The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | March 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, CBC, NHLN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Okay, nothin better to do on a Sunday.  For all the Coiler fans. 

TWdY9GB.jpg

OMG THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME

I like how there’s absolutely no one in the club lol

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m proud of the way the team hung in there after a poor start. Whipping boys Sutter, Myers and Jake all had strong games. Benn was decent as well. Holding the McDavid line to one measly goal was awesome,

Thatcher played lights out and deserved first star.

I don’t understand all the sniveling about the team being overly reliant on getting solid goaltending. Last time I looked, the goalie is a member of the team and he plays 60 minutes. Why is it a bad thing to get great goaltending?

Other teams also get it. I hear that the guy in aTB is okay, the Panthers have decent goaltending, and on it goes.

Yet if the Canucks get great goaltending, the cry is, they couldn’t have done anything without their goalie. sure the team got of to a crappy start and is facing an uphill battle to climb back up the standings. The team has been playing better lately (5 wins out of last 7 games). I’m just happy that dimjim understands the importance of having strong goaltending.

There is nothing wrong about having great goaltending but there is something wrong with allowing the 2nd most shots per game in the league.  The reason Demko has to be great is that there are too many high percentage scoring chances and too many shots against per game.  This is a similar trend to last season where Marky was called upon to save our bacon.  

Looking at NHL.com, we have the second most shots against per game (33.4 shots against/game) of all the teams in the league.  Second only to Chicago.  Unless we can reverse that trend, we will never be a true Cup contender.  We need one or two more good defensive defencemen and better defensive play from the forwards before we take the next step.  Last season was just an aberration (we were lucky we advanced as far as we did). 

Anyway, I'm a long time Canucks fan and I will support them regardless and I sure hope this version of the Canucks takes the next step (maybe in a year or two?).

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Sutter has that calm, weary look on his face like a parent dealing with a whining toddler.

Connor was a little tuckered so he just put him down for a little nappy poo.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Hopefully  true. Olli played 18 and 45 the last two years because of injuries so it couldn’t be helped. This year looks to be another year of stunted development at this rate. That’s on the Canucks this time.

Yeah, it mostly falls on Green (imo) cause the game day roster & deployment is dependent on the Staff.

• Cheers 1

I get it may not be the prettiest way to win but I dont get why we look at it any other way. Last time I checked the goalie wears a jersey and is a part of our team. Edmonton had the option to draft goaltenders, they just chose a different route. Benning grabs a goalie almost every draft, it's a part of his plan. It's not like he stumbled upon this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

You and 2288 must be buddies? Or girlfriends 

Sure glad you 2 are not running the team like you run your mouths off. Negative nellies,  please bitch and complain for a DIFFERENT team.

Good lord, we win a hard fought game with a depleted line-up against a hot team and you 2 keep playing the same broken record. You and 2288 are just crappy canucks fans and should be fired

Go Canucks go 

Sarcasm detector malfunction?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sockeye said:

There is nothing wrong about having great goaltending but there is something wrong with allowing the 2nd most shots per game in the league.  The reason Demko has to be great is that there are too many high percentage scoring chances and too many shots against per game.  This is a similar trend to last season where Marky was called upon to save our bacon.  

Looking at NHL.com, we have the second most shots against per game (33.4 shots against/game) of all the teams in the league.  Second only to Chicago.  Unless we can reverse that trend, we will never be a true Cup contender.  We need one or two more good defensive defencemen and better defensive play from the forwards before we take the next step.  Last season was just an aberration (we were lucky we advanced as far as we did). 

Anyway, I'm a long time Canucks fan and I will support them regardless and I sure hope this version of the Canucks takes the next step (maybe in a year or two?).

Good points but (perhaps) before doing any more significant signing or trades, a more prudent decision would had been to try this roster with a different coaching staff (?).  At this point, the decision maker(s) seems to be content in letting Green finish the season out; perhaps it is due to not having any confident with any of the assistants being ready/competent to take the (interim or longterm) coaching duties unlike, the Habs with Ducharme.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I agree - I think that was one of the better nights of the season for Horvat and Pearson.    All three of that line relatively broke even on the possession game.  But interestingly, they didn't really handle McDavid's line as much as perceived.    They were at 57 and 62% ozone starts...

McDavid and Draisaitl had 16 ozone starts last night - Horvat and Pearson only 6 and 5 dzone respectively - a bit surprising given the absence of Beagle.  Which leaves double digit dzone starts - with Draivid on the ice - for the Sutter and Miller lines to deal with.

Sutter wound up with 14 dzone starts last night (only Edler had more, at 16 - and he too was outstanding - as was Schmidt imo) - and Miller stepped up as well, with a dozen.   Normally that top line would hover closer to 70% ozone starts...

I thought Sutter had a great game last night.  He played over 20 minutes - the hardest minutes on the team (17.6% ozone starts) - gave up nothing - and won 67% of his faceoffs in the process.

