The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Personally, I found that Sh1t kicking of "Special Ed" hard to watch, as it once again demonstrated this teams underlying lack of Grit and pushback and the lingering "Swedish effect" that has hampered this team for over two decades.  Until every player on this team gets some grit and fight instilled in them - WE WILL NEVER BE RESPECTED & TOUGH ENOUGH TO WIN A CUP.   

Going back two decades we've been overly influenced by Swedish meekness.  More recently, the Sedins brainwashed all the feistiness out of Horvat - that he once had in the Juniors, as as tougher Canadian player with EP40 right behind him, destined to continue the legacy of Soft, Swedish Finesse style playing on our country club team, which might garner some Oos & Awes in the regular season but will ultimately get crushed in the playoffs.

Watching Edler cow last night brought back memories of the 2011 Stanley cup where the Sedins got punched right in the face numerous times and did nothing.  I'll never forget that most embarrassing moment.  What a disgrace as a Canucks fan that was and I felt no different last night watching a big guy like him get pounded like a woosey !

He was never a woosie dropping the mitts despite knowing he was going to get his ass handed to him. Takes guts facing the music, and a lot more respect than just declining the invitation.

However, you underlying issue, I do agree upon. The team has been physically battered and I also do believe it is mentally hindering the team, that they aren't able to stand up to be counted. I'm not talking about 1 fighter in team, I'm talking about size and feistiness... Dorsett was small, Rick was small, but they would drop them instantly... 

I do find the 'Swedish' thing slightly wrong, although the players mentioned are lightweights, I don't know about Hoglander, but don't think he'd shy away, if he had to... 

42 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not convinced that a new GM could not actually turn this ship around faster than Benning will be able to. There is a lot of cap space upcoming. The last thing we need is Benning using it up on more of the same kind of middling bottom 6 guys on long contracts or worse swing for the fences on a $&!#ty trade like for oel or sign a regret immediately ufa.  

This is the perfect time for a new GM. Gives him a bit of time to assess and tweak while actually planning what kind of team he wants. With the ability cap wise soon to make it a reality.

Maybe.   But like it or not ownership is behind him, pretty sure TG too.   He avoided 80 million in contracts last offseason and let CAL pick up the bulk of it and look where that got them.  Instead picked up Schmidt (whom we need more of and not less), acquired JT Miller and Myers a year before that ... that's excellent asset management given our roster.   For sure he screwed up with LE, and Bear - Luongo isn't on him at all.  Sutter, Beagle and AR aren't garbage like some like to continue to believe, they are serviceable vets signed when our team still sucked or was about to suck in Sutters case.   LE and Bear is our wasted cap space the rest - any team can be cherry picked for that, and most can for LE and Bear too.  Get the anxiety over it, i have it too.   In plain english he avoided creating more of a mess last season, kept his pool, picks aside from Schmidt which is a fleecing for our team and signed Demko to a fair deal.    He's improved with time, drafted the pool despite the mess he was handed, and had done enough to earn the right for awhile at least to put some finishing touches on it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Personally, I found that Sh1t kicking of "Special Ed" hard to watch, as it once again demonstrated this teams underlying lack of Grit and pushback and the lingering "Swedish effect" that has hampered this team for over two decades.  Until every player on this team gets some grit and fight instilled in them - WE WILL NEVER BE RESPECTED & TOUGH ENOUGH TO WIN A CUP.   

Going back two decades we've been overly influenced by Swedish meekness.  More recently, the Sedins brainwashed all the feistiness out of Horvat - that he once had in the Juniors, as as tougher Canadian player with EP40 right behind him, destined to continue the legacy of Soft, Swedish Finesse style playing on our country club team, which might garner some Oos & Awes in the regular season but will ultimately get crushed in the playoffs.

Watching Edler cow last night brought back memories of the 2011 Stanley cup where the Sedins got punched right in the face numerous times and did nothing.  I'll never forget that most embarrassing moment.  What a disgrace as a Canucks fan that was and I felt no different last night watching a big guy like him get pounded like a woosey !

