The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

8 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

My guess is they wait the season out. Benning is moved to a scouting role. New GM fires Green, Baumer and Brown. New coaching staff is brought in to take the young core to the next level. It's what's needed.

They don’t need to be fired. They just stop getting paid at the end of the year. Contracts up

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Cause we had nearly 6m in cap space for multiple years to take that chance on right!?

only way id take on henrique salary  for 4 yrs is if they took eriksson and roussel  and restained  2 mill  so he only makes 3.8   condition that before trade goes through pearson gets traded to leafs or oilers or habs for highest bidder 2nd rounder  we could retain half cap on rest of yr. Seattle might take henrique  at exspansion at 3.8  or we could trade him at 2.8 salary easily retainng 1 milll  leave myers open for seattle 

henrique petey 8 yrs 10 mill hoglander 

miller horvat boeser 

virtanen lowry 2yr 2.75  podkolzin

motte beags macewen 

juolevi 3 yrs 2.25 per schmidt

hughes  7 yr 9.5 tryamkin 3 yr 3.5 

edler 1 yr 2 mill hamonic 1yr 2.0 

demko 3 yr 4.25 

holtby 

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Sutter was a beast tonight. Roussel also had a good game. your record is skipping.

sorry when u make 3 mill a yr and have 1 goal 2 assists in 21 games with 29 mins in interference penalties and 4.25 mill with 6 goals zero assists in 22 games  and negative 3    your not earning your pay   especially when 3 goals were in one game team needs bottom six to score and not be negative  sutter took a lazy penallty cost us a goal in third lucky we tied it up on pp finally 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

sorry when u make 3 mill a yr and have 1 goal 2 assists in 21 games with 29 mins in interference penalties and 4.25 mill with 6 goals zero assists in 22 games  and negative 3    your not earning your pay   especially when 3 goals were in one game team needs bottom six to score and not be negative  sutter took a lazy penallty cost us a goal in third lucky we tied it up on pp finally 

theres   a reason   we will fall into bottom 3-5 teams when games evened up 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Rouss has been disappointing, I won't bother debating that. But Sutter is more than his offense, and should be valued as such. He drew a penalty at the end of the game, not his fault our powerplay was flat most of the night. Him and Rouss were racing around the Jets offensive zone on the PK, had a helluva shift. There were multiple instances where I noticed him being a factor the offensive zone, all while getting few offensive zone starts and winning most of his draws. Dude eats PK minutes, and our PK's been good of late. 

Yes, he's overpaid by a bit but if he were making Rouss's 3m instead of 4.3 you'd hear few complaints. All this Sutter bashing is getting old. Rouss has been a disappointment, Sutter's been a useful piece this season. If it were a regular season six goals every 22 games would put him on roughly an 18-22 goal pace. 

Most of our players have pros and cons, upsides and downsides, when it comes to Sutter it seems some favor nitpicking the negatives while ignoring the pros. 

ya if their salaries were 1 mill and 2.5 mill id be ok with it but 7.25 mill for 9 combined points   in 43 combined games played has bad optics   i like sutter  at a 1/3 of his salary  

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jake has killed himself by being complacent & not taking his opportunities seriously.

So tired of blaming others for Jake.

Horvat started on the 4th line playing limited minutes, dedicated himself, & worked his way up. Never once did he come to camp out of shape.

Brock, Petey, Quinn same thing - never took it for granted.

Even Gaudette & MacEwen pushed the issue & earned their spot.

Nope, agree to disagree, his leash was much shorter. 

Guess Dubois wasn't kidding when he said he's never been more ready for a game. But Holtby should have saved some of those. 

We are now 3rd last in the league in point percentage. I say we just keep Green and tank for a good pick.

This is not really the season for a new coach to implement his system. Trade some of our bottom 6 for draft picks.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Do you honestly think Green is telling him NOT to use his size & speed?

Do u think the coaches are telling him to do fly bys?

Do you think they are telling him NOT to drive to the net? Like they want him to flip a weak backhand wide instead?

He doesnt use his skills, he's never been a PWF.

Edit: Your 100% right on Edler though. They need to workout a cheap 1 year deal, and he can help foster Juolevi along.

Not verbally but when he does hit and gets a penalty or plays aggressive, he gets benched, so I don't know

2 hours ago, Convincing John said:

As much as I wish we were the VGK, we aren’t. We don’t have the depth to roll 4 lines. The season has become a larger version of being down in a must win hockey game. We are in a hole and Travis is coaching to win games. I’m sure that if we start putting some wins together and creating momentum, the ice time will be distributed accordingly. Mac is the only real exception in my opinion. I think he has played well enough to earn more ice time but he just doesn’t have the line mates to insulate  him. Gaud has actually been one of the biggest disappointments for me this season. He looks like a chicken with his head cut off most of the time. His hair looks like his game. 

Great points.  I am aware that the talent is not comparable but in the beginning most of there talent was also considered cast offs but they were still rolling (or emphasizing) to roll four lines (based on my observatiions) and (imo) it seemed that all the players in the team were very engaged & not prone to committing gaffes attributted to overplaying or not being engage as much due to the shortening of the bench this staff has a tendency of doing.  

I never mentioned talent at all cause my only point is that if a staff makes it a priority to roll four lines then all the dressed players will be more engaged, builts a better team enviroment and perhaps JB can adjust the way he builds the roster (instead of it being too top heavy) - imo...

I agree that Mac should be playing more and I theorize that the reason his minutes are being limited is perhaps due to the Expansion Draft (?); also agree, that Green is coaching to win for a long term gig here or else where...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

It's his 6th season as a pro. He had 18 goals last year in an incomplete season - and the opportunity necessary to score 18.

5 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

Not verbally but when he does hit and gets a penalty or plays aggressive, he gets benched, so I don't know

I don't know that he has been, was he benched everytime he took a penalty last year? (When he was playing well)

My thing is it's been years of this, he's had opportunities. We can agree to disagree.

30 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

his leash is shorter coz his work ethic is trash? how long of a leash do u want for a plyer that wants to try once in a blue moon? those guys give 100% effort every night till they earned a regular spot. i've yet to seen jake give 100% for more than 1-2 games and then disappear again in his 5 years in the NHL

27 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Guess Dubois wasn't kidding when he said he's never been more ready for a game. But Holtby should have saved some of those. 

We are now 3rd last in the league in point percentage. I say we just keep Green and tank for a good pick.

This is not really the season for a new coach to implement his system. Trade some of our bottom 6 for draft picks.

Yeah, Holtby let in some softies tonight but great effort overall !

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

only way id take on henrique salary  for 4 yrs is if they took eriksson and roussel  and restained  2 mill  so he only makes 3.8   condition that before trade goes through pearson gets traded to leafs or oilers or habs for highest bidder 2nd rounder  we could retain half cap on rest of yr. Seattle might take henrique  at exspansion at 3.8  or we could trade him at 2.8 salary easily retainng 1 milll  leave myers open for seattle 

henrique petey 8 yrs 10 mill hoglander 

miller horvat boeser 

virtanen lowry 2yr 2.75  podkolzin

motte beags macewen 

juolevi 3 yrs 2.25 per schmidt

hughes  7 yr 9.5 tryamkin 3 yr 3.5 

edler 1 yr 2 mill hamonic 1yr 2.0 

demko 3 yr 4.25 

holtby 

Henrique is a mediocre player which we have enough, no thanks. No more mediocre players that cant score please. I just want the management to sign podkolzin and Tryamkin and get rid of the dead weight. Maybe trade Virtanen for Bennett who can hit unlike Virtanen.