The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators l April 28, 2:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

You've got a good read eh?  So without being in practice, meetings, or generally anywhere behind closed doors you have a good read on Green's coaching?

Inexperienced?  14 years in the NHL, pays his dues in Junior and the American league and he's inexperienced?  

Some things never change around here

uh have you seen how he utilizes his timeouts? :bigblush:

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

i could care less. i played on a lot of championship teams in bc alot of my coaches never called a timeout

it isnt a huge deal but i did like when torts would use it, even though he was awful with us lol.

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ofcourse.

Thats not even up for discussion. Tippett is a top level coach. Has been for a very long time. 

Tippett is a better coach. So is Quenneville, Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour,  and many other unavailable coaches. Not sure what the point is.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Tippett is a better coach. So is Quenneville, Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour,  and many other unavailable coaches. Not sure what the point is.

people bring up gerard gallant but it makes you wonder why the panthers and vegas knights moved on from him with success, seems odd.
EDIT: i mean they had success with him as the coach, if i worded that confusing.

Edited by TNucks1

18 minutes ago, rychicken said:

We have 4 top 6 forwards

We have 4 bottom 6 forwards

We have 2, maybe 3 top 4 dmen

We have 3 bottom pair dmen

Yes, Edmonton is better in at least 2 out of the 4 areas you ask about. 

Teams need an identity. Some are offensive minded, they are a bit weak on D, but hope to outscore their opposition. They hope to win 5-4. They build their team that way

Others are defensive minded. They want to win 2-1. They build their team that way

Others are built with both in mind - they want to win 3-2 or 4-3. They build their team that way

Once you determine your identity, and you build it that way, then the coaches need to coach to it

We have a hodge-podge lineup, with no real identity. What are we? 

What "Style" would you recommend they play? With this roster 

Benning seemingly has never really had a team identity in mind has he?

19 minutes ago, rychicken said:

We have 4 top 6 forwards

We have 4 bottom 6 forwards

We have 2, maybe 3 top 4 dmen

We have 3 bottom pair dmen

Yes, Edmonton is better in at least 2 out of the 4 areas you ask about. 

Teams need an identity. Some are offensive minded, they are a bit weak on D, but hope to outscore their opposition. They hope to win 5-4. They build their team that way

Others are defensive minded. They want to win 2-1. They build their team that way

Others are built with both in mind - they want to win 3-2 or 4-3. They build their team that way

Once you determine your identity, and you build it that way, then the coaches need to coach to it

We have a hodge-podge lineup, with no real identity. What are we? 

What "Style" would you recommend they play? With this roster 

Oilers aren't defensive minded... 

They're literally run and gun. Smith has been their defense this year. Are they better defensively than us? Yes. What team isn't. But they definitely are not defensive minded. 

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Gallant is available. But he probably wont come to a rebuilding team. He'll want to go to a contender.

And Aqua wont be willing to spend the money it'll take to hire a top level coach.

He's losing 10s of millions. Is already spending to cap max.. i dont blame him. 

Owners are losing a lot of money. If i was Aqua I'd tell JB to cut players costs next season because we just dont have legit bottom 6 players to make the playoffs...

2 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

people bring up gerard gallant but it makes you wonder why the panthers and vegas knights moved on from him with success, seems odd.
EDIT: i mean they had success with him as the coach, if i worded that confusing.

He'll never coach in Vancouver. He was deeply involved in an ugly incident which involved the Sedins, and tasteless posthumous comments made about #37.

Just now, xereau said:

He'll never coach in Vancouver. He was deeply involved in an ugly incident which involved the Sedins, and tasteless posthumous comments made about #37.

what did he say?, i dont really remember hearing about that, but maybe he's just a d1ck thats why people fired him.

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

I agree, I have no idea what to think about him. 
If the season ended and TG signed somewhere else the same people screaming for his head would be chanting “there you go DimJim ran outa time.”

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I kinda hear what you’re saying but then agree with what Deb said... that start to the year (schedule or whatever reason) was also brutal.  

Self-inflicted maybe with terrible D and goaltending too.  If only we kept the health with when we started to remember how to play.  

Just feels like a complete write-off of a year. 

As an aside I think the North isn’t as bad as people are calling it either.  Every team is playoff-level (yea, even us based on last year) besides Ottawa - who are chalk full of young talent and just playing for fun with zero expectations.  Not many, or any (lol Toronto) contenders but “good” teams. Just my .02. 

You can make excuses, and people will.  
Call them facts, sure, but there’s no science that says it’s a disadvantage to get those games in with such a young group of minute munchers.  

The point I’d tried to piggy-back on yours with was to at least acknowledge that other teams had crap COVID luck to start their seasons and still managed to produce.  To try to cancel that out with a schedule excuse though, well that’s where my interest in the subject ends. 

The North Division is a gift, and the Canucks responded in typical Canucks form and played down to the lower teams and up for the few decent once’s, well for a bit there anyways.  

Are we really going to blame the standings and results on injuries and now COVID? Anyways, great post and follow-up response. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1