I totally agree

that is why I spent the rest of yesters game yelling "Hit someBODY' at my TV

but alas, nothing

Sissy GM

Sissy coach

Sissy Captain, ( yes, 73 I'm calling out our captain again)

Sissy team

Mreanwhile we have this new "Me Too' movement about Vancouver being a haard city to play in because the fans and media are mean to our players

'EARN SOME RESPECT, AND WE'LL SHOW YOU SOME RESPECT"

Where was the "team toughness" and respect for your elder, or was it Edler statesman?

Toronto is not even a tough team, but they pulled down our panties and spanked our little pink bottoms

I'm pretty sure Tiger Williams didn't have any trouble with fans or media calling him out

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He was never a woosie dropping the mitts despite knowing he was going to get his ass handed to him. Takes guts facing the music, and a lot more respect than just declining the invitation.

However, you underlying issue, I do agree upon. The team has been physically battered and I also do believe it is mentally hindering the team, that they aren't able to stand up to be counted. I'm not talking about 1 fighter in team, I'm talking about size and feistiness... Dorsett was small, Rick was small, but they would drop them instantly... 

I do find the 'Swedish' thing slightly wrong, although the players mentioned are lightweights, I don't know about Hoglander, but don't think he'd shy away, if he had to... 

speaking of Hoglander

he could have stopped the Mathews goal if he tried backcheckng

Looks like he has been playing with Miller too long

Speaking of Miller, did anyone check to make sure that wasn't Jimmy Vesey wearing old number 9?

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's why I disagree.....if their player got a 3 game suspension I believe our team would feel it was "settled" and there'd be no follow up.

The code is taking care of unfinished business and generally that happens in real time or the next time the teams play.  But when the league steps in and a player's missed games, it should be a closed book at that point (in my view).  Carry over gets dangerous.

And away from all of that....why is there no instigator?  

It was really disappointing that the same ref that handed out instigator pen to a canucks previously suddenly found no reason to do it to Simmons...

Mean time, while you are probably right about the league dealing with it by suspending a player, I will be honest and say, the Mattheson getting a two game suspension for injuring Petey, I wanted him to get some knuckle dust afterwards...  

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Hopefully this happens tomorrow but it wont because benning has brought in bunch of snow flakes on this team

there will be some shoving and maybe a "YOur a doodoohead"

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, lmm said:

speaking of Hoglander

Speaking of Miller, did anyone check to make sure that wasn't Jimmy Vesey wearing old number 9?

I did mention, how out of touch Miller looked yesterday... I think they are struggling more with the Covid aftermath, than they leading us to believe. QH is in the same both...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It was really disappointing that the same ref that handed out instigator pen to a canucks previously suddenly found no reason to do it to Simmons...

Mean time, while you are probably right about the league dealing with it by suspending a player, I will be honest and say, the Mattheson getting a two game suspension for injuring Petey, I wanted him to get some knuckle dust afterwards...  

shoe on the other foot and everyone forgets 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

speaking of Hoglander

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

speaking of Hoglander

JT is definitely not looking right since the break.   Terrible decisions (not just by him either)

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, lmm said:

I totally agree

that is why I spent the rest of yesters game yelling "Hit someBODY' at my TV

but alas, nothing

Sissy GM

Sissy coach

Sissy Captain, ( yes, 73 I'm calling out our captain again)

Sissy team

Mreanwhile we have this new "Me Too' movement about Vancouver being a haard city to play in because the fans and media are mean to our players

'EARN SOME RESPECT, AND WE'LL SHOW YOU SOME RESPECT"

Where was the "team toughness" and respect for your elder, or was it Edler statesman?

Toronto is not even a tough team, but they pulled down our panties and spanked our little pink bottoms

I'm pretty sure Tiger Williams didn't have any trouble with fans or media calling him out

I'm not sure about sissy Captain, but agree that it hard at time to watch us being manhandled so easily... Odd especially with Benning coming over from Bruins...

