The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark must be a priority

Rate this topic

smokes

After Demko signing for 5 years, the Canucks need to lock up Ian Clark. He is by far the best goaltending coach the Canucks have had. If Benning can't keep him then I just give up. Bennign has just let too many good people go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, kacholu said:

Idk guys. I think he is asking for autonomy and wants to take credit for Demko's success. 

We all know it's all JB who should be praised for goalie development. 

Don't count on him being back 

I would consider Benning to be the worst GM since Keenan if Clark does not come back.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • RoughGame 2

59 minutes ago, smokes said:

I would consider Benning to be the worst GM since Keenan if Clark does not come back.

I've been making posts here calling for Clark to be signed asap for a long time....

But it's not entirely Bennings choice. Maybe Clark wanted to see Demko signed long term .. he wants a stud to work with and ges got one in Demmer. 

Or maybe Clark wants to go to Florida and coach Bobs back to a Vezina. 

I think he re signs here.  Hes got a great kid in Demko to turn into a superstar signed long term. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I've been making posts here calling for Clark to be signed asap for a long time....

But it's not entirely Bennings choice. Maybe Clark wanted to see Demko signed long term .. he wants a stud to work with and ges got one in Demmer. 

I think he re signs here.  Hes got a great kid in Demko to turn into a superstar signed long term. 

My worry is that Ian Clark doesn't resign because Benning isn't exactly great at retaining good people. Benning drove out Malholtra, Brackett, Linden. Stories of him not being a good communicator. There are lots of things that make me think Clark would not stay because Benning is not the best guy to work for.

Nail on

Just now, smokes said:

My worry is that Ian Clark doesn't resign because Benning isn't exactly great at retaining good people. Benning drove out Malholtra, Brackett, Linden. Stories of him not being a good communicator. There are lots of things that make me think Clark would not stay because Benning is not the best guy to work for.

Such a bad guy to work for that both of the bolded guys grew professionally enough under his watch to take on more responsibility in their new roles.  Goalies are usually a little eccentric anyway, so it's hard to tell what's going through Clark's mind.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

Ya I'm not to mad about Linden. He was just brought in to change the image of the team. More a marketing thing than hockey thing. Canucks were the most hated team in the NHL by other fan bases and also the other teams and players. 

Linder did his part and left at a good time.. 

But JB lost 2 very good staff members in Gillman and Brackett. I think its more to do with his sidekick John Weisbroad. He's a dimwit....

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

brackett and linden showed themselves the door, made demands and were let go.

francisco fired linden not benning, linden was bennings boss.

as for maholtra, who cares. we have beagle to help with faceoffs.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Or maybe he's got his eyes on another franchise with a promising prospect that he'd like to take a stab at. Like a guy with shattered confidence but clearly has the tools to get better.

Like Carter Hart.

Or somebody unknown. I'd find it difficult to imagine he wouldn't get offered a deal, but he might just want a new/different challenge somewhere else regardless of what is on the table. Some people live for the challenge because they're set 'enough' by whatever they get... it won't be "poor house" money anyway.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, brownky said:

Or maybe he's got his eyes on another franchise with a promising prospect that he'd like to take a stab at. Like a guy with shattered confidence but clearly has the tools to get better.

Like Carter Hart.

Or somebody unknown. I'd find it difficult to imagine he wouldn't get offered a deal, but he might just want a new/different challenge somewhere else regardless of what is on the table. Some people live for the challenge because they're set 'enough' by whatever they get... it won't be "poor house" money anyway.

I dont know. He spent 7 yrs here. Left for several yrs and came back. He's gotta like the city and the fact he has a great, young, big game goalie in Demko. That's gotta be enticing.

Allaire had Patrick Roy  Hasek had Mitch Korn. 

The way Demko looked under pressure having to come in for an injured Marky in last year's playoffs. That was an amazing performance. He's been playing great again this season albeit a slow start. 

On top of all that we have a great young group of talent on D and especially at forward.  

I dont think Clark should want to leave this situation. We'll find out. Thats what makes sports fun.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, smokes said:

Malholtra got a promotion with the leafs that he ain't gonna get this season. How is that driving someone out?

Brackett made demands that were unrealistic for a GM from a scouting background, he made his own bed on that one.

Linden was fired or resigned with Aqua being his boss, not really on JB there. I actually would be more impressed with someone driving their boss out.

Gilman was fired under Linden's watch.

So really the only one that you can argue JB drove out was Brackett.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, smokes said:

What makes you think it's not?

Because Aquilini is the boss, and I bet he's the reason Clark hasn't signed yet. Benning is the one that brought Clark in and he seems to like him. I bet if it was up to Benning, Clark would already be re-signed.

• Like 1