The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Meghan & Harry & Oprah

UnkNuk

Okay, I'll admit it.  I shouldn't have been interested in this interview but I was.  The trials and tribulations of the 1%ers can grab my attention.

Two main takeaways - Meghan was suicidal and someone in the Firm (or whatever they call the Royal Family establishment) was concerned about the skin colour of Meghan's baby and that may have had something to do with the decision not to designate the child a Prince.

In regards to the latter story, I thought it was unfortunate that the two would not name names.  As it stands, the statement smears the entire Royal Family when maybe it was just some underling in the supporting cast around them.

Anyone else watch it or should this thread just vanish into the archives?

I sincerely thought COVID-19 would bring the death of celebrity culture as a whole -- the Imagine singalong fiasco, for example, surely highlighted the tremendous gulf that exists between  these class structures in a comical yet painful way, NO? Instead, celebrity worship has managed to reverse the public sensibility and utilize victim culture for self preservation. Meghan has now duped the public into thinking she's a victim of the Royal family. Are we 'AVIN A LAFF? She literally married into a family with a gene pool with less depth than her acting career and she's talking about racism? Did she not have Google before, or even after, the Ginger Fuhrer rode in on his clydesdale? 

This reminds me of Paris Hilton recently trying to cancel Letterman because he -- gasp -- made fun of her back in the day. Celebrities and (kill me) influencers want to eat the juiciest fruit but go into an absolute meltdown when you see the juice dripping down their chins.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

36 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I sincerely thought COVID-19 would bring the death of celebrity culture as a whole -- the Imagine singalong fiasco, for example, surely highlighted the tremendous gulf that exists between  these class structures in a comical yet painful way, NO? Instead, celebrity worship has managed to reverse the public sensibility and utilize victim culture for self preservation. Meghan has now duped the public into thinking she's a victim of the Royal family. Are we 'AVIN A LAFF? She literally married into a family with a gene pool with less depth than her acting career and she's talking about racism? Did she not have Google before, or even after, the Ginger Fuhrer rode in on his clydesdale? 

This reminds me of Paris Hilton recently trying to cancel Letterman because he -- gasp -- made fun of her back in the day. Celebrities and (kill me) influencers want to eat the juiciest fruit but go into an absolute meltdown when you see the juice dripping down their chins.

You've heard about Diana, right?

"Duped"?   I think maybe you've been duped by lumping all "celebrities" into one category and judging based on that.  

You assign "celebrity" to a human being and label according.... but really she's just a person who fell in love and now has a child....she doesn't want to become another "victim".  I think you're maybe missing the point here.   They're actually wanting to back away from celebrity culture...as it poses very real threat and danger to their family.  I guess you have to be a parent to understand that....nothing in the world is more important.

Someone who is trying to reach out because "she doesn't want to live anymore" is worth listening to.  I feel like you're jaded and are missing the very real narrative here - desperation isn't fun.   Royals or not...these two felt desperate.  Abandoned.  Isolated.  Celebrity status doesn't make people immune to those things.

You don't always "pick" who  you fall for in this life...sometimes it just happens and you try your best to navigate the waters that come with that but no one has to stand for bad treatment.  She's not a victim because a victim would stay stuck and quiet.  It takes courage to do what they've done and I applaud them.   No one has to live under those conditions...and I'd trade it all in too if that was the price that came with the title.

"Making fun of" is a little different than racist death threats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Duped"?    You assign "celebrity" to a human being but she's a person who fell in love and now has a child....she doesn't want to become another "victim".  I think you're maybe missing the point here. 

Yes, I have heard of Diana. The question should be did Meghan hear about Diana before she signed to join the Royal Reich?

I don't think there's anything wrong with assigning "celebrity" to a specific class of human beings. Classes exist, and we (mis)treat each other based on those classes all day long. At what point do we stop caring about Meghan's PR machine and instead chop her up and feed her to the poor?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Yes, I have heard of Diana. The question should be did Meghan hear about Diana before she signed to join the Royal Reich?

I don't think there's anything wrong with assigning "celebrity" to a specific class of human beings. Classes exist, and we (mis)treat each other based on those classes all day long. At what point do we stop caring about Meghan's PR machine and instead chop her up and feed her to the poor?

There are a lot of good "celebrities" out there.   This sounds more like a jealous stance than a reasonable one.  Why so much hatred?

Not going to bother so don't bother.  It's your issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

People need to just leave this young family alone. Society seems to love nothing more than to build people up to only take great glee in tearing them down again. Surely there are more important things for people to be concerned about than what Harry, Meghan and family choose to do with their lives. They have every right to renounce the royal life and live their lives out of the fishbowl. Will society not be happy until they've destroyed them much as they did Harry's mother? Sad...just bloody sad that people have nothing better to do than tear people down just because of the colour of their skin, their birthright or the temerity of some who marry into the royal family.

