The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

that seems like the way it needs to go. That 3 and 4 C's tho.... yikes. 

Makes me wonder if Jim already has a deal in place to move Loui, because we really needed Pearson's salary to land a good 3C. 

Hghes and Petey will get much less than anticipated, they'll lose a contract to Seattle and replace it with Podz on the cheap, Lind will likely get a spot on the cheap, Edler will sign cheap etc etc.  I'd bet Roussel is gone too

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

I’ve said this several times before. Everyone is all pumped about this new found cap space we are going to have in 2 years. Haha, it’s going to get used up before we even get there. We will never have cap space. As long as Jim Benning is the GM of the Canucks we will always be in cap trouble. This is right on par with all his other horrific contracts. So bitterly disappointing. 

You've only got 386 posts, you'll get better.  Dont be so down on yourself

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So Benning re-signed a player that actual had interest around the league (=valuable player) and that's apparently a demonstration of non-savvy GMing.

How many 3.25 million players are regular 20+ goal scorers? He's currently the 186th highest paid forward which puts him at the bottom end of a top 6 player, which seems right in line of what he is.

Might need to re-evaluate the expectation versus reality.

No room for reality here... this is CDC

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Hghes and Petey will get much less than anticipated, they'll lose a contract to Seattle and replace it with Podz on the cheap, Lind will likely get a spot on the cheap, Edler will sign cheap etc etc.  I'd bet Roussel is gone too

I was really hoping we'd take a run at Lowry. I'd much rather have him at 4.5 than Pearson at 3.25. 

I guess we'll see. I'm not hair on fire over it, just think its 500k too much and a year too long, and takes away other UFA options. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we need a 3C more tho. Where does that $ come from? 

Even if you like the Pearson deal, that nixed an upgrade on a more important position, imo anyway. 

Pearson Bo Virtanen - does the heavy lifting of a 200 ft game

Petey Miller Boes - O1

Hog Gaud Podz - O2

Motte Boyd Mac - Energy

two of Hawryluk, Lind, Bailey, Beagle

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was really hoping we'd take a run at Lowry. I'd much rather have him at 4.5 than Pearson at 3.25. 

I guess we'll see. I'm not hair on fire over it, just think its 500k too much and a year too long, and takes away other UFA options. 

Lowry is an enticing player. Has good hands and is big like truck. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Would be very surprised if expansion creates cap space.  Ownership there says analytics is not just a department but a way of life.  They say they want to be a team that knows how to evaluate players.  In their GM search they’ve evaluated contract efficiency of his former signings.  Would expect them to take a prospect for their farm team.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we need a 3C more tho. Where does that $ come from? 

Even if you like the Pearson deal, that nixed an upgrade on a more important position, imo anyway. 

I think that was always more likely coming via trade. Which would mean cap in = cap out.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Pearson Bo Virtanen - does the heavy lifting of a 200 ft game

Petey Miller Boes - O1

Hog Gaud Podz - O2

Motte Boyd Mac - Energy

two of Hawryluk, Lind, Bailey, Beagle

AG and Boyd as our 3 and 4 Cs scares me, thats not a recipe to win a lot of tough matchups. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I haven’t given up hope on Lowry yet but this does complicate things. I guess we’ll have to wait and see if another shoe drops.

• Cheers 3

Just now, 4petesake said:

I haven’t given up hope on Lowry yet but this does complicate things. I guess we’ll have to wait and see if another shoe drops.

maybe the plan is to go full Tampa and bring on more LTIR? 

Just now, stawns said:

You've only got 386 posts, you'll get better.  Dont be so down on yourself

I’ve been around a lot longer than my post count suggests. I’m surprised nobody has figured out who I am yet. Anyway. It’s people like yourself that will literally go with anything Benning does to get upvotes that makes CDC extra special.

In 2 or 3 years you’ll be telling everyone to relax because Pearson will be off the books soon anyway as benning simultaneously strokes his pen to lock up another redundant forward who “skates well” who “knows how to be a pro” for 3 years. 

Ya, you’ll be all chill, collecting upvotes and flexing your big time post count and legendary reputation from years of being the voice of reason when Benning pulls out his pen. As soon as you saw this signing, you probably walked into a phone booth, changed from Clark Kent to Superman and logged onto CDC. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

AG and Boyd as our 3 and 4 Cs scares me, thats not a recipe to win a lot of tough matchups. 

They wouldn't play tough matchups much,  Bo's line is going to be the shutdown line, we know that for sure.  Gaud's line would get primatily ozone starts

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Horvat Pearson take on the toughest matchups with the Pettersson line.  The Canucks bottom 6 are really sheltered from matchups and are caught between not scoring all that much despite facing weaker competition and not being trusted all that much defensively.

• Vintage 1

This isn’t that bad, he gets one more full season protected with us, and submits a 7 team no trade list in 22-23, after that he can go anywhere..    these past 2 co-vid seasons are off the charts IMO.

11 points in 33 games this season.

I think he is an asset for stability next season, and possibly returns one in 22-23.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

They wouldn't play tough matchups much,  Bo's line is going to be the shutdown line, we know that for sure.  Gaud's line would get primatily ozone starts

We're probably more likely to go with rookies Lind and Jasek than Gaudette and Boyd at C :P

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Horvat Pearson take on the toughest matchups with the Pettersson line.  The Canucks bottom 6 are really sheltered from matchups and are caught between not scoring all that much despite facing weaker competition and not being trusted all that much defensively.

I think Gaud with Hog and Podz will be sheltered, but I also think they'll contribute.  People just need to erase this year from their minds instead of using it as the standard.