on his ghetto blaster before Bure arrived.  Not much granted but have to say there is nothing quite like it, play by play was better then TV back then, we'd actually watch the games with zero volume and the radio on. 

Also had a pre-arranged camping trip when game 7 of 94 first round came up.   Didn't think we'd make it that far.   We did, was camping in the cowichan area at the time.   With a group of 6.   We were all glued to the radio in the RV, speakers outside, by the fire and beers hot dogs and beans in our bellies ... was just the best.   Pre-recorded the game on the VCR... Probably, the best moment i've ever had as a Canuck fan.  Didn't know it at the time but some other group was maybe 300 feet away (seemed at the time we had the entire lake just to us) ... when Bure scored it was just yelling back and forth triumphantly ... awesome stuff.   Sad that radio is no longer part of the platform. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I remember listening to games, with my bro, on his ghetto blaster before Bure arrived.  Not much granted but have to say there is nothing quite like it, play by play was better then TV back then, we'd actually watch the games with zero volume and the radio on. 

Also had a pre-arranged camping trip when game 7 of 94 first round came up.   Didn't think we'd make it that far.   We did, was camping in the cowichan area at the time.   With a group of 6.   We were all glued to the radio in the RV, speakers outside, by the fire and beers hot dogs and beans in our bellies ... was just the best.   Pre-recorded the game on the VCR... Probably, the best moment i've ever had as a Canuck fan.  Didn't know it at the time but some other group was maybe 300 feet away (seemed at the time we had the entire lake just to us) ... when Bure scored it was just yelling back and forth triumphantly ... awesome stuff.   Sad that radio is no longer part of the platform. 

Radio was awesome!  John Shorthouse explained one time that you have to describe more things on the radio because obviously people can't see what's going on like with TV.  It makes the game exciting when the announcer sounds more frantic.  

I also think the mics around the arena were cranked up more on the radio.  You could hear the sounds of the ice and crowd more than on TV.  I remember my poor dad always trying to sync up the TV to the radio (and failing to do so lol) so that we could hear the radio broadcast while watching the game.

• Like 1