The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid's nasty elbow

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal was up 3-0 and they had shut down McDavid. So McCrybaby took out his frustrations on Kotkaniemi 

McCrybabay was just protecting himself from KotKovidmeenie

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

The one part of this I really don't like is that the maximum is not done as a percentage of the player's salary.  $5K to McDavid is a much smaller hit than $5K to someone making the league minimum.  I know the penalty is baked into the CBA, but they should base it on the league minimum salary and then prorate it upwards for those that make more.

McDavid's salary this year is $14M, so the $5K penalty, adjusted would be $100K.

or $1.12 for you and me

4 hours ago, Dirtman said:

Yeah, I was laughing about the "roughing" call too. Couldn't have been a more obvious elbow. 

I was reading a reddit thread and someone mentioned that for someone making 100K a year, that's $40. I'll pay $40 to elbow some coworkers. 

that would be $40 and 2 minutes in the bathroom stall

Listening to the talking heads on NHL network today make excuses for McDavid was disgusting.  “Oh.he puts up with a lot of abuse.  He was frustrated. He’s never done that sort of thing before”.  (When in fact he has been suspended for an illegal hit to the head in 2019). 

It was a dirty, late, intentional play where he targeted the head.  He got off with less than a slap on the wrist.  

• Cheers 2

On 3/31/2021 at 4:29 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

McDoucheface made a dangerous decision and the league showed their preferential punishment scale. One of Jesperi's teammates, oh I don't know....maybe Shea Weber, should flatten McDingleberries in the corner and send him to the quiet room as a lesson. 

That might still happen...

• Vintage 1

All i will say is two minutes for elbowing was the right call.   Hockey fans that have been around long enough should understand this.   90% of the league would be suspended pre-cap with the rules nowadays.  Howe would get half his points.   Same with Richard for that matter.   

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All i will say is two minutes for elbowing was the right call.   Hockey fans that have been around long enough should understand this.   90% of the league would be suspended pre-cap with the rules nowadays.  Howe would get half his points.   Same with Richard for that matter.   

The problem is that if McDiver had been the recipient, Kotkaniemi would have gotten suspended.  Given the NHL just had to fire a problem ref with a long history of match fixing who had been caught red-handed, this isn't the right time to give preferential treatment to crybabies who keep throwing tantrums when they're checked tightly.  The NHL has a serious issue with integrity and it needs to be addressed.

22 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

meh, no big deal...

Yep.   The fact it was too many vowels was a bonus.   Man hockey is razor close to becoming women's hockey or 80's-90's all-star game stuff already.   Not a thread worthy discussion other from that exact point.    Howe elbowed guys, Messier elbowed guys, so did a ton of other guys, took their two minutes and that was it.    About as ridiculous as half of Wilson's suspensions.  Hockey is supposed to be rough.   McDavid elbowed someone at it makes the news (for real like whoopie).   Move on nothing to see here. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

The problem is that if McDiver had been the recipient, Kotkaniemi would have gotten suspended.  Given the NHL just had to fire a problem ref with a long history of match fixing who had been caught red-handed, this isn't the right time to give preferential treatment to crybabies who keep throwing tantrums when they're checked tightly.  The NHL has a serious issue with integrity and it needs to be addressed.

That's a problem too, no argument or debate there. 

20 hours ago, the grinder said:

a "predartory " hit and repeat offender should be at least  2 games . another bush league  call 

LOL.   It's just an elbow to the head.  With a handle like grinder, you'd think this wouldn't bother you. 

Edited by IBatch

On 3/31/2021 at 10:50 AM, Provost said:

Meh... a little dislike in games is good.   Did anyone (on our side) get worked up when Bure took out Churla?

That is the best part of the new schedule... sometimes teams are getting really annoyed with each other after playing a few games in a row.

When we go back to normal divisional play, I hope they keep the baseball style series where we play 2-4 games in a row against an opponent.

Nice to see another rational post.   This isn't figure skating after all.   Not yet anyways. 

• Cheers 1