The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Coming Back or No?

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's never changed his Instagram. Always posted that pic of him in his Canuck uni.

His forte is clearing the crease, and a game like last night Toronto crashing the crease at every chance. We need his particular set of skills.

For all the ridicule he gets on here it's going to be fun to see him prove his detractors wrong.

Yeah he’ll bring a whole lot of what we need. 

Bring in a few more guys like him on the bottom 6 and maybe another D and we can match up with most physical teams and probably be able to outplay the lesser physical ones in that regard. 

Need a solid and consistent fighter too. I hate Ferland being done. If someone was messing with Hughes/Petey I would want Ferland/Tryamkin/couple more guys breathing down his neck. It is what it is though. Need to find another Ferland-type/level. Maybe Mac or Gadjo take another step in development though. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

He was pushing to come back this year. The Canucks had 0 cap room and with the covid mess there was no room. They will either get a deal with the Canucks or push for a trade.

The KHL cap is 1.5 US...for sure IF he could have come back, we'd have made room for him if we wanted him back. 

40 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Shots Fired!

"Is he a top four D in the NHL?"  "NOO noo, he's not.   Why shoot yourself in the foot when other opportunities will arise? NOo no no ".      Make a lot of Tree guys sad to listen to this. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

"Is he a top four D in the NHL?"  "NOO noo, he's not.   Why shoot yourself in the foot when other opportunities will arise? NOo no no ".      Make a lot of Tree guys sad to listen to this. 

He is a lot better than OJ. The more I see this kid the more I realize that his mobility is a major concern. He is a six, seven at best. 

If they really want Tryamkin moving forward then waiting a year gets through the expansion draft.

39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Breaking - Tryamkin signed for 4 years at $6million per year at the end of the interview!

Took Button a second to realize Donny was pulling his leg

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah he’ll bring a whole lot of what we need. 

Bring in a few more guys like him on the bottom 6 and maybe another D and we can match up with most physical teams and probably be able to outplay the lesser physical ones in that regard. 

Need a solid and consistent fighter too. I hate Ferland being done. If someone was messing with Hughes/Petey I would want Ferland/Tryamkin/couple more guys breathing down his neck. It is what it is though. Need to find another Ferland-type/level. Maybe Mac or Gadjo take another step in development though. 

Yea but i hope his wife stays in Russia

Todd Diamond, Tryamkin's agent on his return to NHL

"He wants to get things going, he wants to spend a good chunk of the summer before training camp in Vancouver and work with the Canucks staff to be ready to hit the ground running.”

https://thecanuckway.com/2021/04/20/canucks-nikita-tryamkins-agent-believes-hes-a-top-4-nhl-defenceman/

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

If Benning lets him go to another team for some scrub or a 6th rounder... without at least trying him it will be a final nail in his management coffin.

According to you that already happened by not signing Markstrom and trading Demko away for scraps because is the ED, not keeping Tanev and of course a certain portions beloved love affair for 20ish games of career middle six TT.   You've got lots of nails but they are mostly ending up in your own fingers. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, appleboy said:

He is a lot better than OJ. The more I see this kid the more I realize that his mobility is a major concern. He is a six, seven at best. 

If they really want Tryamkin moving forward then waiting a year gets through the expansion draft.

Mobility is one of his strengths lol.   He's more "mobile" then both Hedman and AP.   He's extremely agile and a smooth skater.  Watch him closer i guess.   He's no QHs, but neither is anyone else and all these guys bring different things to the table.   Last night wasn't his best game, maybe his worst actually, and his worst was still better then a lot of Chatters early games this year.    Not many D's join the league and rush up the depth chart, it's way too early to just say "he's a 6 maybe a 7th at best".    As far as tree goes, well Button thinks it's a terrible mistake to waste a spot on him, and better to wait for a good opportunity.     Seems like both sides want him in camp to see what he can do, i trust the staff will make a decision on where to use him if at all, and fully expect IF gets a contract, he will start at 6/7th.   A Zack MxEwen like spare.   KHL is a lot different then the NHL, and he's almost a UFA.    See a one year show me deal and that's it.  

Edit:  Suppose it's an unfair advantage.   I've watched OJ live a couple of times in the AHL, makes those guys look like they have concrete in their boots, his edge work an backwards skating is elite.   OJ's floor is a third pairing NHL D and always has been.   That hasn't changed.    Is he top four?   Don't know.   But good third pairing that can move up is for sure a possibility still.   No reason not to rule that out after a handful of games.   Be surprised if he's not protected.   If that's the case then JB would have the same viewpoint as you do on OJ...don't implode if that happens. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

As much as people rag on the media.... Button is one of the top talent evaluators out there.  He is consistently better than almost everyone else in his draft lists.

His rationale of waiting is the exact rationale I expressed about the Pearson signing.  It was the opportunity cost for that money, and that we don’t know what sort of Nate Schmidt types of opportunities could fall our way.

