The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers l May 3, 7 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This season is a wipe...  we're going to get some good draft picks this year, shed half of our veteran contracts and move on.  

Green might resign or he might choose to sign with a California team and be closer to home.  

There's really no point in changing the GM at this point, his strength is drafting.  Do we think that changing the GM will suddenly give us more cap space or provide some magic player that will instantly make us better?  

If we change the GM, it should be done after the draft.  

The last thing this team should do is let Benning handcuff the next GM with more bad contracts.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Myers just earned his degree from Edlers Shin pad university lol

Edlers proud tonight...

college fail GIF

"All shinpads are yours to hit when I'm gone, Mysie."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I know everyone is probably feeling really down.

But this team is not as bad as it is playing right now.

This is primarily really poor coaching and a GM who fails to prioritize putting together a respectable defense.

Think about how bad Edmonchuck was a couple years ago... and what two years of a good coach and a decent GM have done to reverse that decline.

The basic building blocks of Edmonton are the same... the changes to the roster have not been around the major pieces.

The same applies to the Canucks.

They have a great core group of forwards... who are being coached poorly.

They have a couple decent defensemen... Hughes, Myers and Edler, (Edler soon to be gone) but need at least one good free agent defense signing and some maturity from the existing young D.

And they have a good young goalie in Demko.

But none of the needed changes can happen while Green and Benning are here....  they have to be gone before they do more damage.

Edler is a good defensemen?  He hasn't been good in 5 years.  Takes lazy penalties, gives the puck away at least once per game...

So you think the only difference between the Oilers and the Canucks are the coaches and GM's?

Give me a break.

At the end of the day, the players are the ones that are on the ice - only they can make a difference.  
All teams have the same salary cap - so, all the teams should be fairly equal?  No?  Of course not.  Teams that are sub par have players that are being paid more than they are worth.  The only way to fix that is - have a base salary and then incentive based pay.  IE, have some team goals and player goals - hit them - the players get more money.

If you don't understand that, then keep just blaming the coaches and gm's and owners for the player's sub par performance.

Gee, maybe if the Canucks got 4 1st overall picks in 6 years they would be better than they are now?

• Haha 1

Embarrassing. 5 straight losses when the season was on the line.  This team could go 2 and 8 the rest of the way and might finish last in the division.

Seriously fans.  This team is arguably no better than 5 years ago.  We have half a dozen decent players and then a bunch of guys who are no good.

But we have Green instead of Willy!  And we still have JB..

Lol.  This is not a good franchise and it is in disarray. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Great core? You sure about that because im really questioning a core that looks pretty damn awful. 

You are entitled to your opinion.

But I personally think that if they were coached properly, Petey, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Hoglander and one of our developing talents would make an excellent top six.

The issue is defense.

#97 is making the current Canuck defense look bad... because they are poorly coached.

The way you stop McDavid is by hitting him before he crosses the blueline.

When was the last time you saw a Canuck D step up and hit McDavid?  Edler did that earlier in the year... but that was a long time ago.

And the forward who is covering McDavid has to hit him regularly and piss him off... that is not happening.

mcdavid is gonna get 14 points in next 4 games against us  they are gonna feast on how tired we are.  Not sure why sone fans think we getting 3-4 more eins this yr we be lucky is we get 1     all these back to backs after having covid  plus injuries plus ahl players at 30 plus percent on team we are doomed.  Hopefully it gets rid of coaches and gets us a top 4 pick at draft 

• Cheers 2

Anyone else getting the vibe that this might have been Edler's last game as a Canuck?  I think he'll be rested tomorrow and Rathbone will draw in, and for sure he won't give up that slot easily.  Green knows it, and judging by the number of shots Edler had, he knows it too (I guess Hoglander didn't get the memo).  The clincher would have been if Edler had seen time on the PP to get that 100th goal 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This season is a wipe...  we're going to get some good draft picks this year, shed half of our veteran contracts and move on.  

Green might resign or he might choose to sign with a California team and be closer to home.  

There's really no point in changing the GM at this point, his strength is drafting.  Do we think that changing the GM will suddenly give us more cap space or provide some magic player that will instantly make us better?  

If we change the GM, it should be done after the draft.  

I’m honestly surprised JB is still at the helm given Aqua’s usual short leash... but you’re right there’s zero harm in keeping him around for the draft.  His other strength has been re-signing his RFAs to decent deals so I’m not worried about Hughes/Petey either especially after this season. 

His pro targets lately haven’t been bad either - Toffoli, Miller, Schmidt and I’m fine with Myers.    Pearson is back on pace for about 20 goals over 82. Won’t be a ton of wiggle room anyways, I can see why Aqua is sitting on his hands there.

12 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m certainly there.  

There’s no point in thinking too hard about the hockey... this season was looking like a write-off before Covid.  Now it’s just a formality.  You can’t prognosticate based on what we’re seeing.

Will be fun to see Gadjovich and Rathbone down the stretch and hopefully we finally win a draft lottery.  

Here's hoping, because I doubt we win another game 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Anyone else getting the vibe that this might have been Edler's last game as a Canuck?  I think he'll be rested tomorrow and Rathbone will draw in, and for sure he won't give up that slot easily.  Green knows it, and judging by the number of shots Edler had, he knows it too (I guess Hoglander didn't get the memo).  The clincher would have been if Edler had seen time on the PP to get that 100th goal 

he will get in more games but ya tomorrow id put in rathbone 

Just now, canuktravella said:

edler is a great shutdown guy he plays well i dont know what your thinking none of  young guys are better than him yet 

Hughes is the only defensemen worth protecting from the Kracken.

• Cheers 1