The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finally dawned on me why we let Gaudette go for so little in return

Rate this topic

Harold27k

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Just need a GM that knows how to manage his owner. Seems to be a big part of the job these days.

Whenever this current management saga ends, Aquilini will probably be looking to repair the PR damage and keep his distance from the team going forward, or at least he'll try harder for it not to go public.

That's where a Prez comes in. I'm 50/50 on Benning as  a GM. President....nope.

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, just like AG the PR department will be trading JV as well...

He'd likely be bought out this off-season even if the scandal didn't happen. Now that it has, it's a slam dunk.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The Aqua's are worth billions, and they've got their hands in a lot of different things. The Canucks might not be their top priority, but they're almost certainly on the list. Francesco in particular seems to enjoy being the owner of an NHL team, and appears to be a fan of the team as well. 

The real estate undoubtedly is, but that's just the thing, that value ain't likely to depreciate. Could someone feasibly come along and offer to buy the Canucks? Yeah, but it's not as if the Aqua's are in a financial pickle. 

If Jim's replacement is a 1st timer, we really know who makes the hockey decisions for the team.

1 minute ago, Josepho said:

Do you think he cares more than Melnyk?

Yes and no. Do I think he's more invested in the hockey team? Yeah. Do I think he's more invested in being the owner of an NHL team? No. 

The Aqua's are a lot more financially secure than Melnyk, Francesco alone is worth more than double what Melnyk is. Melnyk is just barely a billionaire, the Sens represent a more significant investment for him, I'd argue they're also more important to his ego. 

Go ask Sens fans on reddit, HF, ect, what they think of Melnyk's historical tenure. The teams looks like they should be on an upward trajectory going forward, but that doesn't erase the past. His being a horrible owner and $&!#ty person is well documeted. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Griffiths were nice.  But let's face it they didn't give Quin enough of a wallet to compete with salary disclosure (not that it was their doing, but it happened).   Nedved was a greedy chump so good riddance, but Bure did his time and earned a pay day which the owners weren't willing to sign for.   The Orca Entertainment group branded us.   Not a good look, and wanted to move the team to Seattle, Quin wouldn't allow it.   Aqua is the best owner we've had yet. 

Reminds me of that old reoccuring sketch on Mad TV.

sc4ZZ08WZ7HQhyw8Tn3ugrwgQiarq4uJVovM8AeR

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Not a pickle that's for sure.

I can't see any NHL team being cash flow positive now hence the reluctantly for a buyout.

I think even the wealthiest owners have probably made efforts to conserve cash flow. One doesn't become a millionaire, let alone a billionaire, by not managing their money extremely efficiently (whether themselves, or through employees). 

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

If Jim's replacement is a 1st timer, we really know who makes the hockey decisions for the team.

I dunno, it depends on who it is for me imo. First time GM doesn't necessarily mean first time NHL executive, we've seen other AGM's and the like make the jump to other teams and have success in the past. But yeah, a more experienced GM would be my preference. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think even the wealthiest owners have probably made efforts to conserve cash flow. One doesn't become a millionaire, let alone a billionaire, by not managing their money extremely efficiently (whether themselves, or through employees). 

I agree.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He'd likely be bought out this off-season even if the scandal didn't happen. Now that it has, it's a slam dunk.

Yeah, seems to be trending that way; what sad ending to the JV (JBs first ever Canuck draft pick) experiment/experience.   Hopefully, this will have a positive effect on JV as person in the long run if he is proven to be innocent.

2 hours ago, Harold27k said:

Wish some deep pocket investor would come and buy Aqulini out,and clean house of Benning/Green

I'm about ready for this.  I'm passed JB.  The buck stops at Aquaman.

JB continues to squander this teams future with dumb decisions. But are they dumb, or has he just been trying to keep his job?

I fear that Canuck fans are screwed.  That the Benning / Aquilini  merry-go-round will never work, and in fact the are their own worst enemies.  Benning took the job, from Gillis.  Gillis wanted to start a rebuild in 2013. He saw the writing on the wall.  The owners were addicted to the the playoff money, and excitement and turfed Gillis and screened any new GM and made it clear they were NOT to rebuild, and not even utter the word. 

Maybe a more principled applicant would have turned down the position. But I can't judge too harshly.  The opportunity to manage an NHL team?  And also perhaps Benning was convinced, or convinced himself, that the owner was right, and that tinkering would be enough.  We don't know. 

That doesn't excuse Jim later though when he could have gotten more tough about a rebuild after two or three years in, if he had the balls.  But he may have thought he'd set the course, that the owner wanted, and was now sticking to it. Wanted to keep his job and just didn't want to rock the boat.  Not acceptable IMO.