Could not agree more.

Also when are people going to let go of outdated institutions like the monarchy.

The only queen's I have respect for just celebrated their Mardi Gras on the weekend.

As I stated to my partner it was so cool to see people celebrate who they are with such joy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

There are a lot of good "celebrities" out there.   This sounds more like a jealous stance than a reasonable one.  Why so much hatred?

Coming soon to a theatre near you... 

Sean Penn and Meghan Markle are... THE UNITED NATIONS!

As for the personal question,  I attribute my hatred to a lack of sex in my formative years and indoctrination from Moz

He was right about everything back then, wasn't he?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Coming soon to a theatre near you... 

Sean Penn and Meghan Markle are... THE UNITED NATIONS!

As for the personal question,  I attribute my hatred to a lack of sex in my formative years and indoctrination from Moz

He was right about everything back then, wasn't he?

I wish I could post the link to the pistols god save the queen in response,however I am a dumbass when it comes to posting links from my phone.

Haven't seen the interview, but followed the saga between the firm on one side and Meghan&Harry at the other side in the media. Based on this I think the members of the firm are deeply disappointed by Meghan's decision not to stick to the firm but live her life without her royal duties. The ties are cut between Meghan& Harry and the firm. What I don't get is that they still fight each other.

On a side note I would like to mention that you folks have heard only Meghan's and Harry's version. To make a fair assessment of the situation I would really want to hear the perspective of the members of the firm, too.

Finally I got the impression that Meghan & Harry are restless and might don't have a clear understanding how they want to live their lives. I give you an example: First both moved from UK to Canada , if I remember correctly and then to California. Both didn't like the way of living in California and the media reported  that they would like to move again to Australia. Meghan tried to initiate some charitable projects in L.A. but failed miserably.

Both still haven't found the way they want to live their lives... Given the age of both that's a tragedy.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Duped"?   I think maybe you've been duped by lumping all "celebrities" into one category and judging based on that.  

You assign "celebrity" to a human being and label according.... but really she's just a person who fell in love and now has a child....she doesn't want to become another "victim".  I think you're maybe missing the point here.   They're actually wanting to back away from celebrity culture...as it poses very real threat and danger to their family.  I guess you have to be a parent to understand that....nothing in the world is more important.

Someone who is trying to reach out because "she doesn't want to live anymore" is worth listening to.  I feel like you're jaded and are missing the very real narrative here - desperation isn't fun.   Royals or not...these two felt desperate.  Abandoned.  Isolated.  Celebrity status doesn't make people immune to those things.

You don't always "pick" who  you fall for in this life...sometimes it just happens and you try your best to navigate the waters that come with that but no one has to stand for bad treatment.  She's not a victim because a victim would stay stuck and quiet.  It takes courage to do what they've done and I applaud them.   No one has to live under those conditions...and I'd trade it all in too if that was the price that came with the title.

"Making fun of" is a little different than racist death threats.

Well said Deb

I honestly did not know how to respond to Glassjaw, and still do not.

All, I can say, is this world still has a ways to go......very disappointing

But luckily, there are good people who remind me of the good in the world

It is a shame that it bigotry and prejudice still exists

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Haven't seen the interview, but followed the saga between the firm on one side and Meghan&Harry at the other side in the media. Based on this I think the members of the firm are deeply disappointed by Meghan's decision not to stick to the firm but live her life without her royal duties. The ties are cut between Meghan& Harry and the firm. What I don't get is that they still fight each other.

On a side note I would like to mention that you folks have heard only Meghan's and Harry's version. To make a fair assessment of the situation I would really want to hear the perspective of the members of the firm, too.

Finally I got the impression that Meghan & Harry are restless and might don't have a clear understanding how they want to live their lives. I give you an example: First both moved from UK to Canada , if I remember correctly and then to California. Both didn't like the way of living in California and the media reported  that they would like to move again to Australia. Meghan tried to initiate some charitable projects in L.A. but failed miserably.

Both still haven't found the way they want to live their lives... Given the age of both that's a tragedy.

Why do people have to use jingoistic terms such as "the firm".

They are a family of made up of rich self entitled people.

Their ancestors lived off the back of people who

they described as peasants.

Expected those same "peasants" to die in pointless wars for king/queen and country.

Jeebus even young Aussies were motivated to die in pointless conflicts in their name at one time.

If they had any decency they would fade into history.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1