The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, Dogcrazy said:

Coach Green himself does not even have that swagger in him, and his team is exactly like what he is.  Accepts moral victories, and keeps telling his guys that the other team over there is a good team..lol

Participation trophy mentality 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It feels like this year is just snowballing on us.

We came in with high expectations after the play in.. lost some key players in the offseason, had a tough schedule, got pumped by some former teammates and we haven’t fully recovered.  

The playoffs being a long shot now has everyone extra tense and coaches seem extra quick the ride the top guys into the ground.  

I usually cringe at the armchair coaching analysis but I can’t help but think we’d likely be a lot more successful to forget the standings and adopt a one-game-at-a-time approach from the top down (if it’s even possible.). 

I think that's what they're doing.

As you say the pressure is mounting, and I think it's getting to them. They aren't playing loose, they're trying to force things, and then when they are starting to roll there's these backbreaking bounces in games.

I like the way they are playing right now, but things still just aren't going right & they are in this huge hole.

Feels like it's just caving in on em this year.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Mac Gaud and Virt have combined for 4 point this year. That should definitely not be underestimated.

Not here to defend Green but Guad and JV put up pretty good numbers last year. Also grew Boesers all around game. Not to mention the immediate success of Hughes and Petey. Seen a lot of other high draft picks struggle out of the gate around the league year in and year out. Not to mention giving Hogz the keys to a technically defence first line. One thing Green has done very well is help develop young players. Cry and whine about Mac’s ice time (I’d personally like to see more) but it’s evident he’s not a complete moron people make him out to be. Just can’t stand the constant picking at everything there possibly is to pick at. It’s probably time for a new coach but I suspect Green will be back somewhere within the league 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

i get the sense that the team is closer than what we are seeing right now.   When I mean closer, I mean closer in terms of being a really good team for a while.  Bring in Podz, draft another top tier d man with their first pick, get  OJ, Hughes, EP, BB, Hogs, Demko more experience this year, and give a guy like big Mac third line minutes. Even though we look like we have stepped back to 2015 I think this team is on the cusp whereas those bad teams were years away.

The ED with Mac and the lottery machines' tendency to give us a pick no higher than fifth are just some of my concerns with your points but I agree with your overall message..

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

except guddy cant provide offense to anyone  hes leading league dman by 5 points 

yep no disagreement there.

But his bad defense is outweighing his offense. For QH to truly be an elite player and not just another glorified keith yandle or barrie, he has to be able to handle second pairing minutes at ES. 

He did in today’s game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think that's what they're doing.

As you say the pressure is mounting, and I think it's getting to them. They aren't playing loose, they're trying to force things, and then when they are starting to roll there's these backbreaking bounces in games.

I like the way they are playing right now, but things still just aren't going right & they are in this huge hole.

Feels like it's just caving in on em this year.

Yeah it seems to had started with JBs' off season moves struggling in our lineup: Holtby and Schmidt 

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

For me its his tendency to shorten the bench ..

As much as I wish we were the VGK, we aren’t. We don’t have the depth to roll 4 lines. The season has become a larger version of being down in a must win hockey game. We are in a hole and Travis is coaching to win games. I’m sure that if we start putting some wins together and creating momentum, the ice time will be distributed accordingly. Mac is the only real exception in my opinion. I think he has played well enough to earn more ice time but he just doesn’t have the line mates to insulate  him. Gaud has actually been one of the biggest disappointments for me this season. He looks like a chicken with his head cut off most of the time. His hair looks like his game. 

• Cheers 2

Much respect to Zack Mackewan for answering the bell and clearly beating the jet dman who bullied Hoglander!   He has earned a legit shot to dress and play the 4th line much more than Travis has played him.

Gaudettes a failed experiment ,can not win a draw,can not hit an ocean to score and he and Rouselle wasting roster spots on a nightly basis.

Holtby looked subpar on winning ot/ and Sheiffle goal had Demko been in net sadly we likely took 2 points tonight after starting 2-0

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Benning used to wasting monies on Erikson/Beagle/Roussel, should actually buck up and pay for Henrique from waiver wire with Ducks at leaset he can score 26goals last yr.

Sutter/Mott keepers on bottom6 but so should Zack and even Virtanen over Roussel/Gaudette

• Haha 1

Have I been on hard the Canucks over the years, yes! I am a die hard Canuck fan and will be long after I am dead, told the GF to bury me with my jerseys...

To come into a GDT time after time and hear you all whine and bitch like you could back check harder in OT, or you could make that save etc etc is comical!!! None of you are remotely close to NHL caliber hence why we all hide behind a screen! Players are tired, they make mistakes but is it their fault the coach shortens the bench and wears them out knowing what this seasons schedule is like!? Nope, 100% on the coach.

It has been obvious this entire season, the coaches can't coach this team anymore...yet they are still here. Benching players for an entire period or giving them 2 shifts is just wrong, they are in the NHL...play them! 

Instead, we play the same guys and tire them out...in a shortened season with less time off and more games close together than almost any other season in league history...

Time for some changes, it's only Money Francesco...

4 minutes ago, Harold27k said:

Benning used to wasting monies on Erikson/Beagle/Roussel, should actually buck up and pay for Henrique from waiver wire with Ducks at leaset he can score 26goals last yr.

Sutter/Mott keepers on bottom6 but so should Zack and even Virtanen over Roussel/Gaudette

Cause we had nearly 6m in cap space for multiple years to take that chance on right!?