The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

21 minutes ago, hammertime said:

whats the point of drafting well if you road block their chances to earn a roster spot.

If they earn a spot and prove they can outplay someone older, then you make room for them. If they can't, they spend more time in the minors until they can.

Too many people are used to just having things handed to them, it builds complacency.

Make them push and show that they are ready, and keep the older players looking over their shoulders at who's pushing them.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Hold on, we have to protect him at the expansion draft? 

At what? The expense of Jake, Gaudette, Motte or Macewan? 

His salary and term is long enough that he didn't need protection... Wtf? 

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Is this true ?

Nope, it's a NTC, not a NMC.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just checking back in to see if the fan over reaction to this contract is still going on...looks like it is, I'll circle back later and see if sanity has been restored ;)

pretty funny really

many of us wanted him traded for assetts like other teams theat are rebuilding would

but you think if you for sniff some roses for a couple of hours 

all of us who did not want him signed at all will suddenly realize "Oh golly gee, I am sure happy about that signing now"

and you are the one talking down at us about sanity??????

Oh wait, It happenned, suddenly, just now a light has been turned on...

I love this signing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

Just now, lmm said:

pretty funny really

many of us wanted him traded for assets like other teams that are rebuilding would

all of us who did not want him signed at all will suddenly realize "Oh golly gee, I am sure happy about that signing now"

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

pretty funny really

many of us wanted him traded for assetts like other teams theat are rebuilding would

Glad I could help!

Ohhh, and, you're welcome!

Edited by VegasCanuck

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to not sign this deal + get rid of Virtanen and use that combined cap, for example, for a legit 2W for Bo? Perhaps one that's actually good at passing which he's pretty much never had. Or use that money or a legit top-4 D which this team still lacks and has no means of replacing internally as of now. Or keep all the money to keep your options open.

Lind or even Jasek at 3C? You do realize C depth and overall defensive ability at center is a weak point of ours right?

The more you dig into our roster and all the different options and possibilities in the off-season, the less sense it makes to commit to this contract at this point. It's less about the contract itself but more its opportunity cost.

Pearson can play several roles. He has chemistry with Bo offensively and defensively. Podkolzin could be that 2W that you're talking about at a fraction of the cost (also an excellent passer), but instead of pencilling him in and having Bo take on two young wingers, this allows Podkolzin earn his spot if he can take it and Pearson is just fine on a 3rd line role as well.

Lind and Jasek have shown quite well in Utica at center. We constantly hear about how we need to give young players a chance and then the idea gets crapped on. If they aren't ready, a stop gap in Soderberg for example should suffice.

I mean we could target someone in UFA, but that could also end up with the second coming of Eriksson. It doesn't always work. We know Pearson works well with Bo and we know he can cover many roles which is well worth his cap hit. He isn't a "bargain", but this isn't crippling by any means.

• Cheers 1