The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

In the real world, and you have a welder whose welds all crack, you replace the welder. If the plumber’s joints all leak, you replace the plumber. If the electrician electrocutes himself, you find a replacement. Only in the imaginary world of government is failure rewarded with raises and promotions and no danger of losing your job. In the hockey business, when you fail, you’re fired and ownership finds someone else. If the owner fails so badly he goes broke, that bank appoints a receiver and he finds new management.

When you are being paid millions it’s a little harsher than when your greatest act of failure is consistently burning the burgers and fries.

That's all you needed to say.

Another loss - What happened to this team this year? I know they lost some key players but falling to 2nd or 3rd last in the entire league is surprising to me. I do not question their "intent to try" but playing till last September and then being advised in December to play early January (with the most number of games to date) did not help. They just seem to be "off" a little the whole year and chasing, and chasing. This is a young team with strong core (3 consecutive calder nominees) - you don't lose all that success overnight. I hope this "mini" break gives them a re-focus as they have played so many games.

Hopefully, they can string something up to at least make it a season. I do see them bouncing back next year IF they get a more refined defensive system, balance schedule and they should be very hungry from the start if this year is a washout.  

One thing I do wish TG and NB will do is tweak their systems a bit - seem to be trying the same thing over and over. GLTA

• Cheers 1

Question for ya CDC.

What's the difference between the Canucks and the Senators?

Look at the records.

Canucks 8-14-2 68gf/85ga -17

Sens 7-14-1 58gf/85ga -27

Almost identical records.

They play the same 5 other teams. (6 if you include each other)

The rosters are vastly different. So how can they be so similar?

Things that make you go hmmmm on a hockey-less Friday night. ;) 

14 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Hughes is only more offensively talented. Ehrhoff is 6'2" 210 and would hit guys, block shots and clear the net in addition to QBing the PP and putting up points. Ehrhoff was an all around better dman than Quinn by quite a margin. Quinn might develop into a more defensive player but I don't see him laying hits etc the way Ehrhoff did.

Hughes will be similar to Karlsson and even Coffey, but with a little bit more jam.  Coffey won 3 Norris Trophies, Karlsson won two.  Ehrhoff did not win any.  I would take a Coffey or Karlsson in their primes any day over Ehrhoff.

Ehrhoff may have been a more well rounded Dman than Hughes is or will be but Hughes has the potential to be a really special player.  

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes will be similar to Karlsson and even Coffey, but with a little bit more jam.  Coffey won 3 Norris Trophies, Karlsson won two.  Ehrhoff did not win any.  I would take a Coffey or Karlsson in their primes any day over Ehrhoff.

Ehrhoff may have been a more well rounded Dman than Hughes is or will be but Hughes has the potential to be a really special player.  

Cant believe youre trying to compare Hughes to Coffey.  

Even Karlsson defensively had always been solid while being dominant offensively. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This might be one of the most purely talented teams in Canucks history. We’ve never had a legit #1 and #2 C along with a legit #1 D and also a 30 goal winger all in the team at the same time. Not even the 1994, 2003 or 2011 teams had all these players. 

Our problem right now isn’t the top end of the roster, which is the hardest part to accumulate as you basically have to acquire top end players through the draft. Our problem is the bottom 6 forwards and big aggressive defensive Dmen who can support Hughes, Sochmidt and Juolevi. We even have a young #1 goalie. 

This team needs some roster tweaks and a new coaching staff who can get the best out of our top talent. A legit 3C, a partner for Hughes and another solid Dman and winger will go a long way to make us a legit playoff team. 

On what planet is Hughes a legit 1 d? 

Petey is playing like a 2 right now.  Boeser is the softest player in the league.

Youre vastly overrating our talent.  

1994, 2003 and 2011 all had more talent.

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Cant believe youre trying to compare Hughes to Coffey.  

Even Karlsson defensively had always been solid while being dominant offensively. 