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe.   But like it or not ownership is behind him, pretty sure TG too.   He avoided 80 million in contracts last offseason and let CAL pick up the bulk of it and look where that got them.  Instead picked up Schmidt (whom we need more of and not less), acquired JT Miller and Myers a year before that ... that's excellent asset management given our roster.   For sure he screwed up with LE, and Bear - Luongo isn't on him at all.  Sutter, Beagle and AR aren't garbage like some like to continue to believe, they are serviceable vets signed when our team still sucked or was about to suck in Sutters case.   LE and Bear is our wasted cap space the rest - any team can be cherry picked for that, and most can for LE and Bear too.  Get the anxiety over it, i have it too.   In plain english he avoided creating more of a mess last season, kept his pool, picks aside from Schmidt which is a fleecing for our team and signed Demko to a fair deal.    He's improved with time, drafted the pool despite the mess he was handed, and had done enough to earn the right for awhile at least to put some finishing touches on it. 

He was trying to trade for OEL and his anchor of a contract. Lost a top 6 winger as result. 

Markstrom leaving is fine. The defense misses Tanev though. Benning probably could have kept him for cheaper but didnt even tey until it was too late.

The finishing touches are where Benning really sucks. Give it to a GM who can build out a competitive supporting cast.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

JT is definitely not looking right since the break.   Terrible decisions (not just by him either)

I guess I could put this in the new Green thread

HUggy top minute D

Miller top minute F

both are sucking right now

but The Green Monster says "THere is no rule that you have to lose whenyou are tired"

That is the new "This isn't a try league" statement that shows just how out of touch our glorious coach is

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I'm not sure about sissy Captain, but agree that it hard at time to watch us being manhandled so easily... Odd especially with Benning coming over from Bruins...

I looked at the Bruins drafting recently

Jim's time there produced fewer players than the years fore and aft

Jim's time starts with Zach Hamill in 2007 and ends with Linus Arnesson in 2013

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

I looked at the Bruins drafting recently

Jim's time there produced fewer players than the years fore and aft

Jim's time starts with Zach Hamill in 2007 and ends with Linus Arnesson in 2013

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html

It was not so much the drafting, I was referring to, but more the team building in general... That team was not as skilled as Ours, but they fought their corner...

5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

5 on five scoring chances against …

During Green’s tenure we have been consistently ranked 31st in the league

let that sink in 

Keep in mind that this is the passive 'system' incarnate.

Encouraging shots in order to get the puck back may sound okay on paper, but.. in reality it's awful to watch at times.

And if your goalie doesn't stand on his head, it's game over before the game's even begun.

Clearly he doesn't give a single $&!# about metrics or any traditional analytics when it comes to D zone systems, or hell, even what the fans think of the hot garbage he puts forward as 'entertainment'. Remember this.. this is supposed to be entertainment.. are you entertained????

In Green's defense, the passive system is designed to befuddle a single opponent a single time, before the team moves onto the next. The moment any team has time to adjust from game to game, ie, this season OR the playoffs, it's going to be eviscerated, especially against puck possession/pursuit teams like Vegas.

Fans should be disgusted that this is the best idea with which he could come up, and it reeks of incompetence. It also reeks of stubbornness and unwillingness and or inability to adapt.

Towards the end of the really bad stretch this season, the last game of their road trip in Toronto (whenever that was.. Feb?), you could see a spark of life in the team, and I for one distinctly remember that game as an aha moment because, get this, the team was taking the man in the D zone, not just figure skating in the middle of the ice. I honestly have no faith that this was the coaching, because they immediately went back to the collapse once they were back home, but the players organically did what they had to break Green's self induced funk.

People may $&!# on you here, but dude, I'm sick to death of what this guy brings to the table too.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

~John Adams

• Cheers 2

Just now, spook007 said:

It was not so much the drafting, I was referring to, but more the team building in general... That team was not as skilled as Ours, but they fought their corner...

true, but maybe that is why Boston did not mind losing Jim.

Jim seems to be able to find skill, but that is not the only element of a winning team

Does anyoone else wish we had drassed Palmu, Madden and Manyuken last night?

they would really have showed Toronto who is boss.

Look at other recent pick ups

Vesey, if he's not scoring he is not doing anything

Schmidt, offensive D needs back up

Bowey, Schmidt really lite

its like Jim wants to recreate the 80s oiler except he doesn't want Smenko, Smith, McSorley, Muni, McLelland ot Hunter

• Haha 1