The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finally dawned on me why we let Gaudette go for so little in return

Rate this topic

Harold27k

2 hours ago, Harold27k said:

It was best during the Pat Quinn era

You mean the clown that phoned Gretzky at midnight and issued him an ultimatum?   

Trust me - I loved Quinn as a coach and he did manage to land us Bure in the draft that one time, but he was an idiot GM.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • RoughGame 4

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Be careful what you wish for.  Some of us remember what ownership was like prior to Aquilini buying the team.  It definitely wasn't better.  

This. This fanbase is so spoiled. I would take AQ over Melnyk any day of the week.

• Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Trust me - I loved Quinn as a coach and he did manage to land us Bure in the draft that one time, but he was an idiot GM.

You actually think Gretzky had the intention of signing with Vancouver?

I don't think so. Here's why:

Either Gretzky verbally agreed that he'd sign in the morning and/or He would sleep on it.

Either way, there wasn't a finalized agreement, hence Canuck OWNERSHIP (Not Quinn) wanted Gretzky to sign the contract the night before.

If Gretzky ACTUALLY had the intention of signing with the Canucks, he would've done so.  Part of the negotiation process is to push people to commit on paper. Verbal contracts don't get legal recourse. As long as nothing is signed, the client has every right to "change his mind". Leaving Gretzky to 'think about it' is risking the chance that he'll change his mind.

So Quinn doesn't deserve any flack for this. I would say Gretzky was not actually interested in joining the Canucks. He more likely used the Canucks as leverage against the NYR. New York will panic and throw him a better offer. Why else did he sign with NYR so quickly?

The talk about Gretzky being "pressured" and being disrespected for being pressured is plain nonsense.

Vancouver was a bad team then. Unless they overpaid more than everyone else, New York was likely a more attractive market. That's just how things work when your team is garbage; you have to pay people to come.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Man these TT takes are getting absurd. 

Let's look at things rationally.

TT was traded for with the expectation the cap was going by 5-8 million so right there anything that happened after is kind of moot. But let's say we signed him, before this season he had one season with 30 goals, his average is around 23, this season is a complete one off and going forward we have younger better options for the top six.

As for all the bottom six signed or claimed they won't be back next season and have no impact on the teams structure going forward.

Rooster gets crapped on but odd how we seem to perform better with him in the lineup but hey that doesn't matter only cap space right?

Beagle is done but refer to the above.

Gaudette is a tweener who sucks at defense and regressed a lot this season but just like any one Benning moves he's the 2nd coming of Christ the minute he's moved according to Benning haters.

Next season when we have Nate and TT is back to what he is a lot of crow will be on the menu.

Wich top 6 players are you talking about? I can only find three better or alike so he would be our fourth best forward.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

What do you think they are worth?

The real estate is worth a pretty penny.

According to Forbes Inc., Canucks are valued at $725 million in 2020 (ranked 10th in the NHL), having lost 2% in value since 2019, based on 2020 revenues of $146 million and $2.9 million operating income.  That's not the total value of CSE, which includes Rogers Arena.

New York Rangers valued at $1.65B, Leafs at $1.5B, Habs at $1.34B make up the top 3 (most likely on the strength of local media rights).  Bottom three are Coyotes (31st) at $285M, Panthers (30th) at $295M, Blue Jackets (29th) at $310M...all apparently operating at a loss.

Seattle Kraken just made final installment on expansion fee of $650 million (an inflated price).  Canucks will probably receive about $20 million of that money.

https://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Griffiths were nice.  But let's face it they didn't give Quin enough of a wallet to compete with salary disclosure (not that it was their doing, but it happened).   Nedved was a greedy chump so good riddance, but Bure did his time and earned a pay day which the owners weren't willing to sign for.   The Orca Entertainment group branded us.   Not a good look, and wanted to move the team to Seattle, Quin wouldn't allow it.   Aqua is the best owner we've had yet. 

