The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jake Gardiner

2 more years for Gardiner at a $4.05M cap.  Have to imagine that the Canes will hope that he's a player the Kraken would take.

I remember reading somewhere about the Canes having expansion draft problems since I believe Jake Bean needs protection.  I can't see them exposing Bean yet they have to protect Slavvin, Pesce, Gardiner and Skjei.  I assume they're fine with exposing Skjei and Gardiner.  This means though that they'll need to let Dougie Hamiton hit UFA.

26 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

2 more years for Gardiner at a $4.05M cap.  Have to imagine that the Canes will hope that he's a player the Kraken would take.

I remember reading somewhere about the Canes having expansion draft problems since I believe Jake Bean needs protection.  I can't see them exposing Bean yet they have to protect Slavvin, Pesce, Gardiner and Skjei.  I assume they're fine with exposing Skjei and Gardiner.  This means though that they'll need to let Dougie Hamiton hit UFA.

I was hoping the Canucks would target Bean and with the expansion draft coming up they still could. Carolina has Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, Skjie, Bean and Fleury whom all need protection.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I was hoping the Canucks would target Bean and with the expansion draft coming up they still could. Carolina has Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, Skjie, Bean and Fleury whom all need protection.

Forgot about Fleury.

I can't see them moving Bean since none of the other D must be protected.  Worth kicking the tires on, but given their roster situation, my guess is they would either want a 1st round pick for Bean or a blue chip prospect who doesn't require protection with likely some additional piece.  I guess one possibility is to try and swap Rathbone+ for Bean but not sure that makes sense for the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Forgot about Fleury.

I can't see them moving Bean since none of the other D must be protected.  Worth kicking the tires on, but given their roster situation, my guess is they would either want a 1st round pick for Bean or a blue chip prospect who doesn't require protection with likely some additional piece.  I guess one possibility is to try and swap Rathbone+ for Bean but not sure that makes sense for the Canucks.

I think Fleury they’ve come to terms with what he is. A viable bottom pairing dman that can give you 15-17 solid minutes. I don’t think they’d be too upset if he was the guy taken in the expansion draft. Bean on the other hand is cheap and still has potential to be an offensive top 4 dman in this league. If the Canucks found themselves as sellers this year and got more picks I wouldn’t mind multiple picks like a 2nd and a 3rd for Bean. Management like Myers a lot more than fans so I’m not sure they actually want to add another dman to protect anyway. Right now we have Juolevi, Schmidt and Myers all of which I think management is high on so we’d be acquiring only to leave a guy exposed that they like.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I've heard theories that they might expose Myers just because of how big his contract is and how many years still remain; they might use that as a disincentive for Seattle to poach him, then we protect Olli, Schmidt and the 3rd guy acquired.

I would do this for sure. I’m hoping that’s the case because for 6 mill you’d want a little more than what Myers can give you. So if he’s picked I do think you can replace some of what Myers gave you with a cheaper body. Heck maybe that could be Tryamkin.

• Cheers 1

Remember people wanting to replace Edler with this pylon.  Surprised it took this long for them, although they should have sent him to the AHL where he's belonged for his entire career.  Carolina got a lot better by making sure this liability won't be wasting any more icetime.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Remember people wanting to replace Edler with this pylon.  Surprised it took this long for them to send him to the AHL where he should have been his entire career.

They are only sending him to the taxi squad.  He’s injured and they want to bank cap space until he can play again.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

They are only sending him to the taxi squad.  He’s injured and they want to bank cap space until he can play again.

Yeah, I edited; my point still stands.  Gardiner is worse than useless and getting rid of him is addition via subtraction.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I've heard theories that they might expose Myers just because of how big his contract is and how many years still remain; they might use that as a disincentive for Seattle to poach him, then we protect Olli, Schmidt and the 3rd guy acquired.

This makes a lot of sense. We lose 6M off the cap, and get a little more flexibility in who we protect. I seriously doubt that Seattle would take him anyway. If I was the Seattle GM, looking at our roster and trying to figure out who to grab, I'd probably go after Lind or Gaudette. Both young, some room still to improve and not much of a cap hit. I think Holtby was signed to be able to have a goalie exposed, and maybe an asset we could afford to lose.

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, I edited; my point still stands.  Gardiner is worse than useless and getting rid of him is addition via subtraction.

so here's the question, would you rather have Loui or Gardiner? 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

holy $&!# you really hate Gardiner :lol:

Yep, not a a fan of any defenseman who is too stupid or too lazy to play like an NHLer in their own zone.  Gardiner is absolute trash and would have been in the AHL years ago if he wasn't in Toronto, where they don't care how bad you are defensively. 

• Upvote 1