I heard stories in the GDT about the fourth line looking better without Beagle - "creating scoring chances", etc - but to be real - Gaudette did not have a shot attempt, MacEwen did not have a shot attempt, LE had one....Gaudette and LE had the worst 'possession' numbers on the team (22 and 14% corsi) - and did not play the hardest minutes.  Green had to effectively hide that line for the most part - but managed to - and for me, that was one of the more impressive aspects of that win - that they did it largely with three lines, and with Miller's minutes divided into dual duty.    Somewhat like the playoffs - when Miller was hobbled, Sutter wasn't 100% - and they had to 'hard reduce' - last night was a prototypical shutdown effort while the lines were pieced together (with arguably 4 taxi squad guys in the forward group).  

Great job by Green imo.

Sutter played 3 minutes vs Draisaitl and 3:30 vs McDavid at 5v5.  He played 5:40 vs RNH and 4:40 vs Haas.  It’s the Horvat line that drew the McDavid matchup with 12:30 against Draisaitl/McDavid at 5v5.   Miller played more than Sutter vs McDavid/Draisaitl with 5:40 (some overlap with Sutter).  Natural Stat Trick has the numbers - the NHL has given them access to the data they track in the arena.

It’s also visible on the shift charts where you can see who is on the ice at the same time.  If you hover over the bars you can see when the different shifts start and end.  They don’t mark special teams but can figure it out by players on the ice.  Can select the view to be by period at the bottom for better visibility.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/shiftcharts?id=2020020440

The face off comparison also shows that Sutter had 9 face off vs Draisaitl (as many as Horvat) but none vs McDavid while Horvat took 7. 

6 of the 9 face-offs vs Draisaitl were on the PK so only 3 at 5v5.  The other 12 he took at 5v5 were not against McDavid/Draisaitl.

Face-offs by strength and zone:  http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20202021/FS020440.HTM

Face-off matchup:  http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20202021/FC020440.HTM

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I don’t understand all the sniveling about the team being overly reliant on getting solid goaltending.

Because there's really no precedence in the NHL for a team that relies as heavily on godlike goaltending like we do reaching the ultimate success.

Even Hasek couldn't get it done, and he's the unquestionable GOAT.

You don't have to apologize for having a good goalie, like you said he's part of the team and no team wins without good goaltending. But this team generally does not win unless the goalie steals the game.

Edited by kanucks25

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Because there's really no precedence in the NHL for a team that relies as heavily on godlike goaltending like we do reaching the ultimate success.

Even Hasek couldn't get it done, and he's the unquestionable GOAT.

You don't have to apologize for having a good goalie, he's part of the team and no team wins without good goaltending. But this team generally does not win unless the goalie steals the game.

Terry Sawchuk, Martin Brodeur and Pat Roy>>Hasek 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Terry Sawchuk, Martin Brodeur and Pat Roy>>Hasek 

Not sure about Sawchuk cause I ve never seen him play but the one characteristic that Brodeur, Roy (I would add Fuhr as well) and others like them had, is that they had that killer instinct based on their situational awareness - they made the right saves at the right time.  Imo, Brodeur & Roy are the best cause they did it for a long time and Demmer seems to have some of this trait as part of his mentality cause (just) based on my untrained observation, once he knows he is #1 he seems to just focus on playing his game....

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would say coaching definitely helped in Brodeurs wins but yes they needed him to basically stop everything.

Good point cause that trap system that the Devils' employed made for some very boring hockey but it got them cups...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

1993 Canadiens say "hello"

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, sockeye said:

How about looking beyond the top 2 spots on that list? Not that far behind (#5 spot) is Winnipeg Jets with 31.7 shots against/game, who is one of the top two teams in our division and currently 8th overall in the league standings. This year's Cinderella story, Florida Panthers (2nd overall in league standings) is in 9th place with 31.1. Just pointing out that any stat can be turned around to support whichever narrative you need.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, RomanP said:

1993 Canadiens say "hello"

Almost 30 years ago and when the game was completely different.

But, I should backtrack and change my words from "no precedence" to "very little and probably no relevant or recent precedence".

If you want to build your team around hoping for a once in a generation type miracle performance, good luck.

11 minutes ago, RomanP said:

How about looking beyond the top 2 spots on that list? Not that far behind (#5 spot) is Winnipeg Jets with 31.7 shots against/game, who is one of the top two teams in our division and currently 8th overall in the league standings. This year's Cinderella story, Florida Panthers (2nd overall in league standings) is in 9th place with 31.1. Just pointing out that any stat can be turned around to support whichever narrative you need.

Great points and context perhaps should matter - competition strength (in case, of the Panthers cause I have not followed there division at all & they have a well paid Bobrovsky as there goalie) and the current trajectory of the team at the point cause Hockey seems to be a sport that is affected by luck due to the puck being shot at a hight velocity towards a target with multiple obstacles on the way - so anything can happen along the way that can affect the direction of the puck. 

Imo, right now the Jets are playing very well & things are bouncing there way alot (based on my bias point of view as Canuck fan) and as soon as the tide switches, that hight shot total will (perhaps) start leading to more goals.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Almost 30 years ago and when the game was completely different.

But, I should backtrack and change my words from "no precedence" to "very little and probably no relevant or recent precedence".

If you want to build your team around hoping for a once in a generation type miracle performance, good luck.

Well, we have the goalie. I don’t think that anyone is suggesting that build is finished. In the meantime if Demmer steals us a bunch of games I’m a pretty happy camper.

• Cheers 1