Let’s not forget that the Griffiths paid for GM place out of their own wallet. Around 110 million at the time with no tax money. Mccaw was looking into moving the team I believe but at the time Canadian teams were in very bad shape. Any other owner may have moved the team. Quinn I believe was responsible for convincing mccaw not to rename the team the orcas if I recall. Overall maccaw wasn’t a bad owner. Aqua man is the worst owner we have had just because he has been rumoured to be too involved with the decisions the GM is supposed to be making. In my opinion that has crippled this teams growth for years and years. I don’t believe you can say the same as the previous two owners

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

53 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Yeah I mean he didn’t pull off some of the greatest trades in franchise history. Get the hell out of here. You’ve lost all credibility. 

Edited by linden17
  • Cheers 4

17 minutes ago, linden17 said:

Yeah I mean he didn’t pull off some of the greatest trades in franchise history. Get the hell out of here. You’ve lost all credibility. 

Thanks for cleaning up what I wanted to say but held back to comply with the guidelines.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Harold27k said:

Wish some deep pocket investor would come and buy Aqulini out,and clean house of Benning/Green

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. And guess what? A new owner isn't going to pay any more attention to the demands of fans than Aquilini does. A new GM? Could be anybody. Peter Chiarelli maybe? How about Scott Mellanby? Ron Hextallll? Tom Fitzgerald? Mike Gillis? And a whole new coaching staff? Gerard Gallant? Bruce Boudreau? Claude Julien? I imagine Tortorella will be available again soon. So on top of that, new ownership, management, and coaching will inevitably result in most of the roster being turned over within three years. New faces have fresh eyes and will value players differently, meaning the very guys the fans all love may be traded away. And the fans will complain all the way to the box office and the merch store for their favourite jersey, and they will continue to haunt these boards with demands that the GM and coach be fired. And the circle, it goes round and round.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Owner made Quinn call him, it wasn’t Quinn himself. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Either Gretzky verbally agreed that he'd sign in the morning and/or He would sleep on it.

Either way, there wasn't a finalized agreement, hence Canuck OWNERSHIP (Not Quinn) wanted Gretzky to sign the contract the night before.

If Gretzky ACTUALLY had the intention of signing with the Canucks, he would've done so.  Part of the negotiation process is to push people to commit on paper. Verbal contracts don't get legal recourse. As long as nothing is signed, the client has every right to "change his mind". Leaving Gretzky to 'think about it' is risking the chance that he'll change his mind.

So Quinn doesn't deserve any flack for this. I would say Gretzky was not actually interested in joining the Canucks. He more likely used the Canucks as leverage against the NYR. New York will panic and throw him a better offer. Why else did he sign with NYR so quickly?

The talk about Gretzky being "pressured" and being disrespected for being pressured is plain nonsense.

Vancouver was a bad team then. Unless they overpaid more than everyone else, New York was likely a more attractive market. That's just how things work when your team is garbage; you have to pay people to come.

Gretzky was going to come to Vancouver the phone call soured him on the deal. 

Gretzky was also nearly a Canuck before the trade to the Kings to but Burke pulled the plug on the deal because the Money Edmonton wanted Burke couldn’t find a way to make back in reasonable time without gouging the fans. 

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Basically Vancouver was being used to get a better deal from New York, plain and simple. Gretzky will deny it. The fact is Gretzky was never going to play in Vancouver or Toronto a team that was in the running (I think Toronto knew this that's why they dropped out so early). 

Back on topic who do you suggest as the new GM? Al Murray? Stacy Roest from Tampa? 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, linden17 said:

It wasn’t worse. Mccaw kept out of the decision making for the most part. The griffiths were wonderful too so I don’t understand what you’re talking about

You mean the same John McCaw who told Pat Quinn to walk away from signing Wayne Gretzky?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, linden17 said:

Yep. Is there another John mccaw that owned the team?? 

No he is the only one that I can remember.  Same guy who fired Pat Quinn, brought in Mike Keenan who then brought in Mark Messier who ripped the C off of Linden's chest.  Those were fun times to be a Canucks fan.

But Aquilini and Benning, so much worse...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You mean the same John McCaw who told Pat Quinn to walk away from signing Wayne Gretzky?

He made Quinn and McCammon call Gretzky to sign around midnight and not wait until the morning. That call killed the Gretzky deal 

• Upvote 1