At the sane time, I disagree with Button and I think we should sign Tryamkin.

The reasoning is:

1.  There was no deadline and compelling reason to lock up Pearson when we did.  He is under contract until June 31st and can’t sign with someone else.  Wait until after the expansion draft and regular draft dealings have all taken place.  If nothing better falls our way for that money, then sure sign Pearson.  He is a decent complementary player.

2.  There is a deadline with Tryamkin.  He needs to get a paycheque next season, and if we aren’t offering him one he has to sign in the KHL just like last season.  We can’t just hold on to see if something better comes our way.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

3.  The opportunity cost is much smaller.  We wouldn’t be signing Tryamkin to top 4 money.  It is going to be in the $2 million range give or take a little.  That is 3rd pairing/depth D pricing and you aren’t going to find a “difference maker” with that money.  

4.  With Pearson, there was an opportunity to flip him for an asset which could then be used as currency to create more opportunity, and not cost it.  If we got a 2nd for Pearson we could have used that to move Virtanen or Beagle as an example.  That would mean the freed up salary from not signing Pearson and moving other cap becomes around $5.5-6 million.  That can get you a different maker in this economic reality... heck that could get you a difference maker like Palat AND another asset as a sweetener to do it.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

As much as people rag on the media.... Button is one of the top talent evaluators out there.  He is consistently better than almost everyone else in his draft lists.

His rationale of waiting is the exact rationale I expressed about the Pearson signing.  It was the opportunity cost for that money, and that we don’t know what sort of Nate Schmidt types of opportunities could fall our way.

Button has been great at predicting talent for the last 6 to 7 drafts for sure. His GM history tho is not so great, so I'm not sure I trust him on his opinion on Nik or timing of important decisions.

I don't think Nik's deal is going to be large enough that it prevents some sort of Schmidt-like deal falling into our laps again. I'm also not convinced that there are going to be many of those, teams aren't going to panic like they did with the Vegas draft.

We already got our top 4 d for a bag of magic beans from Vegas, I just don't see lightning striking twice. 

I'd be looking to lock Nik up for something with term, ideally 3 years. 

Agree with all of this below. 

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

At the sane time, I disagree with Button and I think we should sign Tryamkin.

The reasoning is:

1.  There was no deadline and compelling reason to lock up Pearson when we did.  He is under contract until June 31st and can’t sign with someone else.  Wait until after the expansion draft and regular draft dealings have all taken place.  If nothing better falls our way for that money, then sure sign Pearson.  He is a decent complementary player.

2.  There is a deadline with Tryamkin.  He needs to get a paycheque next season, and if we aren’t offering him one he has to sign in the KHL just like last season.  We can’t just hold on to see if something better comes our way.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

3.  The opportunity cost is much smaller.  We wouldn’t be signing Tryamkin to top 4 money.  It is going to be in the $2 million range give or take a little.  That is 3rd pairing/depth D pricing and you aren’t going to find a “difference maker” with that money.  

4.  With Pearson, there was an opportunity to flip him for an asset which could then be used as currency to create more opportunity, and not cost it.  If we got a 2nd for Pearson we could have used that to move Virtanen or Beagle as an example.  That would mean the freed up salary from not signing Pearson and moving other cap becomes around $5.5-6 million.  That can get you a different maker in this economic reality... heck that could get you a difference maker like Palat AND another asset as a sweetener to do it.

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Mobility is one of his strengths lol.   He's more "mobile" then both Hedman and AP.   He's extremely agile and a smooth skater.  Watch him closer i guess.   He's no QHs, but neither is anyone else and all these guys bring different things to the table.   Last night wasn't his best game, maybe his worst actually, and his worst was still better then a lot of Chatters early games this year.    Not many D's join the league and rush up the depth chart, it's way too early to just say "he's a 6 maybe a 7th at best".    

was it really that bad? I thought he did pretty well all things considered, having another rookie partner and dealing with a motivated Leafs team that is very mobile. He also generated a few nice scoring chances.

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As far as tree goes, well Button thinks it's a terrible mistake to waste a spot on him, and better to wait for a good opportunity.     Seems like both sides want him in camp to see what he can do, i trust the staff will make a decision on where to use him if at all, and fully expect IF gets a contract, he will start at 6/7th.   A Zack MxEwen like spare.   KHL is a lot different then the NHL, and he's almost a UFA.    See a one year show me deal and that's it.  

if its just a one year deal, I'm not sure its worth it. All we 'd be doing is grooming him to be a free agent. I'd like to see term or trade. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

If Benning lets him go to another team for some scrub or a 6th rounder... without at least trying him it will be a final nail in his management coffin.

Benning will probably move him to Calgary to help get them back to the 'contender' status you laughingly anointed them to.

• Haha 1