The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

19 games in and Pettersson hasn't had one dominant game/period this year.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He hasn't had a dominating game. I think you missed my point. He hasn't had a game like a McDavid or Matthews. I am worried. Its great hes picked up a point here and there but he has not had one game where I was like woah he was on fire tonight. He really dominated that game. Man the complacency around here. You need your superstar to be your superstar. They aren't great stats this year if you look at other teams superstars around the league.

He isn't a superstar yet.   Of course he has the potential to be one, but by pure definition to be  superstar you need to be top one or two at most three by position year after year.   Right now that goes to McDavid, McKinnon and maybe Mathews.    Give the kid a break too, even half those posts he's hit and you wouldn't be posting this. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Boeser struggled last season. He looks like the best he's ever been since year 1 before his injuries.

Hughes struggling defensively this year.

I don't think you can warrant worrying about it long-term. These guys are young and are only gonna improve with age.

No doubt.   If the team listened to the CDC, BB would have been traded last year - how many threads were made again?  Don't know how many posts i made defending him against our new shiny toy career middle in his prime, oppurtunist TT.    Naslund was 27 or so his break out year.    At least fans come by it honestly, the Sedins were flamed so hard until Carter was here (and gone), and still get grief - even today a few posters on their "toughness" etc.  

Aside from the early 90's - and possibly ever really, have we ever had a group of young players all at once.   These guys are barely 20 and already the engine of the core.   Not usual.   Hard pressed to find a team like us - maybe CAR.   COL has McKinnon, Landeskog and Kadri, TO has Tavares.     We have Miller, career wise a decent comp with Kadri, and until recently, Williams in CAR. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

literally petey is young  and almost a ppg player  at 22 yrs old   hes getting paid next yr  anyone that thinks he signs for anything less than 7 mill is dreaming  actually id lock him up 8 yrs 9-10 mill per   pays him til hes 31  all his best yrs if we bridge him til hes 25 and he enters prime yrs dominating league  potentially  he will  be offer sheeted at 13-14 mill by 31 other teams  so better to sign him long term  let hik focus on playing hockey and putting on muscle in offseason.  Hughes is top scoring dman in nhl by 4  points  how much does burns hedman doughty karlsson get paid  hes gonna get a big paid day as well. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

Perhaps define your version of a dominating game. Has Pettersson had a season so far like McDavid or Matthews? Perhaps your expectations are too high.

Pettersson's a great player, but he's only into his 3rd season.

Why do some people call him "elite" then in CDC? Pettersson is a good maybe even a great player, but hes not rubbing elbows with McKinnon, Crosby, Matthews, McDavid, no where close. Those guys are dominant regardless of who they play with zero excuses

6 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

literally petey is young  and almost a ppg player  at 22 yrs old   hes getting paid next yr  anyone that thinks he signs for anything less than 7 mill is dreaming  actually id lock him up 8 yrs 9-10 mill per   pays him til hes 31  all his best yrs if we bridge him til hes 25 and he enters prime yrs dominating league  potentially  he will  be offer sheeted at 13-14 mill by 31 other teams  so better to sign him long term  let hik focus on playing hockey and putting on muscle in offseason.  Hughes is top scoring dman in nhl by 4  points  how much does burns hedman doughty karlsson get paid  hes gonna get a big paid day as well. 

hughes is 7th in league scoring  everyone around him is making  money on front ended deals like matthews makes 15 mill   mcdavid 12.25.    boeser making 5.8 mill and draisatl  8.5 mill is the cheapest in top 10 other than hughes. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

He isn't a superstar yet.   Of course he has the potential to be one, but by pure definition to be  superstar you need to be top one or two at most three by position year after year.   Right now that goes to McDavid, McKinnon and maybe Mathews.    Give the kid a break too, even half those posts he's hit and you wouldn't be posting this. 

No one is saying that hes not going to be a superstar, its just the bar is really low and it seems to me that the word "elite" is being thrown WAY WAY too loosely. CDCers are starting to sound like  early 2000's Leafs fans who absolutely rave on how Sundin was "elite"

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

hughes is 7th in league scoring  everyone around him is making  money on front ended deals like matthews makes 15 mill   mcdavid 12.25.    boeser making 5.8 mill and draisatl  8.5 mill is the cheapest in top 10 other than hughes. 

You know you just requoted yourself right?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

you know who else never had a dominant game. 

Markus Naslund he just kinda quietly went about his PPG play. 

Pete is fine 

LOL you kidding me? Naslund was absolutely dominant in his prime here in Vancouver. For 2, maybe even 3 years, the westcoast express basically toyed with the other team. Naslund was anything but quiet when he was on. Many nights, him and the westcoast express were the ONLY reasons why the team won. They'd win 3 - 1 and the Bert Nazzy and Mo would have 3 points each, and they did that a whole lot

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

IMO Matthews is the 2nd best player in the league. Even if EP40 scored on those posts, can you honestly say he's been dominant? No he hasn't, haven't seen it yet this year other than maybe a game or 2 against Ottawa. Whenever Matthews touches the puck, its like you're expecting he's going to do something special, and hes making it look easy. We sometimes have to be honest with ourselves that maybe we DONT have a top 5 player, maybe Petey is a top 10, top 15 player. I think a lot of fans have Petey in such a high pedestal from his first half season as a Canuck that we might be overrating him. EP40 in the bubble, compared to what he has been this season, not even remotely close. Maybe he'll get it going, good for us if he does.