On the owners side, he probably knows deep down that he's been a wery wery wery bad owner.  That he HAS meddled too much. He can read the criticisms. But now, he is too arrogant to admit he was wrong, and might just double down and extend Benning instead just to prove his point. Benning now is so far down the rabbit hole. He's been bought and sold. Its like a bad romance.  They should split up, but each one needs the other one to cover for them no matter how unhealthy it is for the team under them. 

I want your horror, I want your design
‘Cause you’re a criminal as long as you’re mine
I want your love
Love, love, love, I want your love, uh

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, it depends on who it is for me imo. First time GM doesn't necessarily mean first time NHL executive, we've seen other AGM's and the like make the jump to other teams and have success in the past. But yeah, a more experienced GM would be my preference. 

there's a lot for a new GM to like about joining this team, the current big contact problems will actually be gone soon so its not like there will be a huge mess to clean up.

I just want better roster decisions moving forward. The extra year to Pearson, giving Gaudette away and losing Tryamkin kind of did me in having faith in Jim's moves going forward. I don't think he can move any salary, nor make any significant trades and I worry what he'll do in free agency. 

So I definitely want an experienced replacement, not another newbie. Could be the right AGM but preferably someone who's cut his teeth elsewhere. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harold27k said:

because Benning and Green let it out during the covid stoppage he was the 1st guy to be into covid quarantine. And maybe was the scapegoat as to majority of team getting sick? 

Why else do you take Matthew Highmore in return who has zero goals in 30 games this yr?

But lets add this list Beagle/Rouselle/Vessy/Micalief/Boyd/Highmore/Sutter/Hawrluk as wonderul failed Benning additions whose combined goal total doesnt equate 1/3rd likely that of Tyler Toffoli whom he refused to resign and likely main reason why the habs are going to the post season instead of us.

And another key reason why the pp percentage stinks and why in the absence of Elias we really needed the scoring expoits of Toffoli

But at least we get to take a look at Gadovich as he may turn out to be better used than Mackewan when Green has fairly healthy lineup.    Just can not stand another season of Beagle and Anton Rouselle    and revolving waiver wire guys named above  if we are going to improve the bottom half of ineffective forward group next yr.

Wish some deep pocket investor would come and buy Aqulini out,and clean house of Benning/Green

They weren't brought in to score goals.

The guy that replaced Toffoli is Hoglander.

Hoglander has 9 goals (1/3 of Toffoli) at about 1/4th of Toffoli's salary.

Should we have kept Toffoli? Yes. But comparing those guys' output to Toffoli and say that those are failed players is just ignorant.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Hopefully, this will have a positive effect on JV as person in the long run if he is proven to be innocent.

That's what's important here. I'm done with thinking of Virtanen as a Canucks player or asset or former draft pick, I don't care anymore.

Just hope that if he really did what the woman is saying, she's able to heal and he can become a better human.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there's a lot for a new GM to like about joining this team, the current big contact problems will actually be gone soon so its not like there will be a huge mess to clean up.

I just want better roster decisions moving forward. The extra year to Pearson, giving Gaudette away and losing Tryamkin kind of did me in having faith in Jim's moves going forward. I don't think he can move any salary, nor make any significant trades and I worry what he'll do in free agency. 

So I definitely want an experienced replacement, not another newbie. Could be the right AGM but preferably someone who's cut his teeth elsewhere. 

Agreed, there's a lot to like about bringing in a guy with a proven track record. The Pearson deal doesn't bother me as I figure he'll be decent value, but losing Tram kind of sucks. Gaudette doesn't bother me either, it didn't appear he was going to crack our top six and he's a middling bottom six guy. 

The Tryamkin thing, that's not all on JB and shouldn't be presented as such. If Tram was asking for unrealistic term and dollars for a guy who's proven very little at the NHL level perhaps we were better washing our hands of him. It's a lose/lose, overpay him and have him fail to live up to expectations or lose him and have fans gripe over "what if's". It's also worth questioning just how much interest Tram actually had in returning to the NHL. But yeah, JB's historical management of cap space does impact things. 

I anticipate most movement will come from within going forward, haven't they said as much? But I guess we'll see? 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

That's what's important here. I'm done with thinking of Virtanen as a Canucks player or asset or former draft pick, I don't care anymore.

Just hope that if he really did what the woman is saying, she's able to heal and he can become a better human.

Yeah, the worst thing that is happening right now is all the over reaction(s); let's ALL let it play out first; and the LOA move by the Canucks was a good move (imo) but I still believe JV is still getting traded by the PR department cause the city will not tolerate a player that - now - has this stigma.

Edited by ShawnAntoski