Why not?  Coffey was a point a game guy in his second season.  So is Hughes.  Hughes could peak at over 100 points.  Karlsson wasn't great defensively when he first started out.  Hughes will get better in the D zone as he matures.  He has some feistiness to his game as well.  He's gonna be a beauty.  Norris Trophy winner for sure when he hits his prime.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You don't know what Hughes will be, that's your speculation.

Everybody in the world would take Coffey and Karlsson over Ehrhoff. You just randomly pulling in 2 of the greatest dmen of all time and saying they are better than Ehrhoff and comparing them to Hughes makes no sense. Why not mention Orr and Lidstrom? Bourque and Niedermayer?

Just now, GritGrinder said:

You don't know what Hughes will be, that's your speculation.

Everybody in the world would take Coffey and Karlsson over Ehrhoff. You just randomly pulling in 2 of the greatest dmen of all time and saying they are better than Ehrhoff and comparing them to Hughes makes no sense. Why not mention Orr and Lidstrom? Bourque and Niedermayer?

Yes, that's why I said he has the "potential" to be.  I never said he currently is a Karlsson or Coffey.  He may never be, but he is going to be a special player.  A Norris Trophy winner for sure.  Ehrhoff was a very good Dman, a #2 for sure.  But Hughes has much more potential to be a really special player.  

It's easy to get down on our current star players because of our record.  Once we turn this ship around our guys will look much better.  They will look like the superstars they have the potential to be once we start to play better hockey.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, that's why I said he has the "potential" to be.  I never said he currently is a Karlsson or Coffey.  He may never be, but he is going to be a special player.  A Norris Trophy winner for sure.  Ehrhoff was a very good Dman, a #2 for sure.  But Hughes has much more potential to be a really special player.  

It's easy to get down on our current star players because of our record.  Once we turn this ship around our guys will look much better.  They will look like the superstars they have the potential to be once we start to play better hockey.

The leagues going to give a dman too weak to play the PK a Norris trophy?  

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

hughes putting up leetch housely number first 2 yrs if he wants to up his  defense up a notch and win a few cups if he wants to be compared to lidstrom niedermayer and coffey  but thats all possible 

Ray Bourque's like wtf?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

On what planet is Hughes a legit 1 d? 

Petey is playing like a 2 right now.  Boeser is the softest player in the league.

Youre vastly overrating our talent.  

1994, 2003 and 2011 all had more talent.

Those teams you listed were mature teams. This years iteration of the Canucks is still very much in the maturing process, but imo, much more talented than those teams, with great young talent still coming in like Hog and Podkolzin. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why not?  Coffey was a point a game guy in his second season.  So is Hughes.  Hughes could peak at over 100 points.  Karlsson wasn't great defensively when he first started out.  Hughes will get better in the D zone as he matures.  He has some feistiness to his game as well.  He's gonna be a beauty.  Norris Trophy winner for sure when he hits his prime.

This will be my last tidbit on the Hughes/Karlsson comparison

Quinn this season age 21:

Currently on pace for 7g 65a 72 pts -37 47blks 17hits over 82 games

CF 51.9% FF 50% PDO 96.8  68.1%oZone starts 31.9% dZone starts

Erik Karlsson 2011-12 age 21:

81gp 19g 59a 78pts +16 65blks 60hits

CF 55.1% FF 54.% PDO 100.9  57% oZone starts 43% dZone starts

Norris trophy winner.

Same age and Karlsson was considerably more defensively responsible than Quinn.

Nobody is saying Quinn isn't a huge talent but lets not overstate what he hasn't done yet and compare him to some of the greats. Its not fair to him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Boeser, Petterson, Hughes, all in the running for Calders in their rookie years.  But yeah, crap roster, lol  whatever. Our top end talent is a NHL caliber coaches wet dream. We just don't have a coaching staff capable of utilizing a system that complements their playing style. Instead Green insists on this grind it out style of chip and chase combined with a passive 5 man box defense. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Every other coach in the leauge has figured us out and how to beat us yet Green sees no problems and plans to change nothing. Hell, even the commentary on SN and CBC publicly identifies our weaknesses every night yet Green continues to get up on the podium and talk about how well we played. The guy is completely clueless. 

Is he that bad? Who would be better to replace Green at this point?