On the side note, I know Miller has decent numbers, but he's no where near as good as he was last season. Theres something off about his game, missing assignments, giving the puck away a little more.

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

The problem is fans and media has way overhyped this kid. Calling him the next Gretzky, best player in canada/the league and etc... 

Reality is Petterson is tracking more like Aho, Backstrom, Kyle Connor, Gaudreau: A very good player, but not at the top of the league. 

Although with Aho and Connor, hence Pettersson as well, jurys still out. 

32 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Yeah and only played in 52 playoff games in a 16yr career and never past the second round. Just sayin'.

never really thought about that. I guess it was Naslunds fault Clouts couldn't stop a beach ball.  

missed the point anyway. 

for the most part bertuzzi and Morrison made loud noises and shook trees while Naslund snuck in for the surgical strike. he was silent and deadly. Pete is also a sneaky player he isnt going to go end to end and beat the whole other team himself hes more cerebral.

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He hasn't had a dominating game. I think you missed my point. He hasn't had a game like a McDavid or Matthews. I am worried. Its great hes picked up a point here and there but he has not had one game where I was like woah he was on fire tonight. He really dominated that game. Man the complacency around here. You need your superstar to be your superstar. They aren't great stats this year if you look at other teams superstars around the league.

This is Petey's third year.....Auston's 5th and McDavid's 6th.  McDavid had a 10 game scoring drought....happens to be the best of 'em.

How'd those superstars do in the playoffs?  Because that's the ultimate wow.  Look at those stats because they matter too.

Petey's hit a lot of crossbars and posts....don't slag him.  He'll be fine and I'll be back to remind you when he does start scoring again.  I can't take anything away from McDavid...the guy's unbelievable (but a little whiney when things aren't going his way).

Here's Petey not being dominant a few months back in the playoffs.   His brilliance is often when he's being swarmed or shadowed but still manages to navigate the puck on his stick and see plays that the untrained eye (the ones that only catch glaring, end to end rushes on TV) don't.

Players will have peaks and valleys...funny that when Petey's "off" short memories forget the parts where he's been on.

Here are some things that will continue to make Petey great:   his rather encouraging "toughness" as he takes a lot of rough stuff and holds up well (without looking at the refs and whining); the fact that he "studies" the game and doesn't just expect to be good, he works on being good (undeniable work ethic); his adaptability and the fact that he's gaining experience and learning and seems to absorb what he learns.  He doesn't have a huge ego that carries an "I'm the best" badge with him so he will continue to learn/grow/excel in this game.   But sure, kick a guy when he's a little down...could come back to bite you in the butt.  I'll be waiting for that to happen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

never really thought about that. I guess it was Naslunds fault Clouts couldn't stop a beach ball.

Cloutier was the starting goalie in only 3 of Nazzy's 12 years here. Great guy, lots of points but not a very good captain/leader and was never able to take the extra step needed to be a playoff performer.

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

LOL you kidding me? Naslund was absolutely dominant in his prime here in Vancouver. For 2, maybe even 3 years, the westcoast express basically toyed with the other team. Naslund was anything but quiet when he was on. Many nights, him and the westcoast express were the ONLY reasons why the team won. They'd win 3 - 1 and the Bert Nazzy and Mo would have 3 points each, and they did that a whole lot

So you talk about Nazzy (loved him, he was awesome like Petey) but, in the same breath talk WCE.   So that's exactly it....when you have linemates who are also "on" it makes every stand out.  They clicked...they had a big body who could go to the net.

Miller's off right now and Brock is "on"...but their timing just needs to align.

It explains more about how chemistry and timing are part of success/failure.   Petey has had to be THE guy and it brought him a whole lot of attention.  He's adjusting to that and while he isn't having the end to end rushes and is struggling a bit....he has the capacity to light this team on fire.

Looks like this season really caught a lot of our players off guard. It looks like Petey wasn't ready to hit the ground running, either was Miller after his isolation, and of course the kids Virtanen and Gaudette have looked terrible compared to last season. Then there's guys like Hoglander and Boeser who have come ready to play more than anyone else.

Unfortunately we have too many players who just weren't ready, still aren't quite ready and not into it at the moment. It might be that Petey gets it going later in the season but a third of the season is already gone.

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Why do some people call him "elite" then in CDC? Pettersson is a good maybe even a great player, but hes not rubbing elbows with McKinnon, Crosby, Matthews, McDavid, no where close. Those guys are dominant regardless of who they play with zero excuses

Probably because he has the potential to be elite. It doesn't mean he gets there right away. Remember that this is the same CDC that can't even handle a 20 game bad stretch of a season without quickly forgetting about the prior playoffs.

CDC see good, they have bloated expectations. CDC see bad, it's the end of the world and we need to destroy everything. ;)

• Cheers 1