The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators l April 28, 2:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Green is not re-signed (which I think is the right choice), Benning should be let go as well. He’s had 7 years to bring this team to some form of being a contender. He’s made some smart moves, but far too many bad moves to be given any more rope. 

I truly hope the rumours of Aquilini being a cheapskate are false, as he’ll need to spend well to hire the proper GM and coach to get this team to contention. This team has some great pieces to build a team around, but seemingly can’t take the next step. 

Not that I disagree but when you say if Green is not re-signed JB should go, what about if Green was re-signed? 

This has been the way I have looked at it so far: I’m not satisfied with the team defence or power play. If TG thinks they are good and doesn’t make a change, he should be let go along with both NBs. If neither is going to happen then JB should be replaced. I guess it boils down to this question, is the biggest problem player personnel or style of play. As you said in a previous post what is this team’s identity?

My preference would be to bring in a President with experience to work with/oversee JB but my patience isn’t inexhaustible either.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

It was Thornton with the sisters comment, Florida's commentator used the low life reference.

i remember potvin i think it was that made the comment about peanut butter and classless comment about the sedins , how can he be so clueless about the sedins lol, like the exact oppisite.

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not that I disagree but when you say if Green is not re-signed JB should go, what about if Green was re-signed? 

This has been the way I have looked at it so far: I’m not satisfied with the team defence or power play. If TG thinks they are good and doesn’t make a change, he should be let go along with both NBs. If neither is going to happen then JB should be replaced. I guess it boils down to this question, is the biggest problem player personnel or style of play. As you said in a previous post what is this team’s identity?

My preference would be to bring in a President with experience to work with/oversee JB but my patience isn’t inexhaustible either.

Yeah, more roster tinkering or coaching change - which one has remained intact for the most part ?  Ditto and hopefully Aquaman hires a team president that can work with JB.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

If Green is re-signed, it’s more than likely because Benning wanted it. He brought him in. 

This has been the way I have looked at it so far: I’m not satisfied with the team defence or power play. If TG thinks they are good and doesn’t make a change, he should be let go along with both NBs.

Agree 100%. How anyone can look at the defensive performance overall and be happy with it is beyond me. It’s horribly inconsistent and far too passive. The same gaffes have happened far too often to pass it off as completely player driven. The PP is so woefully inconsistent and predictable. Again, anyone thinking it’s a solid PP is kidding themselves, especially considering the potential of the personnel. 

If neither is going to happen then JB should be replaced.

He’s had 7 years. More than Gillis. Benning has had his chance. 

I guess it boils down to this question, is the biggest problem player personnel or style of play. As you said in a previous post what is this team’s identity?

They seemingly can’t settle on one, and that falls squarely on coaching and management. Why else are they there? They need to build and guide the team. 

Ownership started out that way with Linden but ended up at an impasse. I don’t know who would want to take the job with Benning seeing as how oddly Linden left. Would Benning settle for a president overseeing his moves (which I’m all for)? He’s a decent drafter, which would probably be the best reason to keep him on.

We’ll see, but I’m with you. Personally, I don’t lose sleep over the Canucks and their performance, but I am a fan and want to see the team finally raise the Cup. I think players like Horvat, Demko, Hughes, Boeser, and Pettersson are more than capable of getting there if supported with the right players. I do have doubts that the present management and coaching staff are the ones to make it happen.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, more roster tinkering or coaching change - which one has remained intact for the most part ?

I kind of like some of the roster possibilities for next year like Podz, maybe Tryamkin, and having a look at Lind/Gadj/Rathbone etc.  That’s why I want to get a look at the kids now to get an idea if any of them are close. 

But like phillipblunt said about team identity it does make me wonder how far we have to go in making changes. As others have said nothing is going to happen until the off-season so we’ll all have a better idea what we want to see done by then. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-managing-their-way-through-minor-hockey-schedule-bo-horvat

Horvat calls their shedule minor hockey schedule... team obviously choked about schedule.

Not sure if already discussed earlier. 

thought his comments said he hasnt had a schedule like this since peewee or minors, but what can you do when covid hits you with an already f#cked up schedule, our luck this season is trash and we started out trash, is the article worth reading?

2 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

thought his comments said he hasnt had a schedule like this since peewee or minors, but what can you do when covid hits you with an already f#cked up schedule, our luck this season is trash and we started out trash, is the article worth reading?

Not much else into it. They not usinh cobid as excuse. Side note at bottom it says Lind and Rathbone might get a look tomorrow. Not by coach just by reporter

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, SNuck said:

I would argue that yes, coaching for 5 years in sub-NHL leagues qualifies as an inexperienced NHL coach. 

Inexperienced... The guy knows the game inside out.  He's been a player long enough to know what works as a coach.

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I kinda hear what you’re saying but then agree with what Deb said... that start to the year (schedule or whatever reason) was also brutal.  

Self-inflicted maybe with terrible D and goaltending too.  If only we kept the health with when we started to remember how to play.  

Just feels like a complete write-off of a year. 

As an aside I think the North isn’t as bad as people are calling it either.  Every team is playoff-level (yea, even us based on last year) besides Ottawa - who are chalk full of young talent and just playing for fun with zero expectations.  Not many, or any (lol Toronto) contenders but “good” teams. Just my .02. 

To top it off, I dont think we've seen the worst of it

Team is completely out of gas

Enjoy the games, but dont look into the results.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I kind of like some of the roster possibilities for next year like Podz, maybe Tryamkin, and having a look at Lind/Gadj/Rathbone etc.  That’s why I want to get a look at the kids now to get an idea if any of them are close. 

But like phillipblunt said about team identity it does make me wonder how far we have to go in making changes. As others have said nothing is going to happen until the off-season so we’ll all have a better idea what we want to see done by then. 

Perhaps it was from the ownership down that wants to keep the impression of winning, was the main reason for pushing for a playoff spot & playing the vets rather than recognizing the obvious that this season is a regression and it would had been prudent to showcase & play the future - the team is still lossing despite the (mentoring expensive vets).  Some teams seems to recognize season like these (early in the season) and will tend to make the most out of it in preparation for next...

Preferably, I would like to see this roster with a different staff before any trade(s), all our FA's walks and Aquaman hires a team president that can work with JB.  Also, JB needs to stop overpaying for vets for mainly the reasons of mentoring/sheltering and give the young core a chance at the leadership role & the rookies a legit chance to make the club before relegating to learning from the press box...

Edited by ShawnAntoski