The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Players deleting Social media

FaninMex

I was just reading about how Gaudette's wife took to social media to defend her husband from attacks for getting Covid. It also occurred while many sports stars have been complaining about an increase in abuse and negativity. This has lead many to delete their accounts.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51561987

"

Football players are starting to reject social media because of the stress it can cause, according to the Professional Footballers' Association.

The number of players accessing the PFA's counselling services rose to a record 643 in 2019, up almost 50% on the previous year.

PFA director of player welfare Michael Bennett said social media meant there was "no escape from football".

"I've spoken to players who've deleted their accounts," he told BBC Sport.

"That's just because of the barrage they get.

"You think about it, some of these players have 50, 60, 100,000 followers, and if you're getting negative feedback from a large proportion of those individuals, it's going to affect you."

I have often claimed that social media is horrible and responsible for more negativity than good. After watching Social Dilemma and hearing about this increase, it is concerning where it is leading people next.

What do you all think? 

• Cheers 4

too many bandwagoner's jumping on the first plausible thing regardless of facts, i get blamed for it myself (although i usually put hours of research into my factless rants, and IMO more likely correct than not)

I believe alot of us are guilty of it, the difference between most of us is that we won't attack the individual or parties involved directly.  i wouldn't attack the individual or party regardless of facts, it's not my job to do so. 

I will continue voicing my opinion on open forums like reddit,facebook,twitter and even cdc. if I can change the view of just one person with each rant it's worth my time.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of a shame, but totally understandable. Twitter gave a platform for celebrities to expose their personal sides more to the world and the world seems to have gone and messed with it. Same reason why you can't find Bo Horvat's facebook account or whatever. There's a reason people keep their personal lives fairly private. Too many a-holes out there who just like to ruin people's day.

and then you think of Evander Kane showing off "ALL THAT PERSONALITY"

and you wonder how did this go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

It's so sad that this happens.  Even here, with people who target/attack others in a vile way....it's a wake up call for everyone to consider that their actions really do impact others.  Hurtful, malicious and, especially, hateful comments and actions.  When people are suffering from a virus?  The ultimate low....not the right time/place.

We all love fun and games...gifs, etc.  It's a fine line and I'm trying to be more aware of things I post that could impact others negatively.  As a trash talking homer, I've crossed many lines in the past but aim to be better.

She seems so sweet/nice and it's sad that people attack like that.  Women really can become easier targets for coward keyboard warriors who view us as weaker/more vulnerable.  It says more about them than us.  

I love that players and their families open up to us and it's sad that the bad apples ruin all that.  They should be the ones deleting their accounts.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

too many bandwagoner's jumping on the first plausible thing regardless of facts, i get blamed for it myself (although i usually put hours of research into my factless rants, and IMO more likely correct than not)

I believe alot of us are guilty of it, the difference between most of us is that we won't attack the individual or parties involved directly.  i wouldn't attack the individual or party regardless of facts, it's not my job to do so. 

I will continue voicing my opinion on open forums like reddit,facebook,twitter and even cdc. if I can change the view of just one person with each rant it's worth my time.

We have to teach you to use your time better!!!:P

• Haha 1

not surprised. there are so many people out there that are looking to make a name for themselves on social media and if they can do that by attacking a celebrity they will jump at the chance. if I were famous I would have zero social media presence, hell i'm not famous and have zero social media presence anyways.

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

not surprised. there are so many people out there that are looking to make a name for themselves on social media and if they can do that by attacking a celebrity they will jump at the chance. if I were famous I would have zero social media presence, hell i'm not famous and have zero social media presence anyways.

you are here

Its okay, players aren't missing much from social media anyways.

Focus on spending time with family, friends, and loved ones. Be present with those who you're with, they are much more worth your while, not the projections of lives people want you to see in an app.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

yes, but you dont know who I am

that is true

but if posters start slinging mud at you it would still hurt

the thing is the stars don't know the people that they need to delete

and we don't really know the stars either... some of us just think we do

For verification of why, See Adam Gaudette and his wife(?)'s twitter accounts.  He's been absolutely destroyed due to the covid thing.

Like ruthlessly

Honestly i feel as though if you're in public life, it's best to just go under a pseudonym or fake name if you want any sort of social media life because wtf....

• Cheers 1

If they were smart they wouldn't use their own name :ph34r:, but it's not rocket science anymore social media is a cancer, people will say anything and if that stuff gets under your skin then social media isn't for you, so they shouldn't have it, but if they still choose to have it well that's their own choice now imo they should know by now.

Luongo had the right idea unfortunately. It was all but confirmed, but it wasn't confirmed. If I were an athlete I wouldn't have an instagram, and I wouldn't use twitter much. 

It's great for the athletes who can hack it, who want to engage, build their brand, or lend support to causes. But it ain't for everyone, and that's fine. 

People put those in the public eye on pedestals, and people enjoy trying to drag those individuals down. 

59 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For verification of why, See Adam Gaudette and his wife(?)'s twitter accounts.  He's been absolutely destroyed due to the covid thing.

Like ruthlessly

Honestly i feel as though if you're in public life, it's best to just go under a pseudonym or fake name if you want any sort of social media life because wtf....

by who though? a bunch of loser weasel trolls? why do we give them so much power? 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Luongo had the right idea unfortunately. It was all but confirmed, but it wasn't confirmed. If I were an athlete I wouldn't have an instagram, and I wouldn't use twitter much. 

It's great for the athletes who can hack it, who want to engage, build their brand, or lend support to causes. But it ain't for everyone, and that's fine. 

People put those in the public eye on pedestals, and people enjoy trying to drag those individuals down. 

the part I don't get is why anyone cares what some twitter troll thinks or says. Why give them so much weight and attention? 

Un-moderated social media is a toilet. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think I posted something here previously - social media in and of itself is neither bad nor good, but it sure as hell amplifies and intensifies human nature - both the best and the worst of it.

Good for those professional athletes for being able to step away from it, it's definitely got potential to distract and affect a player's performance, human that they are. 

Part of it is amplifying human nature, but part of it is having created a tool that allows a very small portion of society to have an outsized soap box to throw #$@# from.  Then what typically happens is other people tag on, and go straight into the whole mob mentality thing which just further amplifies the issue.

Meanwhile, the billionaires who created these platforms are laughing all the way to the bank, as this constant engagement (negative, positive, they don't give two #$%s) just drives more advertising revenue to them.  

Couple that with algorithms that typically favour the worst kind of eye catching, click bait crap out there, and now you've created this environment that really skews what popular opinion is, and what the world actually looks like.  A LOT of people can't distinguish reality from social media, it's a huge problem.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1